Interchangeable parts?

Looking at buying a 70 MC with a 72 front end.  What are the differences between the 70 and 72 front ends other than the grille?  If I want to make this all a 70, would I need a whole new clip?

Thank you in advance for the help.  

T. J.

The hood spear is unique to each year.... 

'70 has a point at the front, '71 has the "gun sight", and '72 has a flat pad at the front with an "MC" script in it. 

And each year's grille emblem is different. (Roman numerals for '70 & '71)

The '72 is also the only one with signal/running lights in the grille. '70's are in the bumper. 

Other than that, the sheet metal is basically the same. 

One other note.... Only the '70 has the fiber optic washer fluid indicator. ;)

Radiator support, upper tie bar, grille, headlight bezels, bumper, bumper brackets, fenders, hood are all different from 70 to 72. 

71 and 72s are more closely interchangeable than 70 is to 71/72.

• Like 7

Thomas is correct most everything is different but it also depends on how they did the changeover. They could have used the 70 parts and did a force fit change. A lot of modification would have been involved. Post pictures of where the fenders bolt to the core support. That will give us an idea of how they did it. Most likely they changed the whole front clip ( cowl forward) in that case you would have to do the same. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, BYBIS said:

Looking at buying a 70 MC with a 72 front end.  What are the differences between the 70 and 72 front ends other than the grille?  If I want to make this all a 70, would I need a whole new clip?

Thank you in advance for the help.  

T. J.

Hi TJ.  This may help.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/differences/

• Like 3

If you look at the Monte from the front you will see that the Headlights are more centered in the 70 Fender Extensions where the 71-72 were moved more outboard in the fender extensions.  Because of this, that is why the core support is different because the headlights mount into the core support.  The fender extensions have a hole in them where a pin from the fender positions them onto the fender.  That is one reason the fenders are different, the other reason the fenders are different is in the area where the fender attaches to the core support.  On the 70 fenders the area at the top of the fender is flat where the 71-72 fenders have a stepdown and step up in the area where the bolt passes through to attach to the core support at the top..

That said, the 70 and 71 grills are pretty much interchangeable but the 72 grill is not because of the turn signals were moved and became part of the 72 grill.  This is why the 70, 71 and 72 fender extensions were all different.

rob

• Like 6

Gentlemen- Thank you.  I knew I could count on this forum for help.  Hopefully one day I'll actually own my dream car and be able to be "officially official" here.  Thank you, again.  You've saved me a bunch of time and money.  I appreciate the help.

T. J.

I just responded to your PM, Tom. 

Stay the course and keep lookin’… “your” car will find you when the time is right. 

26 minutes ago, BYBIS said:

Gentlemen- Thank you.  I knew I could count on this forum for help.  Hopefully one day I'll actually own my dream car and be able to be "officially official" here.  Thank you, again.  You've saved me a bunch of time and money.  I appreciate the help.

T. J.

• Like 1