gas tank

allchevy

got the new steel gas tank in for my 70. car is modified, not going for 100 points redo. but would like to know if the tank was painted from the factory. and if not what could i use to keep the metal look after it's installed and on the road. canadian made.

I used Krylon Semi-Gloss black but it didn't last all that well

next time I have the tank out of the car it's gonna get Rust Oleum semi gloss black.

If you want the bare metal look you can clear coat it. I usually do that on some linkages and gas and trans lines and it lasts pretty well. I always degrease, sand and degrease again. I doubt it will stick very well without sanding but you may not want to sand the tank. It surely has some type of rust resistant coating from the factory, doesn't it?

I painted my tank "silver charcoal", it's a Dupli-Color Auto Spray that you can buy at stores like Autozone...probably even K-mart. It has a very small amount of metallic in it, looks pretty good I think. Here's a picture.

Bill

img0416vx9.jpg

Wow, Bill - the underside of your car looks great!!

You apparently never looked under my car...just cuz the body and paint look old doesn't mean the underside is also... lol

I undercoated it back in 1983 (myself) and it has held up amazingly well.

Bill

Rust Oleum is the best paint around for under your car.. it's only real drawback is that it takes forever to dry.

it might not be as tough as say POR-15, but it's way easier to clean up.. and you can repaint over scratches and what not easily..

Don,

Sanding the tank and then clear coating it will only give you clear coated sanding marks. Clean the tank with a good auto body wax and grease remover and then clear coat it. The first coat should be a nice light coat just to cover and lay a base for the following coats. Let it tack up really well (90%dry) before coating again. I use an automotive paint type clear coat out of a gun but I'm sure it will work with cans as well.

Bill, looks real sweet!!!!

My 2 cents,

Steve

Bill got it from me, it was a new replacement tank (the shop wouldn't touch a used (gas) tank) the sump is all tig welded in there, same guy did the welding on my roll bar, just a unbelievable welder cool

could you give me a price estimate on how much a new tank would be along with the sump welded in?

At the very least add the price of a new tank ($180-190) to the price of a sump kit ($64) and then the $$$ of a someones welding skills. That part you would have to ask around...I got lucky when I was looking for mine, as Sam mentioned I got it from him... grin

You could always spend the big $$$ and get one like this...CLICK HERE.

It's stainless and all ready to go...they have other versions of it with an Aeromotive pump hidden inside of it.

Bill

rhr-4061_w.jpg