engine decode

montebob70

I was checking the engine code for my Monte had have a question.  On the top right side of the block there is a engine code but no serial number. 

Would this indicate a replacement engine? On a side not I'm not sure this engine is out of this car as it was not in the car when I got it. The engine code is V0417  

CRE, which is correct for my car. Thoughts?

Bob

Bob,

396SS.com has some stuff that might help.

Here's a couple things that can get you started.

My guess is that if there's no serial number, it's probably a replacement.

Scott.

engine codes.jpg

EngineCodepartialVIN.jpg

• Like 2

ODE CExxxx (counter or crate engine) was used from 1968 to current year. It represents any CID and is used to indicate this particular engine was replaced under Warranty. It is a direct replacement for the original equipment. It doesn't indicate what the original equipment was. My engine is a CER code.  So it appears to be a replacement engine. I didn't find a serial no. by the oil filter area.

Bob

On 2/2/2024 at 1:35 PM, Scott S. said:

Bob,

396SS.com has some stuff that might help.

Here's a couple things that can get you started.

My guess is that if there's no serial number, it's probably a replacement.

Scott.

engine codes.jpg

EngineCodepartialVIN.jpg

Note that our site has that info specifically for first gen Montes as well as transmission, rear end, etc. 🙂

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingengine/

• Like 3

On 2/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, montebob70 said:

ODE CExxxx (counter or crate engine) was used from 1968 to current year. It represents any CID and is used to indicate this particular engine was replaced under Warranty. It is a direct replacement for the original equipment. It doesn't indicate what the original equipment was. My engine is a CER code.  So it appears to be a replacement engine. I didn't find a serial no. by the oil filter area.

Bob

Hi Bob, in your first message you said the code was CRE which is a 1970 350 with a Turbo 350. A Chevrolet engine (Code CE) would be a warranty replacement block.  If the code is CER it is either of these engines (check the casting date on the back of the block.

CRE 1970 350 tur 350   300 4 A F X
CER 1978
- U LG3 145 2 G/impala
CER 1980
- H LG4 155 4 G/Omega
  • Like 1

I’ve known since I purchased it, that my engine is not original to the car. Now I’m trying to figure it out. I guess I need to check the block casting number, but this is all I have so far. Not much to go on. Looks like it was built at the Tonawanda plant on Dec. 3rd (my birthday).

IMG_5462.heic IMG_5444.heic IMG_5465.heic IMG_5454.heic

the engine code is very hard to read. It LOOKS like it might be TKW. If so it was from a chevy truck, Also can't make out the date code but it looks to be 1973 which could have made it a 1974 truck built in fall of 1973.

TKW 1974 350 van & bus   160 4 C-10 to 2500
TKW 1978 350 fwrd cab L LS9 165 4 C-20 to 3500

34 minutes ago, RichG said:

the engine code is very hard to read. It LOOKS like it might be TKW. If so it was from a chevy truck, Also can't make out the date code but it looks to be 1973 which could have made it a 1974 truck built in fall of 1973.

TKW 1974 350 van & bus   160 4 C-10 to 2500
TKW 1978 350 fwrd cab L LS9 165 4 C-20 to 3500

Hey thanks Rich! I appreciate it! Just out of curiousity, where did you find this information. Thanks again!

25 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

All Camaros are nasty...... Montes are CLASSY. ;)

Hey, hey, hey....bite your tongue...😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2