Did Something Odd Yesterday

Andy's Auto

I think I am officially old. I built a nasty 3.73 12 bolt for my 68 Chevelle a few weeks ago and put in in last week. Went through three tanks of gas since then. But I tapped out yesterday. I pulled it out and put in a bone stock 2.56 Posi 12 bolt as I could not deal with the high revs on the street. Never bothered me before but cruising at 70 on I95 at 3600 rpm was getting on my nerves. It now cruises the intestate at a nice 2600 rpm at 70. And it now gets better than the 3.5 mpg it was getting. It rained last night so I kept it in the garage, but it is supposed to dry up for the weekend.

I used to run an old Studebaker with a big block and a 4.88 gear...when I changed to a 3.55 it was a life changing experience. It was quicker at the strip AND easier to drive!

Who would'a guessed? LOL

I've been thinking about putting my 2.73 back in mine and taking it one step further and swap my 502 for a 350... laugh

bill you just need one for show and one for go.lol

i know a nice black cherry one.lol

I guess it would make sense to explain why I did it. When I did the car I put on a date coded correct set of YA codes 14x7 Chevy 5 spoke rallyes. The tire size is 235/60/14. Tall as a temporary spare. The thing was hitting 3700 @ 70. Got a 15 mile ride to work every morning.

Like me it got old quick

hahah i hear that andy!!!

I like my 255/60-15's in the back smile

i would love to go back to my 240/55-415's.. but at $569.99 *EACH* from coker tire.. I don't think so..

i'm thinking a 245/50-16, or a 245/50-17 might give me the same look tho smile

I've been thinking about putting my 2.73 back in mine and taking it one step further and swap my 502 for a 350... laugh

Have I got a deal for you! I have both a 350 AND a 2:73 rear and because your such a nice guy I will straight up trade you for your crappy 502 and that dreadful rear you have now! Whatayasay?

Highway gears can be a blast, if you have some un-patrolled highway to play on.

I had an '85 305 Monte with a 2.29 gear (never knew they made them that low!), and when I put a 350 in the car, it was like NASCAR!

Brought it to Moroso and only used 2 gears down the track - sounded like a 'glide!!!

Have fun with the 2.56s!

yeah.. i had my monte up to around 140 when I had 2.73's..

in hindsight, I'm lucky I lived... lol

Yea, it can be a scary thing to see an ottoman coming at you at 140mph!