front/rear bumper question

I need some advise. My friend and I restoring my 1970 Monte Carlo. The front and rear bumpers are very straight but need to be re chromed. Do you all suggest I re chrome the originals (at $390 a piece) or buy new reproductions for a lower cost? Thanks in advance, Brian

If you can get them rechromed for under $400.00 each, I would have them rechromed if a quality chrome plating and a minimum 1 year warranty. My rear bumper alone would have cost me over $600.00 to have rechromed properly.

I ended up exchanging mine for a rechromed OEM Bumper at a Swap Meet. Not the finest job but Bumper was straight and presentable for $240.00 with exchange. Been 2 years now & looks as good as when I bought it. In fact, when I removed the original I could see from the back side where it had been repaired in the past. Glad I hadn't spent the money to have that one rechromed!

Doug

I was really happy with the repro front over the rear. And at $200, its a big savings over the rechrome.

Leo says the rear bumpers have improved since when I bought one, they have two dull spots, one on each side right on the corner.

Fit was fine though. smile

I bought my rear bumper from Tamraz (link below) and it was a perfect fit with no core required. I found it to be very good quality and it was way lees then rechroming. Though, I agree with Sam if you have an original and can afford it, have it rechromed.

Mike

http://www.tamrazs.com/

Instead of having my rechromed I called my friend (and neighbor) Mark Tamraz of Tamraz Auto Parts and we talked about it. The fit and finish is much better now than it was a few years ago.

I have talked with Mark on any number of repo stuff and he is quite honest. I used the $300 saved by buying the repo bumper on other parts on the Monte. No car show person has mentioned the rear bumper in the last 2 years. They'll never know.

Not sure what their cost is at this point, but about 6 years ago I got mine done at Tri-City plating in Tennesee, it was 255 each, and they did some straightening on the front and welded up the usual crack on the rear around the taillight. Lifetime warranty, and its the original bumper,so you know it will fit grin

reproduction chrome plating process is for quick sale and not to last long.... where i work we have a lifetime warranty on reproduction bumpers... we are constantly changing out 2 year old Taiwan bumpers that have rusted away

actually the chrome process is much better on current repo bumpers , i have sold and used them for quite some time with no issues , the aftermarket parts are stepping up quality every day , from customer feed back to dealers like us that actually use and install the parts we sell ,i have handled hundreds of NOS , reconditioned - replated and used parts , there are good and bad to them all NOS does not mean perfect fit or show quality , there are also several suppliers in Tiawan and the USA , so quality of plating and fit and finish will vary , you could easily spend a bankers wallet on a perfect resto ,you have to weigh the good and bad on all parts , but i will say i am more impressed everyday at the quality of the reproduction parts

Leo

My front bumper on my'70 is a reop. It has been in my car for 5 years. It fit just fine when installed and still looks great. Got my bumper from Shermans. My rear bumper is from Bumper Boys. Still looks good. I heard allot of complaints about Bumper Boys, I havent complain. So aftermarket is good in some ways.

I've noticed on a garage kept car, repro parts, even the cheap Chrome mirrors you buy, that tarnished outside in no more than a few years, holds up fine in a garage. smile

I have had my repo bumper on the front of my car for 5 years and it looks as good today as it did the day I purvhased it. As far as the fit goes, I unbolted my old one without moving the brackets and when I held the new repo bumper up to the bolt holes in the brackets the bolts slid right in with no adjustment needed. I am very happy with it. I purchased it from Muscle Cars Only.

I had my rear replated at Tri-State and had to send it back twice and then they made me purchase a core bumper and I felt I was taken advantage of.

Rob