Heart Transplant

OhMonte

In the process of giving my Monte a new pulse. Kind of doing things in reverse, bodywork and paint, then engine work. But I've never done anything in order, so why start now? nutz

block1.jpg

Nothing over the top. Edelbrock cam/carb/intake performer upgrade and all he fun stuff that goes with that, plus lots of new parts (water pump, aluminum radiator, etc), freshening everything up. You know...fresh paint, couple of throw pillows. ha ha

Timing chain was pretty chewed up. Lots of other age issues. Engine runs strong as is, but was originally a 2 bbl w/air conditioning setup from the factory. Going with an LT1-type setup. Detailing the engine compartment now. Will post pics and info as that progresses. Waitng on getting the exhaust manifolds back right now.

Sorry if that isn't as eventful as many of your cars, but it's all good. My goal is to get another 40+ years out of this baby and uptick my HP a few notches. Quite a few, actually. I want to bump those Chevelle guys a little further down the bench at the shows and cruises.

Joe

• 2 months later...

Here is an update....Engine is back in. Picking up some misc. parts that you don't know you need until you're ready to put them in. Hopefully going to fire it up next week some time. New hoses coming tomorrow. That coolant overflow tank is kind of ratty. Anyone know of a good replacement? I read that the car didn't come with one in 1970, so if anyone has any good retrofit ideas, please let me know.

Take care, and keep warm!

image_zpsb6c9d9b8.jpg

image_zps2cc06aa6.jpg

image_zpsc61b9540.jpg

I used a Jegs brand coolant recovery/overflow bottle on mine. Got it in black and mounted it by the battery so it blends in to the inner fenderwell. At the time I think it was 18.99. David

I see you have an aftermarket radiator and other parts so I'm thinking you do not care if it doesn't look like it was produced in the 70's. Here's the one I put on my car...LINKY

img0718ag4.jpg

hey we have the same radiator..heres what I have for an over flow tank..got it from summit for around $25 bucks

2011-09-23120403.jpg

might change the mounting location once its all back together but I like it cuz it kinda matches the radiator

I got this tank from O'Reilley's Auto Parts ($8.00) and an aluminum strap ( 1" X 1/8") from Home Depot. 2 bends, drilled 2 holes, black paint and your done!

DSCF1567.jpg

Overflow1.jpg

But possibly your not using the shroud???

Very nice, Murray! Great use of that otherwise wasted space. I'd say it looks factory, but it's probably too clean and straightforward for that. smile

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the engine is in and running like a charm. I was able to get the car this past Saturday, and as fate would have it, it snowed the day before. Fortunately, the roads were dry once I got it out of the shop. I rented a storage unit for the next few months til the weather breaks. It is currently in NePA, so the Turnpike was out of the question due to the salt, etc.

So the detailing begins...and the interior is next, but that's light duty compared to the project this far.

Here are a few pics of the engine and Mark the mechanic pulling it out to go home. (sort of). And one of me...all smiles. I was like a kid on Christmas.

I did have one glitch, I rented the unit over the phone, and the owner left the paperwork inside the stall for me to sign on Saturday evening. When I got there, they had broken ground on a new set of storage units, and the excavator piled up the dirt, etc right across from my stall. I had to get the owner out there with a skid steer to move it all away. 1 or 2 backups and it was tucked in. Gladly, there was a mason line (you can see in the last picture) which is where the next building will start, so I 'll have plenty of room to get in and out once it's built.

photo12_zps1a3c1e0b.jpg

photo13_zpsf27ac16d.jpg

photo4_zpsf69e11b7.png

photo5_zpsb9357bd8.png

photo52-Copy_zps7489853d.png

photo3-Copy_zpse143c46b.jpg

That's one super sharp '70, Joe!! I really like that shade of green, especially with the dark green top. Is that a GM factory color? What size of tires are you running?

Great to have a fresh, clean engine - enjoy!!

That's one super sharp '70, Joe!! I really like that shade of green, especially with the dark green top. Is that a GM factory color? What size of tires are you running?

Great to have a fresh, clean engine - enjoy!!

The top is black vinyl, paint is original color but not same in terms of the metallic sheen. This paint has many different shades depending on the light. So technically isn't not 100% GM finish, but I think it looks better. Clear coat is from House of Kolor.

The tires are 255/60-15x8 rear, 225-70-15x7 front.