My "Snowball" is rolling

Will

Hey guys,

Just a quick update and pics. Steel inner fenders are in the mail. Waiting of Continental to get back to me with stall reccomendations. Trans is still being built in the meantime. But the engine bay is empty and interior is out.

2013-01-18_11-34-00_987_1_zpsc33c2075.jp

2013-01-18_13-01-09_89_zpsc4fc28b9.jpg

Im actually happy with what I found when I got the carpet up. the majority of the pan was still in great shape and very solid. I knew the Drivers side was toast. Was hoping to save passenger side. But once I started cleaning with the wire wheel alot of holes opened up. So im just doing them both while I have the interior out now.

Heres the bay without the inner fenders.

2013-01-18_13-36-31_72_zpscd7f9af9.jpg

and the fenders

2013-01-18_13-36-26_349_zpsc5a5e70a.jpg

On the upside they both came out very easily because almost all of the outer lip bolts were broken through the plastic. haha

That silver piece is an aluminum patch I made to cover up the heater box hole. Next on the list is to clean up that 40 year old wiring nightmare and get that booster out.

On a side note I decided I have the very FIRST smart car ever. It is helping to pay for its own restoration. When I pulled up the carpet I found this underneath.

2013-01-18_11-38-02_261_zps2d7e56da.jpg

A 1970 quarter, haha. Its not much but at this point every penny helps. Check back,More pics to follow in the next few weeks.....

I've found probably $20 or more total I guess in parts cars as many as I've had lol.

I've also found dead bugs, rat dropping, and a certain kind of wrapper that was mentioned in the newlywed question post about 7 years ago. lol

Floor pan not bad at all, keep the ball rolling.

I'm in colorado springs. Been nice all week. Hitting about 50. but last week when I pulled the trans and motor we were working in 15 degree weather with high winds. defrosting breaks for our hands every 30 minutes. haha

• 3 weeks later...

Update and some new pics. Here is 1/3 of my budget. Beefy full manual trans with allison bearings to handle up to 800HP. And custom 10 inch continental converter with balloon plates stalled at 2700.

[img:left]2013-02-09_12-27-40_903_zps99e856cc.jpg[/img]

[img:left]2013-02-09_12-27-49_788_zps3c336396.jpg[/img]

Can you tell this is where he builds all his transmissions? haha

[img:left]2013-02-09_10-16-50_627_zpsc9adae16.jpg[/img]

[img:left]2013-02-09_10-16-59_826_zpsfd4e90be.jpg[/img]

Then the steel inner fenders prepped for paint and the jeep steering box conversion in on the box on the left. I'll be towing it to the shop to replace the pans monday.

[img:left]2013-02-02_12-18-24_782_zpsb4919316.jpg[/img]

When all said and done I got out the door for about 1800. But she is beefed up and done right. I'm probably going back to have them do some paint work too. They took great care of me every step of the way. So if anyone in the colorado area need trans work I HIGHLY recomend H&M Transmission. They are located in castle rock just south of Denver.

[img:left]2013-02-09_13-27-25_510_zps2bc4ef59.jpg[/img]

And so the saga continues..... cool

Sweet!!! Shouldn't have to worry about breaking the tranny...unless you happen to put out 801hp... lol

What type of shifter are you gonna use?

Will having tried both I would say stay away from a ratchet shifter, they can be a little temperamental, I like the gate style shifter a lot more (I use a B&M Magnum Pro Stick myself)....couple of questions...what are "Allison" bearings? I use Torrington but never heard of Allison....What kind of front hub did he use? Any good "race" prep'd trans will use a steel one (probably 50% of the failures are blowing up the factory style cast hubs).... wink

I took as he used the same brand they use in Allison transmissions. Sorry for the confusion. Or maybe he was just blowing smoke. Either way I guess I wont find out till I start beating on her a bit this summer. haha. He said he will stand behind it for a year as long as I dont do anything stupid to trash it. Im not positive what type of front hub he put in. I gave him my specs, talked about what I wanted and he handled the rest. I found out the reason the rebuild I did last summer didnt shift like I wanted to is because apparently somebody molested the case for a trans break. You guys are making me worried now, haha. He did modify the case to make it manual rather than replacing the valve body completely. Will this hold up?

He said to stay away from ratchets to Davey, so I'm def going with a gate style. Just have to pick one

Fair enough, I always welcome and respect all of your opinions here. Hence why I come to you guys first. haha. But he came well reccomended so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt mostly because its too late now either way. haha. Ill let you know if she breaks down. shocked