Triple chrome tube grille

LIL' Mac

Just picked up a custom tube grille for the Monte. Looks great, I will post a picture when I get it on the car. I have the original grille out, preparing to put the custom grille in. The guy I got it from had bought it on Ebay, but while his car was getting painted, his car was destroyed in a fire. frown To make matters worse, the paint job was done on the car. SAD.

Yes, that's it Rodney. Hey, how's your new job going?
Hey Scott the job is going very well. Nice grille!! I called on it and they said it was sold already. Can't wait to see the pictures!!

The tube grille is going to require some fabricating. eek It is not big enough, and leaves too much space,especially between top of grille and bottom of hood. I have an idea. Fortunately, I lucked into an extra used stock grille a couple of weeks ago that I am thinking I could use as a donor for the custom one. When I bought it I figured it would make a nice spare. The grille might actual be a little better than my original, and I kinda hate to chop it up but probably will. I have to measure some more to be sure, but I THINK I can carefully cut out the center grid, smooth the edges, and insert the custom grille in the middle of the old grille frame(so to speak). The good thing is, they should bolt in independantly. It should work ok if I am thinking right.

I got the grid cut out of the middle of the stock donor grill. I took some pics but will have to figure out how to load them. I am a mechanic but my computer skills stink. Anyhow, it is looking like this may work out well. I was able to get things pretty smooth were I made the cuts. Figured I would paint that area, silver or flat black. I think it was paintd silver originally, so I will probably do that. I don't think it will be that visible once my insert is in anyway. The tube grille is going to have to be shortened a bit on each side to go in. I want it to fit as tight in there as possible. The top and bottom clearance is tight, perfect.

eek

I wish I would have seen this sooner, I would have took the good grilles if they weren't broken or cracked and the fins were good.

I have a few with good outer rings, that the fins is messed up, perfect for customizing.

Jared the thing is I will keep my original grille too. The donor I am using , I picked up for 20 bucks. I thought about asking around for a damaged one, but the outer edge of this one is pretty good and I was anxious to get started so I just decided to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Jared the thing is I will keep my original grille too. The donor I am using , I picked up for 20 bucks. I thought about asking around for a damaged one, but the outer edge of this one is pretty good and I was anxious to get started so I just decided to use it.

Scott, check them out, what do you think..I like your work. Get it on the car and let's see what the finish product look's like.

scottcellphonesomejanietoo023_zps1a48cbd

scottcellphonesomejanietoo022_zps087bbf8

scottcellphonesomejanietoo025_zps7d9a66d

Thanks very much Rod for posting the pics. And thanks for the comments guys. I only have a couple hours or less more work on it. Getting the time is the problem. Can't wait to bolt it in.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

That is very nice. Can't wait to see it bolted it. I'm still waiting to see the repro billet grille in a car also. Andreas has one but his is powdercoated.

Thanks very much Rod for posting the pics. And thanks for the comments guys. I only have a couple hours or less more work on it. Getting the time is the problem. Can't wait to bolt it in.

Anytime Scott that's what brothers do! Happy to do so, the grill will look awesome on your car, almost like wearing a designer tie.. Now some spit shine shoes a new bow-tie and she'll be ready for any evening affair..lol

I like that a lot. The billet grille is perfectly straight, but the flat faces arent as reflective as the rounded tube.

I had thought of making a grille using individual aluminum plates with rounded front edges and stacking them with shims and long through-bolts...but what you have done there is awesome.

Can't wait to see it installed!

• 2 months later...
Who sells this grill, i want one!

Heres a couple of options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-Triple-Chrome-Tube-Grill-/150925936358

This guy can make them for Montes, from what I hear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-CHEVELLE-EL-C...K-/271128294277