Weather

Chris shipley

At the old house I used to split 8-10 cord every year and finding wood in the city was always a chore. I split by hand the last two years we were there. When we moved out here to 5 wooded acres the house was so efficient we sold the wood stove. Now I give away the cut and sometimes split wood. But I still have the splitter. But don’t use it much. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dtret said:

At the old house I used to split 8-10 cord every year and finding wood in the city was always a chore. I split by hand the last two years we were there. When we moved out here to 5 wooded acres the house was so efficient we sold the wood stove. Now I give away the cut and sometimes split wood. But I still have the splitter. But don’t use it much. 

I always thought with the wood stove more heat went up the chimney Mine went bye bye years ago Damn that was a heavy monster

Stove.JPG

• Like 2

Back in my younger days, an ax was fine to split wood. Once you get a bit more experienced, a log splitter is definitely the way to go. You can control the sizes you split for your stacking or storage pleasure. The small scraps that are made from it are great kindling too. I use to have a multi fuel boiler in my home, which provided my heat and 76 gallons of domestic hot water. I used wood consistently in the late Fall, Winter and early Spring once it got below 40 degrees to minimize the creosote. I used oil for fuel during the rest of the year for minimal heat and hot water. I use to split and average between 4-6 cords depending on the outside ambient temperature. A friend of mine that owns a tree service was always happy to drop a load of wood cut to size for me so I didn’t have to pay for my fuel, only to split and stack it. And yes Ron, I agree that there is nothing like the heat that wood produces. 

• Like 3

image.thumb.jpg.b0f168aa4adbc21e83898ecc2807a408.jpgstove heat feels good this cool crisp morning. Backup propane on wall too. 

Good morning FGMCC from a beautiful sunrise in Ky. Have a great Monte Carlo day! 😎 IMG_2163.thumb.jpeg.94b317d86bd692d9facacc5989ec5572.jpeg

• Like 10

On 12/13/2023 at 5:09 PM, DragCat said:

Dam Ron, unless its an optical illusion, that top piece doesn't look like it will fit in the splitter ! 

That was a big cut off of a pretty much petrified burr oak. Hundreds of years old. The splitter sits upright as well. So the big chunk of that one never left the ground …

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

NOT trying to trash ya'll with the snow and cold...........But they built a new TopGolf close to the house. My buddy got a gift card so we went today (1/2 price day) Hit balls for 90 minutes and was fun. I did manage to hit the ball recovery cart (NOT intentional) that thing looked like a mini swat truck 🤣Good Times 

TopGolf.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, DragCat said:

NOT trying to trash ya'll with the snow and cold...........But they built a new TopGolf close to the house. My buddy got a gift card so we went today (1/2 price day) Hit balls for 90 minutes and was fun. I did manage to hit the ball recovery cart (NOT intentional) that thing looked like a mini swat truck 🤣Good Times 

That's beautiful, good for you!

I moved another 5 inches of snow around today, that dropped out of nowhere....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

That's beautiful, good for you!

I moved another 5 inches of snow around today, that dropped out of nowhere....

And since you brought it up, probably the first time in years I've been on the tee without a smoke 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

TopGolf.jpeg

Jealous...lol....same here 4 inches of snow .more on the way friday and Saturday storm... with a wind chill of -15 tonight...... come on spring 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

TopGolf.jpeg

Mark i have one about a mile away. Nice place to go, i have been there a handful of times. I am not a golfer by any means, but i can hit it straight almost all the time. And yes if anyone wants to go make sure its Tues as it is pricey the rest of the time, but alot of fun!!!

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

And since you brought it up, probably the first time in years I've been on the tee without a smoke 🤣

Plenty of Gatorade there!!!   LOL

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chris shipley said:

Jealous...lol....same here 4 inches of snow .more on the way friday and Saturday storm... with a wind chill of -15 tonight...... come on spring 

That’s funny. You started this thread. Look at your original post. lol. Paybacks are tough. lol. We all knew it wasn’t going to last. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That’s funny. You started this thread. Look at your original post. lol. Paybacks are tough. lol. We all knew it wasn’t going to last. 

Don't remind me .lol.. I seen almost 60 on christmas 🎄 day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chris shipley said:

Don't remind me .lol.. I seen almost 60 on christmas 🎄 day.

Same here, I was on a ladder outside the house, in a tee shirt on Xmas. 

The last couple of days I've moved over a foot & a half of snow.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Same here, I was on a ladder outside the house, in a tee shirt on Xmas. 

The last couple of days I've moved over a foot & a half of snow.

Were you putting up your Grinch Christmas lights? Do they make them?

• Haha 2