Vintage remote control car..

Steve G

While admitting complete ignorance of RC vehicles, current technologies and their use, I can still appreciate the obvious craftsmanship and attention to detail that produced such a beautiful model - well done!!!  Do you mind sharing if/how you will use it now that it's completed?

4 hours ago, MCfan said:

While admitting complete ignorance of RC vehicles, current technologies and their use, I can still appreciate the obvious craftsmanship and attention to detail that produced such a beautiful model - well done!!!  Do you mind sharing if/how you will use it now that it's completed?

It’s a 35 year old frame I got off eBay, all the parts are either vintage parts I hunted down or had made by a machinist. Tons of time fabricating and test fitting. It does run, throttle, steering and brakes function smoothly. The car weighs over 25 pounds and would not take a wreck well at all (neither would whatever it hit) so it’s going on the shelf on display...      
  this time last year I had respiratory surgery (non-covid) and the doctors were talking about a long recovery. So my wife bought me one of these and I bought a few with intentions of having to sit in front of the tv and tinker with something to keep me amused. Doctors said I could be down as long as 6 months but I was back at work 9 weeks after surgery. 
0DF73DAE-830F-4283-B226-826D06FE0B29.thumb.jpeg.dcd98b23c52ca825a733637fd48c47c4.jpeg1FE5B2C6-7973-487D-891C-4E1DBF4641C0.thumb.jpeg.067db2b715491871775e58987dada9bb.jpegDE99113A-44B5-4308-8E0A-3366491336BC.thumb.jpeg.b55beeeccfca65908082b4c91138a164.jpeg5AAF3ACB-4DD9-46A4-A274-3BFB0FC0AA62.thumb.jpeg.798e5d5ec6fd7ef31f30581129913d19.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for the additional photos and info, Steve!  That is a remarkably detailed piece of machinery!  Where in the world do you get those miniature pieces like the heim joints and that simulated Halibrand quick change rear end?  Is it powered by a single cylinder, 2-cycle, air cooled engine?  I'll bet it is a blast to run her free style in a large, empty parking lot!

I'm guessing you have quite a bit of coin, as well as, many, many hours tied up in that beauty.  Any estimate regarding its market value or is it too unique to value that way?

Very nicely done, I'm assuming its some kind of gas/fuel not battery powered? I built a battery one years ago, pretty detailed, and honestly had more fun building it than running it lol 

1 hour ago, MCfan said:

Thanks for the additional photos and info, Steve!  That is a remarkably detailed piece of machinery!  Where in the world do you get those miniature pieces like the heim joints and that simulated Halibrand quick change rear end?  Is it powered by a single cylinder, 2-cycle, air cooled engine?  I'll bet it is a blast to run her free style in a large, empty parking lot!

I'm guessing you have quite a bit of coin, as well as, many, many hours tied up in that beauty.  Any estimate regarding its market value or is it too unique to value that way?

The ones that are worth the most are vintage “as raced” or original never restored, also 70s-early 90s are most desirable. 
 This one being a custom made car built on a modified wcm frame would probably sell for $1,500 at best, even though it couldn’t be built for that.            The rear axle is a reproduction of the SeCo skellenger rear axle that was used in the 80s in several production cars.  The heim joints are from a rock crawler 1/10 scale truck and too weak for abuse but looks good. The engine is a custom built rc airplane 2 stroke with a boat crankshaft so I can run a pull start. 

WOW that is so very cool . 

Many years ago , I would take my cousins to a local  RC track. They both had racers and several thousand invested in each . Many spare parts as well . I was always amazed at the control and speed, unbelievable !! . They also had an indoor battery RC setup .