Is the owner of this 402 4 speed car on here ?

This car claims to be the first or possibly the first 4 speed one of the 589 made. A 1969 built car. Car might be for sale with only 60k miles, taken apart in the 80s I think. I'm working with a guy trying to get it. I've read they didn't make 4 speed Montes, but I've read the did, 589 of them 402 4 speeds. Not sure which is true. Was wondering if the owner is a member. Thanks Mike.

161o1Lp1z1NLN.1_12.jpg

1970-monte-carlo-nom-402-munci-4-speed-12-bolt-rear-built-september-1969-7.jpg

1970-monte-carlo-nom-402-munci-4-speed-12-bolt-rear-built-september-1969-4.jpg

1970-monte-carlo-nom-402-munci-4-speed-12-bolt-rear-built-september-1969-13.jpg

1970-monte-carlo-nom-402-munci-4-speed-12-bolt-rear-built-september-1969-11.jpg

1970-monte-carlo-nom-402-munci-4-speed-12-bolt-rear-built-september-1969-9.jpg

1970-monte-carlo-nom-402-munci-4-speed-12-bolt-rear-built-september-1969-8.jpg

• Like 3

Well, it's a 70 Flint built car. Meaning, NO build sheet. The last 6 of the vin seems to be early in the production run, so it may be possible the story is correct.

• Like 2

It may be. He shows pics of motor and trany being members matching,  but we know how that go's sometimes.  Was thinking maybe someone on here knew about it.

10,092 car built. Vin started at 100,000. But with correct vin on engine and transmission, I would agree with September 69 third week build date. 

• Like 2

The VIN checks out on the car, engine and trans. The only thing I can’t see is the CKR engine suffix code. It looks like CRT which would be a 454 for a Chevelle. Am I seeing that correctly?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The VIN checks out on the car, engine and trans. The only thing I can’t see is the CKR engine suffix code. It looks like CRT which would be a 454 for a Chevelle. Am I seeing that correctly?

Looks like CRT to me too.  If it is in fact a 454 motor we all know it wasn't mated with a 4-speed in a Monte so if the 4-speed tag on the Tranny matches the actual VIN then it would be original to the car but would have been a 350 or 402 car

rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 70white402 said:

That motor and tranny is a 70 chevelle. You think the vin was transferred from the chevelle?

The 3rd, 4th and 5th numbers of the VIN would be different for a Chevelle. It doesn’t make sense that someone would take a 454 and matching 4-speed out of a Chevelle and try to sell it as a Monte as there’s less value.

I do notice the VIN looks a little odd. Notice here how the 110092 is stamped on a different angle from the other part of the VIN. Has the photo been altered? Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I would certainly want better quality photos of all the stampings. I have questions.

IMG_2251.jpeg

• Like 1

I talked with the seller, car has been through a few hands and not assembled.  Odd to me too. It's been sold so missed it, was hoping it was on here.

My vin is one month later and is stamped by the oil filter. Don’t know when they started to stamp by the oil filter but that serial number stamped by head sure seems fagazy.

The partial VIN that is stamped on the deck is missing the first 3 characters. It should start with 1 for the Chevrolet division of GM, then a 0 for 1970, then an F for the Flint assembly plant. The 6 digits of the sequential serial number would follow. 

Dan 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Mrp said:

I've read they didn't make 4 speed Montes, but I've read the did, 589 of them 402 4 speeds. Not sure which is true.

Mike, you can rest assured that Chevrolet did built 589 1970 Monte Carlos with 402 V8s and 4-speed Muncies.  Several members in this club own one (including myself) that can be verified with Build Sheets.  I believe some club member (possibly Overdrive) is building a data base of known/documented 402/ 4-speeds ('70 & '71) in existence.  However, just from what has be shared so far, it doesn't sound like the car you are considering is one of them.

P2154866.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCfan said:

Mike, you can rest assured that Chevrolet did built 589 1970 Monte Carlos with 402 V8s and 4-speed Muncies.  Several members in this club own one (including myself) that can be verified with Build Sheets.  I believe some club member (possibly Overdrive) is building a data base of known/documented 402/ 4-speeds ('70 & '71) in existence.  However, just from what has be shared so far, it doesn't sound like the car you are considering is one of them.

P2154866.JPG

Thanks, would have been a cool car to build.