WTB....Load Level Compressor Brackets

LostnFound

I'm looking for a set of load levelling compressor brackets that attach the compressor to the inner fender well. Does anyone have a set they are willing to sell? I've been told that someone in the Club is manufacturing repros. Is this true and if so, who is it as I would like to purchase a set?

Thanks

Larry

What are they worth, a original set?

Originals don't seem to be available at any price. I have been looking for a set for over seven months.

I have never seen a set "in the flesh" but in the 1970 MC Assembly Manual they appear to be stamped steel parts that are formed and drilled for fasteners. They were probably fairly cheap to make originally. I know someone has actually machined a set or two from solid stock, but that involves lots of labor and machining hours so the cost is high - I've heard $275 or more for the set.

I suppose the demand is way too small to get a reproduction parts house to have some stamped but I would sure like to try to custom make a set from sheet steel. They may not look completely original but at least they would get my restored compressor mounted.

It would be great if a set of engineering drawings with dimensions could be found. In fact, it would be valuable to several club members to have close up photos and/or a sketch with basic dimensions. Does anyone have anything they can share? Thanks.

Its not rocket science to make those brackets at all, Larry has them for around $100-150 for the pair I'm thinking.

I made a set of rear shock protectors one time, looks just like original took about an hour.

His screen name is: 71ss454 * (Larry)

His name is Larry Ray and he is a machinest in the Chicago Area

His Email Is: vmrmachining@aol.com

Rob

I just noticed this became my 10,000st post

Its not rocket science to make those brackets at all, Larry has them for around $100-150 for the pair I'm thinking.

I made a set of rear shock protectors one time, looks just like original took about an hour.

Jared, I agree. I would eagerly tackle such a project, but I don't know how they are shaped or any dimensions. I would think they could be built with common shop tools from scrap steel if either a pattern, a sketch with accurate dimensions or an engineering drawing were available. If worse comes to worse, I have the compressor and the holes in the fender so I'll just fabricate something that gets the job done until I can find or make something better.

BTW, I believe your prices are out of date (unless you get some kind of healthy discount). smile

Mine are originals and I once had a pair that Larry made. His are very good reproductions. I can get more pics and dimensions. This pic shows the base of the original air filter and I used it and made a filter for mine. I bought an NOS filter but I haven't opened it. I doubt I will, since I had the base and was able to make one.

365036373.jpg

365036381.jpg

364424142.jpg

Dan

Hey, Dan, thanks for the photos of the rear mounting bracket and the filter. I need a filter for mine also, but did not have a clue what an original looked like. Did you find your NOS filter on eBay? Do you know of any current source? That looks like open cell foam. If that is all there is to it, I think I can make one, also. Mind if I ask what material you used?

Just looking at that rear bracket, I can envision a pretty simple one fabricated from a long-legged angle of either iron or aluminum. It won't have all those sexy curves and pockets, but it will hold the compressor up off the fender securely. And, since it is not original anyway, I don't see any reason to weld the nuts to the bracket either. I could even use a square nut to make it less obvious. smile

Do you happen to have a photo of the front mount you could share? Many thanks!

Got this one for you this evening. You'll want to level the compressor and raise it just a little off the inner fender. Don't go any higher than necessary, or the hood may hit it.

401579253.jpg

Yes, that's just open cell foam rubber from a bench seat cushion out of an old truck camper. The thin black "top" is from a piece of black foam industrial process pipe insulation. I used the outside of the insulation because it's smoother than the inside. It was 1" thick and I just sliced it thin with a razor blade and then sanded it thinner with a small drum sander on a Dremel tool. The same type of insulation is also used for padding on roll cages. I used scissors to cut both pieces a little larger than the final diameter and glued them to the base with some leftover 3M spray adhesive from my headliner install. Then I used a Roloc sanding disc (probably 80 grit) to sand the foam to the final shape.

Good luck with it and show us how the project turns out. smile

Dan

Many thanks, Dan!!!

I believe with your photos and actual measurements taken from my compressor and inner fender, I can come up with something that works. I won't be reunited with my SS car until May, but I will definitely make this one of my summer projects after that. Right now I'm thinking how handy some plumber's flashing lead sheets would be to create a pattern to transfer to sheet steel.

In the meantime, I have transferred your photos to a Word document and printed it so I have something to show to local salvage yards and filter manufacturers. Lots of folks would like to help find original or replacement parts, but I have been unable to accurately describe them. I even found a filter manufacturer that said they could probably custom make something if I could send them a sketch or photo.

I'll let you know when/if I come up with something. Thanks again for your help!

I don't do the blind bidding thing.

When I did my 70 I paid a cool grand for the pump and brackets. Didn't ask. Just saw it, got pictures, and realize the 1970 new takeoff the guy had had gone for $2400 on eBay. I was cool with a grand.

I didn't get this these. I want one for my 70 but where else would I mount my vacuum storage canister?

I didn't ask for bids, I asked for offers and took the 2nd offer, the first guy only asked how much for them so that was not a offer. I was not out to rape anyone and I wanted to make sure a regular car guy got a fair deal on some parts that are very rare so he could finish his car. I even asked him if they were for him and his car or if he planned to resell them. If the person who bought these wants to say what he paid and what he recieved that's cool with me but I will not devulge the details of the transaction. All I will say is he seemed to be very pleased with the transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some brackets....and then some. I should have them within the next 2 weeks.

I also found an incredible deal on some other parts and I pick them up tomorrow. I'll post the details tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Larry

I found some brackets....and then some. I should have them within the next 2 weeks.

I also found an incredible deal on some other parts and I pick them up tomorrow. I'll post the details tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Larry

If it is what I think bleh

But I will wait to hear like the rest without further comment.

But if it is bleh

rofl

I found a set too in my own tool building. My grandpa had took them off his Elcamino he had a few years back, and just through them somewhere....lol

Didn't even know he took them off. The car was sold almost 2 years ago.