Intermittent starting issues

So this has happened a couple of times, enough that I can't discount as a fluke.  Occasionally (rarely, though seems like it's been happening a little more frequently, probably 5-6 times total) I will drive somewhere in my 71, leave for 20-30 minutes on an errand, then come back and it won't start immediately.  This has ranged from complete nothing to a slight click (feels like a *little* more than just the solenoid, like it's just moving a tooth or two on the flywheel, but just doesn't have the strength to move it)..

At this point, I've been able to start again in a minute or so after various random shifting in/out of neutral and just trying again later, however there's not a consistent pattern here.  Battery/alternator both good/new, and when it starts up it starts without issue afterwards.  I assume at this point it's likely NSS or starter going out, but what would be useful in diagnosing? This is inconsistent and has only happened when I've been out, so I've not had tools available for at-the-time diagnosis.

Ideas?

As always, thanks for your expertise and opinions.

Could possibly be a starter going bad, heat soaked. But, I'd check the free stuff like grounds, cables, tighten starter mounting bolts, etc., first though.

If you could whack the starter with a small hammer when it happens,  that may help narrow it down.

• Like 6

Sounds like the problems I had. I replaced the starter twice and thought it might be a neutral safty switch. I ended up putting new h/d cables on, a a/c delco starter and a new battery. I think mine has the battery but the prior owner had put alot of cheap parts on the car. 

Click click …. Heart sinking sound on a hot day in the desert. 

First step is the battery post terminals…. …..   95% of the time she starts.