Engine Paint ?

snomobeelr

Since the engine is out I am cleaning it up. Going Orange. Any Paint Suggestions? I am going to get the RPM AIR GAP, if I cant afford the Black Powdercoated one it might get painted Orange as well. Do I bother to prime it ?

Thanks

Didnt know how to add pic's here so I added pictures of the engine to page 3 of my car domain page. I should have taken b4 pictures but i Didn't. Was planning on having motor rebuilt to clean it up. But looks like it will clean up well.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3329691/3

Plenty wire wheel work.. lol it's all in the prep! I checked out your page, nice job! The trunk looks comfy. I had to show off your labor! lol Rod 33296910080_large.jpg

33296910079_large.jpg

33296910078_large.jpg

make the first couple of coats of paint thin and light for the best results

ditto...with the bare metal it's gonna want to run and "fisheye". Fog on the frist several coats until there is solid color on the motor. After that you can start to layer on some good color coats, take your time and results will be good... crazyDavey

Look out guys! I see that he has a gallon of joint compound ready to go.

By the time he gets it all taped and sanded, it's going to be smooth!

Look out guys! I see that he has a gallon of joint compound ready to go.

that's a five gallon stool! lol It's probably rated for 250 or so... ask me how I know?

Looks good, with the work you put into it, it should take the paint pretty well. I use high temp engine primer and high temp ceramic paint for the final coats.

355cuin.jpg

Looks like you got a alot of time in prepping it...follow the above advice and that thing will look awesome... cool

that's a five gallon stool! lol It's probably rated for 250 or so... ask me how I know?

I just need the correct visual here, Rod...were you standing or sitting when you did your load-bearing research?

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs

I just need the correct visual here, Rod...were you standing or sitting when you did your load-bearing research?

LOL grin

i painted my block as soon as I got it back from the machine shop, they baked it, then shot-blasted it before doing the machine work on it.. so when i got it back, I scrubbed it with brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad..

then as mentioned above a 'tack coat' of engine paint PRIMER.. then a couple of medium/heavy coats of that.. followed by several medium/heavy coats of color (I used gloss black)

i used exclusively DupliColor brand engine paint, it seems to have worked REALLY well.. I've had very little problem with it peeling.. just one or two spots that was problaby me not prepping it quite right.

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/engineonstand.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs

hijack

Funny you should ask? The testing was done sitting down.. although the test may of been misleading the weight transfer stayed consistent. lol We used a bucket of similar proportions. Did you get a good visual? shocked

pp33-jr.jpg

I am in the middle of an engine bay & motor overhaul.I used plasti-kote engine primer & paint on the valve covers to test.They look perfect.The stuff goes on easy,no runs.The can says good to 260 degrees C.and is gasoline resistant.I can't wait till it warms up abit so I can paint the rest of the engine.

Nope haven't painted it yet. Just ordered a new intake. I ordered the RPM Air Gap. Still need to get an oil pump and oil Pan. My oil pan is pretty bad, going to get a new one. So it may be a bit b4 I paint it. By the way, thanks for posting the Pictures.

I'm so jealious. I was so excited to get the engine in I forgot to paint it. Dumb, dumb! They look so much better in Chevy Orange. So after I blow it up this year I can pull fix it, and then paint it. Black just doesn't look good.