Door edge guards

Chevyss

Thanks Guys. I will check out e-Bay. I also have that Trillions and Billions parts house looking for me. Cars still in the paint shop so I've got sometime to search. Thanks again for the help.

I didnt want to put them on mine because they tend to wreck the new paint on the way on!

I like the way they look on there, and they do work.

Im suprised that trillions and billions didnt have them, should be the same for all the A bodies I guess

Surprising but the Monte door edge gards have a different part number than the Chevelle.

I got a set off e-bay. I hear the trick to getting them on is that you can't have to much paint build on the edge...but that may only be true of the factory lacquer paint job which was pretty thin.

Steve

We put an NOS pair on our 71 and they didn't hurt the paint. I was a little worried when I tapped them in place, though. We put on several coats of primer, 3 coats base and 3 coats clear.

I have a driver's side one in good shape. Maybe between Tony and I, you could get a decent set. I can bring it to the Ferndale mini-meet so no shipping costs for mine.

Don't do it. They will ruin your paint. If you have to have something get the plastic chrome stuff. I don't have it, but folks I know have used it and it expands easily and it won't ruin your paint. I know at least a half dozen folks including my self who have either NOS, or repop metal edge guards and we had the same issue. Upon repaint I'll never use them again.

I have had the NOS metal ones on my car since I bought it in 2000 and I have had no problems with them. What I can say is without them the edge of my door would be toast by now. The garage I have my car stored in is very tight and I almost always have to bump the door edge against the wall just to get into or out of the car and I can guarantee there would be no paint on the dorr edges by now without them.

Rob

The main problem is putting them on the newer paint jobs, the added thickness is more than the factory laquer jobs in many cases, and it tends to "Dig" its way onto the car. Im sure you can work them open a bit to make them easier to get on, once they are on,there is no question they will protect the car,its just the damage done while getting them on might be more than if they were off!

There are plenty of people with them on that I assume had no trouble getting them on, I just decided against it personally