rough idle causes?

cbolt

There used to be a foam carburator cleaner we had when I worked for Mobil but of course it was discontinued because it was to hazardous,  spray that around and it would find vacuum leaks. Worked great to clean carburator and actually internal parts too but had to be careful because it would also eat up floats too. Wish I still had some of that stuff now.

13 hours ago, ripleydale said:

One way to prove a vacuum leak exists is to cup your hand over the carb when it's running, not choking it off, leaving enough air to run. If the idle goes up, there's a leak somewhere. 

Sounds like a solid plan, but at this time I cannot keep it running long enough to do that. 

12 minutes ago, cbolt said:

Sounds like a solid plan, but at this time I cannot keep it running long enough to do that. 

Or it could backfire & barbeque your hand...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cbolt said:

vacuum leaks are a pita to troubleshoot, do you have a vacuum test gauge? Pretty cheap at HF. That being said, and since it seams your working solo, in the past I've just replaced all the lines with new hoses. We used to call that shotgunning a problem but it works 🤣

I do have a vacuum gauge and have used it on it. It was reading around 12hg and slowly wanders +/- 2 tops. Working solo is tough when trying to diagnose stuff like this. Ill get it eventually but it will take some time. Other stuff has the priority right now

FYI.

One time I had a bad dist cap with a carbon arc inside causing a miss and

one other time a bad spark plug wire also caused a miss.

One time the engine ran bad after I power washed the engine. I brought it home and blew out the dist cap with air and it was OK then. 

Don't remember for sure if the idle was rough when these things happened.

I also have had several vacuum leaks (over the 51 years) that did cause a rough idle.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, cbolt said:

I do have a vacuum gauge and have used it on it. It was reading around 12hg and slowly wanders +/- 2 tops. Working solo is tough when trying to diagnose stuff like this. Ill get it eventually but it will take some time. Other stuff has the priority right now

I went back and read your original post, a-duh yes you have a vacuum gauge. 

Seems like you have things in hand, and lots to move forward on. keep us posted on the trouble shooting