removing the dash

abe72

Hello all,

I hope everyone had a great and safe 4th of July.

I have a question. How do you remove the dash and is it difficult?

I'm thinking of replacing the dash speakers with a pair of Kenwoods. I thought about doing the kick panel speakers, but thought it would be a cleaner look in the dash. Not trying to blow out the windows (done that before) just a good mellow sound. I currently have a Sony detachable face and a pair of 6x9's on the rear deck and plan on adding a sub in the trunk. Thank you for your help and advise.

Abe

Im interested in this too because I have to change my dash pad also and figured I would change the speakers while there. I thought I saw somewhere that aftermarket speakers wouldnt work but not sure. Also ive never changed a dash pad before so am wondering about that too.

It's a pretty simple operation. There are several phillips screws holding it in place above the gauges and in the glove box.If it is a column shift put it in neutral or drive and slide the pad towards you. Watch for the line up clips at the windshield. They may fall off behind the dash. The speakers are another issue. They are 4x6 with small magnets and the driver side sits directly behind the gauge cluster. It was designed specificaly for that location and no room for aftermarket speakers. Some have done it though with a little engineering.

Thanks Jim,

I counted about 5-6 screws mostly around the instrament panel and another 2 in the glove box.

Is the dash glued down or is it fairly easy to slide off?

Bruce, thanks for the advise and the pictures they are very helpful. (you do have pics for everything - cool)

- Canuck, you would be doing this site a dis-service if you didn't keep him....

I installed a set of Alpine 4" x 6" model 6204 in the dash in the position of the factory ones years ago. As mentioned above because of the width of the magnet, you have to trim the factory brackets and be a little creative. I also trimmed part of the new speaker frame to get a better fit. Space on the pax side is a non issue but on the driver's side it is extremely tight. Loosening the dash to get them in there and being mindful that you don't pinch the instrument cluster's flexible circuit pad too much are things to watch. Once they are in there though, they sound great.

Best of luck

On my wife's first Monte I somehow was able to install a set of 3 1/2" in the dash. There is a company out there that makes the small magnet speakers but I'm not sure how much power they can handle. Someone posted it a good while back.

You meant "4x6" right? I think a pair of 6x9 would require more than just minor mods. smile.

What kind of mods did you have to make?

Nice looking Monte, keeping it clean.

If you ever want to pull the complete dash assembly out.

Ground Up, has some excellent tech pictures and directions of step by step removal of the dash and all its components. I used this to help me replace my dash over the winter.

• Like 1

Dah!! Of course your right. I meant 4X6. Since the new speaker has a much larger magnet, you need to modify the speaker mounting bracket for clearance. The existing mounting tabs are riveted to the old speaker and these need to be removed and attached to the new speaker. The new speaker also needs to be "trimmed" for clearance. The left side is the most difficult due to the care needed not to damage the printed circuit for the lights and gauges. The right side has no problems for clearance.

Mike

Thank's for the input guys. I think Im gonna give it a try this weekend. I'll take pictures of the process.

Abe

just in case you need new speakers.. 4x6" oval on the dash that is. link

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I was able to remove the dash pad and install the speakers (4x6). Apparently the dash speakers had been replaced once before as they were not the originals. This was beneficial to me in installing the new speakers as I was able to mimic the install on the driver side, the passenger side was no problem (as mentioned here). Next up is the sub.

I want to thank everyone for there help and suggestions/advise on helping me complete this project.

i took my dash apart once. that was a hot day, i think i set up a window fan in there while i was working. had i been smart i would of replaced all that 41 year old wiring instead of just patching it. 5961106548_be999ca44c.jpg

• 1 month later...