rubber hood bumpers

I just replaced all of the little rubber bumpers on my Monte

at lunch.

Why are there three hood bumpers on the driver's side and one

on the passenger?

Thanks in advance.

The bumps are in my GM replacement fender... I have cut a couple out. But I was looking at them the other day and still have a few to add some day.

I heard once upom a time (for 1970's at least) that the assembly line fenders got 3 bumpers and the over the counter (replacement from GM fenders got 1. I replaced my front fenders with real GM ones in 1990 and they each have 1.

Both my 71 OEM and then both replacements only have one each. Cost savings I bet.

Bruce

Funny! All of my 70s' have three on each side.. when I bought the replacement kits they all came with (2) per side? Go figure!

Rod

After 1970 I guess the Chevrolet bean counters decided that those extra four hood bumpers were costing them too much money. They said cut it down to one per side for 1971 and beyond. I guess they were originally made out of gold instead of plain old rubber.

• 3 months later...

I know this tread is a little old but I have a few questions.

Where is a good source to get these rubber bumpers?

I assume that we are talking about the ones on the fenders?

Or the two on the radiator support?

Vince, I had an extra set of rubber bumpers for my car from when I did it, It came with a set I ordered but already had a rubber set, if its what you need, you can have it. I wont be around till next Tuesday, let me check and see what I have, if you dont come up with what you are looking for, you are welcome to my stuff for whatever shipping is. Let me know what exactly you need, if noone else chimes in here