Passing on the knowledge

Tmac

Had my 8 yr old grandson helping this past weekend and he learned to pack wheel bearings! He can't be here for everthing and I can't always wait for him to be here, but I think the time spent on a project will help keep him intrested and learning. 20230204_102539.thumb.jpg.a21038f4acc09907c734866c7820ecaf.jpgThey are smarter at that age than they get credit for. Anyway, we did get the front end back together! Couldn't have got it all done without him!20230208_195606.thumb.jpg.d2a1ddeb02f94202b05a9ae445b929a8.jpg

• Like 14

When my oldest grandson comes to help, first thing he goes for is the gloves!  Yes we have to teach them and keep them involved in the hobby!!   Nice job guys!!!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, willie said:

When my oldest grandson comes to help, first thing he goes for is the gloves!  Yes we have to teach them and keep them involved in the hobby!!   Nice job guys!!!

Gloves???  Who needs stinking gloves. Feel the gunk under the nails, good stuff. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

He's not doing it right if he's not getting dirty!! Looks like he did a good job. Did he help with any of the assembly? My Grandson likes to see what I'm working on and I think he is going to get the bug.He likes to sit in the Monte, just gotta get it done. He has his own tool box and " fixes" my truck in the driveway.

• Like 7

Our granddaughter,  from the day she was born, I said I was going to turn her into a wrench wintch.  While she doesn't get dirty working on the Monte, she loves the old cars.  Every year after Carlisle she starts a countdown timer to the next year's GM Nationals.

• Like 8

Gloves for rear differential fluid and antifreeze. I don’t like the feel of that on my hands. It creeps me out, and stinks too. Packing wheel bearings, that could be an exception also, but that’s more because the grease gets everywhere ( I have a tool for that). 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

Gloves for rear differential fluid and antifreeze. I don’t like the feel of that on my hands. It creeps me out, and stinks too. Packing wheel bearings, that could be an exception also, but that’s more because the grease gets everywhere ( I have a tool for that). 

I use them for just about everything. Started around 1990 when I began doing paint/body work. Didn't take too long to realize that always using lacquer thinner to remove body filler and paint from my hands wasn't only a P.I.T.A., but long term wasn't going to be good for me either. That eventually crossed over to mechanical work too.

It doesn't hurt that I never had to buy gloves, and have enough 'in stock' until I'm dead about 5 times over.

5 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

They are good when painting too and when spilling paint much less mess. 

Hence the reason you're now called 'Smurf'...😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Searsman said:

Shed  the gloves :). That’s what pants and shirts are for. 

Yep, until my daughter-in-law gets ahold of my old butt! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 420ponies said:

He's not doing it right if he's not getting dirty!! Looks like he did a good job. Did he help with any of the assembly? My Grandson likes to see what I'm working on and I think he is going to get the bug.He likes to sit in the Monte, just gotta get it done. He has his own tool box and " fixes" my truck in the driveway.

He did help with most of it.  He has a good mechanical/how does this work mind. 420ponies you better make sure you got all your lug nuts after he fixes it! 😁

• Like 1