72 California Monte

Can someone educate me on 1972 california Montes ?

Mine was built in Van Nuys. I read on wikipedia and some other sites that california Montes were only equiped with the 4bbl Quadrajet but my Monte VIN says it's a 2BBL.

What is specific to california cars in 1972 (Smog equipment, Engine...) ?

Based from the information I have read, all (V8) CA. Montes were 4 bbl carbed & all with smog control. Having the Build Sheet would help confirm where shipped from assembly plant.

My 72 Monte was built at Van Nuys, sold to a dealership in CA. was 4 bbl carbed & smog control. I believe CA. was the only State that specified this requirement.

Doug

Based from the information I have read, all (V8) CA. Montes were 4 bbl carbed & all with smog control. Having the Build Sheet would help confirm where shipped from assembly plant.

My 72 Monte was built at Van Nuys, sold to a dealership in CA. was 4 bbl carbed & smog control. I believe CA. was the only State that specified this requirement.

Doug

I am still looking for the build sheet...

My Monte has A.I.R, the VIN says 2BBL, and it is a 2BLL... sounds strange crazy

I believe Sam's reply hit the nail on the head. Car built at Van Nuys but shipped out of State to the dealership. The Smog Control may have been a requirement elsewhere, that I don't know.

My Build Sheet was found under the front seat between the springs & another under the carpeting. Van Nuys was pretty notorious for leaving the Build Sheets in various locations in their Cars. Sometimes on top of the gas tank as well.

Doug

By the way I just noticed where your located. Spent about 10 days in Pau (hope I spelled that right) in 1995 on business. Got some sight seeing in along the Southern Coast & mid section. Very beautiful country, friendly folks & really enjoyed the time spent there. Reminded me a lot of Oregon here in the States.

Doug

I found three build sheets in my 1970 built at Van Nuys

one in the bottom of the front seat

one on top of the gas tank

one in the bottom of the back seat

California was the only state back then to require smog equipment...I think lol

My 70 was built with a 4 barrell in California and shipped to Colorado. The build sheet was found on the gas tank. I found another build sheet under the back seat for a different Monte built in California and shipped to a dealer in California. That car was built with a 2 barrell. I know it isn't a 72 but this may help the discussion.

My 72 was built in Van Nuys and shipped to a CA dealer. It had a 4 barrel and AIR pump. I removed the air pump from my car soon after I got it.

My 72 build sheet was in the vertical portion of the back seat. It wasn't even folded and is in great shape.

Thank you for your inputs.

I will look for the build sheet today, and let you know.

My engine is still loaded with ugly smog things... I will remove that as soon as I can grin

well that proves not all California montes had 4 barrel carbs
Pretty crazy thing indeed...!

Originally Posted By: 72-CLASSIC_RIDE
Nice Find! wink

Built in CA. & sold to a CA. dealership with a 2bbl Carb. This confirms not all 1st Gen Montes were sold with 4 bbl. Carbs in CA.

Thanks for sharing your find with us. grin

Doug

I'm happy to share it with you cool

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs
Wow! what a find indeed.. Selman Chevrolet is still in business today, still in he City of Orange.. Chapman & Tustin.. huge lot.

I really wish I have vacations in california just to see the original owner of my Monte and the Dealer...

The 5th Digit in the VIN in 1972 indicates your engine. All kinds of Montes were sold in CA. The H indicates your car was a 350-2 barrel.

J indicated a 4 barrel

U-402

W- 454

Nice find on the buildsheet.

The 5th Digit in the VIN in 1972 indicates your engine. All kinds of Montes were sold in CA. The H indicates your car was a 350-2 barrel.

J indicated a 4 barrel

U-402

W- 454

Nice find on the buildsheet.

Thanks for the input Jared.

I thought California Montes were only 350 4BBL with A.I.R or 402 wink