RDL BOX Under the knife!

RDLBOX1970

I recently started my winter project. The "Riddle Box" is getting a new paint job. For those that loved the green.... Yes it's going to be pretty much the same color. Subtle changes will be made and introduced when complete. I'm hoping to have done by April 2012.

Here are a couple pictures of the process.

99% of the original metal is there. The patch on the door was there when I took off paint and I will be straighten it out so there is very little mud anywhere

I would like to find some good chrome for the drip rails. I think I know where to look but will entertain some suggestions.

844f540b614370377b24_1.jpg<BR>

844f540b614370377b24_2.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99% of the original metal is there. The patch on the door was there when I took off paint and I will be straighten it out so there is very little mud anywhere

Its great to have good metal to start with and yours is a great example.

Keep the progress pics coming.

My 70 should have the 1st coat of primer on today.

Terry

There were some chips in the paint and some small dents that were there when I bought it. The people that painted the car before coated the whole car with a filler primer(about 3 coats or more) and was thick in some areas. That started to lift and crack the orig lacquer paint. I couldn't see trying to paint over that again. So down to the metal it goes. cool

So how did you get the old paint off? I am looking to redo mine next winter and a customer at the paint store where I work suggested getting it soda blasted. He told me that soda will take off the paint but not hurt the glass or chrome.

Soda blasting Is prob best. If only you have the space and the equiptment. If you have a place, go for it. I have limited space and a good D.A. sander. Little slower and the chrome/glass is coming off anyways.

Here is some progress. My son has been a big help with stripping the paint.

664df778d1504b310e5f_1.jpg

Nothing like starting with a clean canvas.

664df778d1504b310e5f_2.jpg

I'm going to start making all those lil dents go away.

664df778d1504b310e5f_3.jpg

Look at those lines.

The Ol' Monte isnt perfect, this is going to be close to as one can get. I can just see it. Like a old lady in a wedding dress! shock

Originally Posted By: RDLBOX1970
Like a old lady in a wedding dress! shock

But she'll look so purdy you'll want to marry her all over again! grin Looks great so far...

Make sure you do your best to get rid of those varicose veins of rust and you should be fine grin Great job so far!!!

I have been sanding and sanding and sanding some more! Man there is a lot of serface to go over.

just wait untill you start wet sanding by hand then youll know how much surface there is. Did mine with 1500 then 2000 I thought my arms were going to fall off.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some update pictures. Progress is good. Very little metal work on this side thankfully. Just a few dents.

Got some new parts in the mail for this project! Can't wait to start putting back together. If anyone local has some good driprail chrome to sell, I will be interested.

03bc909101c9887f9a78_1.jpg

03bc909101c9887f9a78_2.jpg

03bc909101c9887f9a78_3.jpg

03bc909101c9887f9a78_4.jpg

Looks Great so far John, and so rewarding to I bet knowing there is way more metal than you thought on the panels. Are staying with the same green or a color change??? keep it up buddy...

Darren.