Weekend and Upcoming Week Weather and Football

Rob Peters

It looks like much of the country is dealing with heavy winds for this weekend along with very frigid temperatures  with much rain and snow.  

In the Pittsburgh we have had very mild winters and this year is no exception but it looks like this week is going to feel like a real winter.  This week we are going to have temps in the single digits and below 0 wind chills.

Now, the real downer is the football playoffs.  Tonight's Kansas City-Miami Dolphins game in Kansas City will be severely affected because both of these teams are heavy passing teams so it will be difficult which team is more deserving of a win.  With wind chills as much as 30 below I am thinking there won't be much in the way of a passing game because at that temperature I doubt the QB and receivers will even be able to feel their hands enough to tell if the ball is even in them. (They should have moved this game to another venue).

The  Buffalo Bills-Pittsburgh Steeler game being played tomorrow in Buffalo NY will also be severely affected due to the cold, wind and snow.  Due to the cold, wind and snow it will be difficult to judge who is the better team even though I think the Bills have the better team.  There will be so much snow they are advertising, looking to hire people to come to the stadium at $20.00 per hour to work all night into tomorrow to shovel snow inside the stadium because they are expecting 1 1/2 foot of snow.   (The should have moved the game to another venue)

The NFL has moved playoff games in the past due to weather and there is no reason they should not move these.  You may say that both teams will be dealing with the same weather and that is true but since you want the best teams to advance in the playoffs the weather should not be a determining factor in who advances.  

With much of the country being affected by this weeks weather I hope you keep safe and warm.  With all of the wind I hope your power is not affected

rob

• Like 7

Stay safe and warm Rob and everyone else.  I'm ok here so far but to the north of us got hammered the last few days, winds to 70 mph and expecting lake effect snow today and tonight. We've only had one snow event really about 8 ot so inches so no big deal so far. We'll see if we get the foot or so they say we could get. Here's our weather people predicting our weather 🤣

FB_IMG_1704720862138.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

.... even though I think the Bills have the better team.....

Even though they are the local team, I firmly believe they'll never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime 😁. The people around here are loyal though (delusional, kool-aid drinking is probably more accurate).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Let me start and say please everyone stay inside if you can and be safe!!! I worked outside my whole life and my body is paying for it now, but it is what it is...                            

As far as Football, it always was my favorite sport, until a few years ago (but we are not getting into that)!  Football is football there should be no change in venue in my opinion. Was always one of the toughest games, there is no lopsidedness, its bad equally for both teams and all players. They are tough guys and should play in whatever Mother Nature throws at them. Thats Football!!! The way it is and should be!!  My 2 cents...  Not that its worth much!!!   lol

• Like 5

It’s worth 2 cents, so you say. But I do agree. That’s what the players signed up to do. Everyone else that has to work outside has to go to work. 

• Like 5

Shortly after I posted the above about the weather and other things I got a call out.  Out son had borrowed my Terrain Denali to ring to the store.  A roadhazzard popped the right front tire and he was not dressed for a tire change..  throw the floor jack in the car, put on a sweat shirt, gloves, winter shoes grab my 1/2 drive battery impact gun and thermal coveralls and I'm out on a road service call.  

I got there and found I had 2 left hand gloves and no right hand glove.  Oh well, it is a quick and easy tire swap with the floor jack and electric impact gun.  There and back in 45 minutes and now at Costco for a warranty tire replacememt.. not a quick replacement, due to the weather, a 2 to 3 hour wait because of all the people who had not planned ahead and are ahead of me to get all 4 tires to replace their baddies.  My punctured tire, big gash in the sidewall only 3500 miles, gotta love the Costco warranty.

Would have missed part of the Dolphin game..... oh wait, would have missed it anyway because it is only being carried on Peacock.

rob

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Local news just reports bills game postponed until Monday 

Smart. Cuz the weather is going to be so much better on Monday. lol. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Smart. Cuz the weather is going to be so much better on Monday. lol. 

Just putting off the inevitable crying the Bills fans will be experiencing :rofl:

• Haha 3

They just enacted a travel ban for Buffalo and Erie County, starting tonight at 9 pm. So far, it's not bad here, (about 15 miles from there). Real windy and a little snow on the ground.

Screenshot_20240113_160342.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

They just enacted a travel ban for Buffalo and Erie County, starting tonight at 9 pm. So far, it's not bad here, (about 15 miles from there). Real windy and a little snow on the ground.

I’m used to seeing a rubber marks not snow. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, jft69z said:

So get out there and brush that off

26 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

So get out there and brush that off

I'm in the chair, watching TV. Well actually,  the one dog is in the chair, and I barely have any room...

20240113_165829.jpg

• Like 6

That’s football that’s the way the game was meant to be played. Back in 1967, My uncle was at the ice bowl in Green Bay for the Green Bay Dallas Cowboys game. That’s what makes the game interesting. Being originally from Wisconsin teams from up north have, I believe, more dedicated fans, than the ones down south they’ll show up in any weather. And one thing that the game of football always shows us is that the best team does not always win, but the team that plays best does. That’s why the number one seed is not a guarantee to the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

I'm in the chair, watching TV. Well actually,  the one dog is in the chair, and I barely have any room...

Maybe you need a trip to the Hot Tub

rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Here's Joe 🤣🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1703527755522.jpg

Did you notice I have my grinch slippers on?  😁

11 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Maybe you need a trip to the Hot Tub

rob

It's way too windy, otherwise it would be a good option.

• Haha 3

Temp 15 this morning. Wind chill zero. In central Ky. Only to get worse this week. Down to zero with wind chills below. Forecast 7-10 days below freezing. Not much snow forecast tho.. . Laid back in the recliner in front of the wood stove.. ahhhh this is the life!!!. image.thumb.jpg.08bf89b2c45326c9bc8edd092bc40d1e.jpgBut I’d much rather be out driving the 71 ! 😫

• Like 3

Well, what was supposed to be less than an inch of snow, had me waking up to over a foot at 5 AM (less than an inch at midnight). Never put the orange marker sticks up along the driveways, so I made some good sod rolls with the plow (which I also had to put on the truck this morning, but I did put the ballast weight in the back last week). Got to fire up the snow blowers for the first time too. They weren't happy either because I left them in the shed, nice and cold, wouldn't start too easy.

Windy as heck, and 19 degrees, just not real happy right now :toetap05:. Plus the puppy (1 year old now) decided she doesn't like going #2 in deep snow, another added joy this morning....

Almost 3 hours later and most of it's cleared out (including the neighbors), but it's food time. I'll finish up the rest of it later.

Rant over...I feel better now 😁.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Well, what was supposed to be less than an inch of snow, had me waking up to over a foot at 5 AM (less than an inch at midnight). Never put the orange marker sticks up along the driveways, so I made some good sod rolls with the plow (which I also had to put on the truck this morning, but I did put the ballast weight in the back last week). Got to fire up the snow blowers for the first time too. They weren't happy either because I left them in the shed, nice and cold, wouldn't start too easy.

Windy as heck, and 19 degrees, just not real happy right now :toetap05:. Plus the puppy (1 year old now) decided she doesn't like going #2 in deep snow, another added joy this morning....

Almost 3 hours later and most of it's cleared out (including the neighbors), but it's food time. I'll finish up the rest of it later.

Rant over...I feel better now 😁.

No you don’t. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2