FOUND! : rear bumper brackets

27 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Maybe. Let me check. What the heck is the dude on Facebook meaning that 70 is different?

FaKebook lololol. 70 fronts are different from 71-72s. 70 reverse light lens is different from 71-72s also. Not the rear bumper brackets. 

Didja check yet Dennis? Let me know. Lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Maybe. Let me check. What the heck is the dude on Facebook meaning that 70 is different?

Thanks Dennis. I didn't realize when I took the car apart for paint that there should have been more bracing than just the center! Too much of a hurry to get it to the shop....

As I'm putting it back together it just didn't seem right. Looked in the assembly manual and see that I am missing them!

39 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

FaKebook lololol. 70 fronts are different from 71-72s. 70 reverse light lens is different from 71-72s also. Not the rear bumper brackets. 

Didja check yet Dennis? Let me know. Lol

I found them but I don’t like them. They are horribly pitted. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobW said:

But better than nothing!

You have to understand Bob, the reason Dennis mentions the pitting.... if you are ever at a meet, cruise or show that Dennis is at, he may pretend that he has slipped on a banana peel, or something else, causing him to fall to the ground to look under a car so he can make sure everything is like new.

rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

You have to understand Bob, the reason Dennis mentions the pitting.... if you are ever at a meet, cruise or show that Dennis is at, he may pretend that he has slipped on a banana peel, or something else, causing him to fall to the ground to look under a car so he can make sure everything is like new.

rob

You may be correct. But the cars being restored only deserve the best. The quality of one’s work can be determined by the hidden areas of the car. The things that “ normal “ people don’t look at. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

57 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You may be correct. But the cars being restored only deserve the best. The quality of one’s work can be determined by the hidden areas of the car. The things that “ normal “ people don’t look at. 

OK, I'm not 'that guy'! My MC is being done as driver, not frame off restoration. When the vinyl came off, the rust was at a point where the roof, right quarter, right wheelhouse, right trunk dropdown, rear deck panel, and a full left quarter to source the left sail. Lower trim and bumpers blacked out, Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic.

Paint10.thumb.jpg.06191386d8562c0f98d1b2e40dfd1786.jpg

Interior is custom.

FrontseatsCons.thumb.jpg.6b7fb3b750285ef22f95ffc4a409e902.jpg

So after unknowingly driving the car for 5 months with only the center bracket, I really need some functional brackets for the rear.

Disclaimer: I was 3 weeks out from spinal fusion surgery when I bought this car, couldn't really climb under it, regardless of bananna peels......  ;)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BobW said:

Great, let me know! And you're almost local!  ;)

I had to look it up but you are not too far at all. Ill check my inventory tomorrow and see what i have for rear bumper brackets

• Like 3

I have a full set MINUS the left side outer brace, the small arm that connects the lowest outside bumper bolt to the left bracket. It was rusted and i pitched it years ago. You are welcome to everything else. If you pm me your px I can send you pics of the parts. They do have surface rust and have been sitting on my garage floor for 8 years I think. 

• Like 1

If any of you are following along, I've made arrangements with cbolt to pick up the brackets he has. 

I'm still in need of the left side outer brace if anybody has one available. A pitted one would be OK.......  ;)

I did manage to hang the front bumper today.Paint12.thumb.jpg.170e6484ff0e0e1425bbc42dab9e7d23.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/6/2023 at 4:50 PM, Dtret said:

The outer brackets for the rear bumper are made from round tubing, or from stamped steel, depending on the model year. 

The guy on Facebook has stripped and parted out dozens of first gen Montes. 

Dan

• Like 2

3 hours ago, overdrive said:

The outer brackets for the rear bumper are made from round tubing, or from stamped steel, depending on the model year. 

The guy on Facebook has stripped and parted out dozens of first gen Montes. 

Dan

That was more of a question than anything else, I didn’t realize that they were different. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Was thinking same thing Dan, could probably make something up pretty easily Bob if you can't find anything decent. 

Looking at the one I got from cbolt, I'm pretty sure I can make a brace for that side.

Cleaned up what I have and painted them. Figured out what I need for bolts and visited my local Ace store. I should get it mounted tomorrow.

Much thanks to Jim (cbolt) for offering the parts!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Did you get all the chrome head bumper bolts? If not let me know I’ll send them down. 

Thanks for the offer Dennis, I have them. I had them powdercoated black with the bumpers. Please don't fall down..... 🍌

• Like 2