Got my heads back today.

overdrive

The machine shop got them done in just a little over a week. I bought Manley stainless valves for them and they replaced the exhaust guides and installed hardened exhaust seats. The springs, retainers, and locks came with the COMP Cams hyd. roller cam. Got new ARP studs too. I got the cam kit, intake, and everything else needed for the rebuild last Friday. Hope to be installing the pistons tomorrow evening.

402567041.jpg

402567044.jpg

402567042.jpg

Dan

I'm thinking they'll be silver or Chevy Orange. Bought a polished Performer intake. I need to pick out some new aluminum valve covers.

Since I'm keeping my original 2.56 posi, I decided to use a fairly tame hyd roller cam, #270H. Compression is about 9.8:1 and the heads are 101cc w/2.19/1.88 valves. I don't want to build a drag car motor and then kill it with the high gears. It had alot of torque before, with a hyd flat tappet cam. This will be better, but I haven't installed the cam yet. I'm open to suggestions.

Dan

Was able to spend some time on the short block. The machine shop loaned me a ring grinder for a few hrs. and I was able to grind the rings, installed the pistons, new crank gear, and oil pump.

402641496.jpg

Here's some of the new parts.

402641498.jpg

402641497.jpg

Dan

Anthony, I've used Crane before, but I'm anxious to see how well this Comp runs. The roller will be nice. Also got a new MSD distributor and Comp gear for it.

Mike, the car came with a Holley 750 square bore carb and the original cast iron spread bore intake w/an adapter. I had the part # of the polished Edelbrock Performer RPM with square bore written down and gave it to the parts man at the speed/machine shop and then I asked him if he thought the Performer would be a better choice for my motor, considering my cam choice and heads. He said yes and ordered it for me. It came in as a spreadbore. I told him I have a square bore Holley and now a new spread bore intake and he threw in a thin adapter plate. Not crazy about the adapter idea. Since I don't know how old my carb is, I'm thinking I may get a new spread bore Holley, if one's available, or get him to replace my intake with the correct one. The parts man said he'd recommend a Holley Street Avenger, but isn't that a square bore too, or does it come both ways?

Dan

Dan, you HAVE to pass on the adapter place for no other reason as you have compromised nothing on the build. Even if you are only giving up a single HP with it, is it worth it? I would rather build a Q Jet than use an adapter. BTW, nice build brother...

• 1 month later...

Ran the motor on the stand again today, but with a Quadrajet on it now. I'm going to hook a radiator up to it and I'll try to upload a video.

403156178.jpg

Dan

That's the one. Bought the AN-6 90 deg fitting for it and some hose and they came in the mail today. Had to try out the carb and it seems to be fine, so far. I got the book you sent last week. Thanks again! 2beers

Dan

Don't worry. I've only run it for about 30-40 seconds at most, and with several hours, at least, between starts.

I can easily hold my hands anywhere on the heads after running.

Thanks.

Dan

Thanks guys. I connected the radiator and ran it long enough to set the timing and the idle mixture. I'll be installing it soon. I'm not up on uploading the video.

Dan

I was able to set the engine in and make most of the connections Sunday. I finished the install this evening and ran it up and down the blacktop a number of times to seat the rings. The torque is awesome! smile Changed the oil and there are no leaks of any kind. I love it! Roller cams are cool.

Dan

I was able to set the engine in and make most of the connections Sunday. I finished the install this evening and ran it up and down the blacktop a number of times to seat the rings. The torque is awesome! smile Changed the oil and there are no leaks of any kind. I love it! Roller cams are cool.

Dan

sign0173.gif ...but without pictures we will just have to take your word that it happened... wink

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took a couple today.

403381589.jpg

403381590.jpg

Drove it a few times during days of 105+ heat and the highest temp it reached was 190 F while slow cruising around town.

Dan