Fuses

Leghome

I blew a fuse trying out my n electric hydraulic jack. On trying to get the fuse out I broke two of them. Man them things are in there tightly. I found one of the fuses easily but the other not found as of yet. It is on the lower left of the fuse block and is very short.  No markings on the broken fuse but the block is show a 4 amp fuse and no parts store have any locally. Can the 4 amp be replaced with anything larger. I think it said dash lights but that is unreadable.

I'm a little confused as to why you blew fuses using a hydraulic jack?

As far as replacing fuses with a higher rating, generally not recommended. That size was chosen to protect the circuits for a reason, and also the wires leading up to those circuits. In this case, the wires likely wouldn't be a factor, but the dash lights, instrument panel, etc could possibly be damaged with a larger fuse.

We just covered those small fuses recently & they're available on Amazon and NAPA. Check below, see if that helps.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21342-1970-fuse-box/page/2/#comment-263525

• Like 5

I agree with Joe, it's not a good idea to use a larger amp fuse, it's possible that you will overload the circuit and melt wire(s). Or worse, cause a fire. I too am confused by the electric hydraulic jack comment so maybe some clarification about that would be helpful but no matter what, it sounds like something that shouldn't be tapping into that circuit. 4 amps is a very, very low amperage circuit, I'm sure it can't handle anything in addition to the instrument lamps it was designed for.

• Like 2

I am also  confused about the hydraulic jack portion of your post.  Along with Joe and Bryan, it would be very bad to opt for a higher rated fuse.  Fuses are selected for a circuit based on the size of the wires and components they are protecting.  The higher the current draw of a component in a circuit, the heavier the wire to it from the fuse box, thus the larger a fuse requirement.  Components that draw a lower current would have a thinner gauge wire so if you were to put a 20 amp fuse where a 4 amp fuse is recommended is dangerous and if there is an issue and a component draws too much current the fuse will not blow and protect the circuit and will cause the wires to overheat and create a fire.

rob

• Like 2

I had it plugged into the cigarette lighter. There are not many fuses that will fit in that slot because it is s short

The lighter circuit is fused for 20 amps in that fuse block. 

For the hard to remove fuses I normally disconnect the battery then get the bent end of a scribe under the metal part and pop that sucka right out. This method has never failed me. 

• Like 3

If I'm understanding your new jack right, it's powered and uses a cigarette lighter type plug in end. 

I have a similar powered air compressor, and instead of using the outlet in the car, I found an adapter (made by Dorman) that has the female socket at one end and battery clips at the other. That way you can draw power directly from the battery without straining the rest of the electrical system. The good one comes with a built in 20 amp fuse/holder. 

• Like 2

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7821070

Yout local NAPA  dealer either has them in stock,  or can get them probably later in the day from the distribution center. 

There's always Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-Division-SFE-4-Auto-Fuse/dp/B000CF9G80?th=1

• Like 5
  • Thank You! 1

Thank you Joe. I had stopped at my local NAPA and they could not find any so now I will go back and give them the number. Me thinks you are an encyclopedia of auto knowledge 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Leghome said:

Thank you Joe. I had stopped at my local NAPA and they could not find any so now I will go back and give them the number. Me thinks you are an encyclopedia of auto knowledge 

Thanks Larry, I'm just sort of good with 'google', that's all 😁

Give them part number: BK 7821070

The NAPA link above is from the general online consumer site.

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Pro-Link account. It shows that my local store has none, but the Buffalo distribution center has 65 of them, which means they'd be in the store typically on the 10:30 AM, 1:30 PM, or the 4:30 PM truck to my store, depending on what time I called them. It also shows the quantity in the nearby stores as well, and they'll get parts from there if needed.

I'm pretty sure your local NAPA can do the same thing, as evidenced by all the distribution centers around the country. You being in Indy which is a pretty big market, pretty sure they have something similar.

2.jpg

1.1jpg.jpg

• Like 3