Waterpump - Aluminum - weeping?

snomobeelr

That doesn’t look like a weep hole. When I enlarge the photo it looks  like a flaw in the casting. The weep holes are normally closer the front and as noted, on the bottom. Water coming from the weep hole is definitely a seal. 

• Like 4

Yep, looks like a defect in the casting that finally gave way. How old is the WP, and what did it cost?

It's possible to maybe TIG weld it up, but due to the porosity of the casting & antifreeze contamination, it could be difficult. If it were mine, I'd give it a go though, can't make it any worse. Do you know anybody out there that can weld aluminum? If not, ship it to me, I'll play around with it.

• Like 7

I thought I was losing it.  Well Actually I already have.  The weep hole underneath is dry no leak there and no pinholes found in hoses. This has been happening for some time.  But last couple times seems to be leaking more.  The pictures are after I wiped it up a little. I couldn't believe it actually was weeping out of there.  Thank You very much for the welding offer its very much appreciated. The Pump has been on the car since the motor was done in 2012. Car wasn't on the road until 2015 and it has 10,000 miles on there now.  Any Suggestions?  I thinking  of going  with a Stewart pump?

Thank you  everyone !!!!!

I’d get another pump. The problem with pulling it is if it’s not reinstalled within a short period the seal will dry out and then start leaking after reinstalling the pump. I learned this the hard way. If I plan on reinstalling a pump I’ll throw it in a bucket of water with a little antifreeze. With a lid of course if you have pets or children. 

• Like 1

Possibly a simple case of internal cavitation. Defective casting. I'd back pressure  the water system and make sure it's clear before installing a new pump. This could be the sign of air getting into the system also. 

1 hour ago, EVC said:

Possibly a simple case of internal cavitation. Defective casting. I'd back pressure  the water system and make sure it's clear before installing a new pump. This could be the sign of air getting into the system also. 

Ummm, if you change the pump you HAVE to drain the coolant system and open it to air. R+R the pump, refill the coolant system and burp it of air. 

Just change the pump and move on to next project. Lolol

• Like 2

Again , I'd back pressure and clean the system before changing the pump. If you have any doubts about what I'm saying I'll gladly explain it.  My Email address is shown on my profile page or you can PM me here. 

I suspect this problem could be caused by Cavitation. 

This may help…   I've seen this happen and it was actually traced back to very tiny leak in the head gasket that was almost undetectable. 

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 4.43.58 PM.jpeg

5 hours ago, EVC said:

Again , I'd back pressure and clean the system before changing the pump. If you have any doubts about what I'm saying I'll gladly explain it.  My Email address is shown on my profile page or you can PM me here. 

I suspect this problem could be caused by Cavitation. 

I usually see my dentist for Cavitation. 

I’ll be here all week… try the veal and don’t forget to tip your waitress. 

• Haha 5
  • Kook 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:06 PM, snomobeelr said:

My Edelbrock water pump appears to be weeping from the top. Has anyone ever seen or had this? 

waterpump 2.jpg

waterpump 3.jpg

Alan,

To answer your original question ,,,,  Yes, I've seen it.

It appears that others have different opinions. I hope it's a simple water pump failure, but the larger question is "Why"  ? 

I sent your photos to a man (and friend ) who serviced and repaired radiators for almost 50 years. We spoke last night and the first thing he said was "internal cavitation". He also said it could be caused by many reasons and one of those was like I described earlier.

He also had some opinions on certain water pumps being more proned to cavitation. short vs long pumps, impellers cast vs metal stamped, aluminum vs cast iron housings. He did say that a lot was going on in that very small area of that particular pump and didn't think aluminum was the best option. He also said that stamped impellers were more prone to cavitation problems and that the stock cast impellers actually ran cooler. 

A poorly designed water pump can create its own cavitation problem so, I'm hoping a new pump will solve your problem. 

He also said that welding this was an "idiotic" approach…. 

The choice is yours to simply replace. Regardless of other opinions, it's your car …  My major concern is to not give you bad advise that could manifest itself somewhere else in your engine or aluminum heads.

Anyone who tells you that internal cavitation isn't a problem in engine failure is dead wrong…. 

Unfortunately, a lot of the old school people like my friend have retired or passed on. 

Ed. 

1 hour ago, EVC said:

He also said that welding this was an "idiotic" approach…. 

I guess if you don't know how to weld, it would seem idiotic....

And I guess repairing cracked transmission cases, or exhaust manifolds, or engine blocks where the starter boss cracked, or numerous other weld repairs is idiotic too. (All real world repairs, not opinion, that worked perfectly, BTW).

• Like 3

Not my intent to step on anyones toes. 

In answer to welding. I don't weld anything that could break again and leave me stranded in the desert with my wife and family. 

Why do I hear Banjo music from Deliverance ?  

Anyone want to weld my new Edlebrock Carburator on while I'm here ? 

🤣

3 minutes ago, EVC said:

In answer to welding. I don't weld anything that could break again and leave me stranded in the desert with my wife and family. 

At least you know the limits of your skill set and don't exceed them.

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

4 hours ago, EVC said:

Not my intent to step on anyones toes. 

Why do I hear Banjo music from Deliverance ?  

Anyone want to weld my new Edlebrock Carburator on while I'm here ? 

🤣

Don’t know much about welding
Other than the little I’ve seen
Under the guise of friends who tried to
Convince me that they knew how to 
Handle a torch. I know this skill is not for
Everyone, so I won’t pretend to even
Begin to say I’m even remotely versed in
Anything related to the skill of welding. I’ll 
Gladly farm out any welding repairs I need. 

• Haha 2

Pulled the pump.  Didn't see it at 1st with the Camera and the flash. . Once I got a bright flashlight I saw it. Flaw in Casting. If you zoom in on 4, you can see it well.  Thanks everyone, time to find a new one 

WP 1 .jpg

WP 2.jpg

WP 3.jpg

WP 4.jpg

WP 5.jpg

• Like 2

"Pulled the pump.  Didn't see it at 1st with the Camera and the flash. . Once I got a bright flashlight I saw it. Flaw in Casting. If you zoom in on 4, you can see it well.  Thanks everyone, time to find a new one".

That's just crazy talk, dude.  You're seeing something that ain't there.  

Anyone with even a modicum of mechanical knowledge knows that is a telltale sign of REVERSE Cavitation (AKA "RC"), where it fails on the outside of the pump case..  What you have is a textbook case.  And not for nuthin', but likely the worst case of RC that I've ever seen.  

I hope you saved the receipt...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya. That’s a bad one too. 

Right??   Any worse and I'd go so far as to say it was done intentionally/sabotage.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

Right??   Any worse and I'd go so far as to say it was done intentionally/sabotage.  

10 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya. That’s a bad one too. 

True.  But Joe could fix that with his eyes closed.  He could weld wings on a fly...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Glen said:

I’m thinking someone at Vic’s manufacturing plant had a vendetta and was looking to cost Mr Vic some cake. 

• Haha 1