Mig Welder - Advice

NewTimer

So although I am far away from actually removing paint from my car I am in search for a Mig Welder. I am currently looking at (linky) this welder. I am looking to start practicing so when the time comes I will not have to worry about butchering the car. So will is the northern worth the buy? Also my other question is about gas. Is it a must and where could I buy it.

I will be going to the junk yard to get cheap body panels to cut up and weld back together and maybe even using the panels I practice on to paint. What gauge is the metal on our cars? 16? 18?

Arthur looking at that mig it's probably a knock off of Lincoln with it saying mig-135 on it. Take a look at those http://www.eastwood.com/welders/mig-welders.html As for the gas you would have to go to a welding supply shop like Roberts gas I can't think of the other place. If you plan on doing welding outside with a gas wire feed welder you will lose the gas do to the wind. The two wire feed welders we have are both flex core setup and have been used from sheet metal to frames. As for the body panels they are probably 18 gauge or maybe 3/16". With sheet metal work little spot welds at a time and spread the heat out.

This is the one I have:

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

I love it!!! The only issue is you have to have 220 to run it. That will be an issue in looking for a welder, what type of power supply do you have or plan to have? Eastwood has some good welders but there are better ones out there though mostly matter of opinion. As I said, the one above is easy to use and it comes with pretty much everything you need including 2 spools of wire. It comes with a spool gun for aluminum too. You just have to get a gas bottle from a welding supply shop like Airgas (down here). It also doesn't come with gloves or a decent helmet. It has a stupid hand held mask which went right in the garbage when I got it.

I would find out what you are going to have for power supply, then research who has the best deal and who gives you the best bang for your buck. Miller, lincoln, Thermal Arc, Eastwood just to name a few.

Good Luck!

Mike

Mike we got one of their plasmas cutter in Dec use it for 220 or 110 and you know it hasn't been used yet lol Our Lincoln 100hd is our main welder, we do have a old Miller cricket which has a mind of it's own when it wants to work and for how long both are 110v.

Appreciate all the help defiantly pointed me in the right direction. As for power supply our garage is unfinished(no drywall) so adding anything won't be a big deal. I think there is an existing 220 already there.

hijack

Mike we got one of their plasmas cutter in Dec use it for 220 or 110 and you know it hasn't been used yet lol Our Lincoln 100hd is our main welder, we do have a old Miller cricket which has a mind of it's own when it wants to work and for how long both are 110v.

Man, send it down here I'll put it to use! grin We have one at my work too and I love using it, though a little messy it cuts great!

Well other question is WHAT will you be using it for?

Just doing the body work on this? Not sure?

Then may I suggest you look on Craigs list or ?? in your area for say a Lincoln or ?? small Mig welder first.

I have a Mig Pak 10 and it is a great little unit It will weld up to 1/4" and has fittings to connect from Flux core to Mig with a set of gauges and a bottle (you can get a smaller C25 bottle for gas and not the big ones for portability and save on $$

Besides you can plug them into 110V, if working outside with flux core and will be able to dial it down to do very thin sheet welding.

And 2 things, the Mig Pak 10 models were the last built BY LINCOLN HERE (or the small portable jobs) and has cooper windings not aluminum like a lot of newer ones...so longevity.

And there inexpensive. If you do the car and never touch it again well not much invested and Lincoln will always have a resale value (for example) and has support and consumables available that will work 100% guaranteed from a lot of sources.

Just my .02 so you don't have to buy NEW to get a decent welder and do what your after and find out if you REALLY like it or if it's a passing fad.

Scott

I agree with looking on Craigslist or similar local swap listing/bargain barns/pawn shops. I prefer the gas units over the flux core but thats just my opinion .

You wanting to practice is the best thing you can do before jumping onto a panel of your car .

I'm also looking into buying a welder, REAL soon. But not wanting to break the bank either. I think $300 will get a good welder like that Lincoln you posted a Link too.

That is the one just below the Mig Pak 10 and if it can do both shielded gas and flux core not a bad unit and comes with the regulator.

For new not a bad buy really and you have the warranty with it and compact and ability to use it anywhere you have a good 15-20 Amp 115 V outlet.

You maybe able to find one similar used for even less!!!!

Just throw away that silly shield and get a good auto darkening helmet for it. They do sell them at Harbour Freight for a decent price (if you have one in the area) they all now normally have solar panel for recharging the LCD lens.

Oh and one other thing make sure the grounding clamp has copper ends on the contacts or replace it with a better one (this is one area I found them to be lacking in the cheaper low end units sold)

If you find one that can do up to 1/4 inch you will have more flexibility out of it as well and not be looking for a larger machine to do some slightly larger heavier gauge work.

Scott

Got my Eastwood 110 and use .023 wire and always gas for sheet metal.But I still use my 300 amp tig for most all my welding.The mig is good for tacking then I use tig with butt welds.Mig is good for hard to get welds.Use fluxcore outside on junk stuff.Your choice but Eastwood offers free ship sometime.

There electrical stuff is junk in my opinion. Agreed!! I did buy a framing nailer from them about ten years ago and it is still going strong. Any electric tools I have bought from them have been questionable at best.

So although I am far away from actually removing paint from my car I am in search for a Mig Welder. I am currently looking at (linky) this welder.

This welder you are looking at from Northern is actually a very nice little welder. I have the same one and use it at home. Had mine for 3 or 4 years now with no issues at all. The only thing I would recommend is buying a better gas supply hose from the regulator to the welder, the one Northern supplies with this is kinda cheap. I pinched my hose one time and instantly blew a hole through it, it will work fine, but you may need a better hose at some point. Excellent for doing body related welding, just use .023 wire with gas and you will be fine. I have used it to weld all sorts of stuff, welds up to 1/4 inch just fine, think it could actually weld thicker metal if you crank everything up to the max and burn it in. I would certainly give it a good review and recommend it to anyone, great low cost welder with adjustable settings. About the biggest bang for the buck out there.