70 Monte Frame Help!!!

luke_501

I have a parts car that is sitting in the weeds next to my house that i am thinking about turning into a performance beast! I want to use as much off of the old car as i can. The plan is to start with the frame and build from frame up. Im wanting to use a an LS3 new crate motor with all new suspension and what not. My question is weather or not i can use that stock 70 monte carlo frame for that or if i need to beef it up or what. Im hoping to get roughly 400+ hp out of motor. In other words... i dont want to get it all together and stomp on accelerator and twist the chassis... Any help will be grateful! thanks guys!

I am making well over 400 HP and don't have a problem. But good question. Is the Chevelle frame the same? They make some real nice aftermarket frames for the Chevelle body if it is.

I believe the Monte frame is Monte specific due to the location of the front suspension. For some reason I remember hearing a 4" difference? The front of the Chevelle/ElCamino/Chevelle wagon frame would all be the same, and the Monte has a longer front end than any of them.

ditto The Monte Frame is specific to Monte's. 400 Hp should not hurt that frame in the least unless it already has been weakened by rust etc, IMO

the monte frame and the el camino frame ARE NOT! the same!!!

the monte frame is a monte frame and that's it, it won't even interchange with a grand prix

as far as handling 400 hp....no problem wink

The reason why people believe the El Camino, Chevelle wagon and Monte are the same frame is because they are the same overall length.

However our Montes (from memory) have the front suspension set 7" further forward from the front body mounts for our long fenders. Which is what gives us a better weight distribution and therefore a better ride.

An El Camino or chevelle wagon may have the same overall length but it is "my guess" that since the front suspension is set the same as a chevelle that the add'l 7" is added between the front & rear suspension for a longer wheelbase? This is why they do not benefit in ride quality because they still have more weight over the front wheels.

If someone knows more accurately chime in.

Dan

thanks guys!!!! This really helps! Now I'm not as worried to putting a bunch of money into something that won't perform like planned. Im still new to a lot of this so everyday is a learning experience. Thanks