Vinyl Top Moldings? & '72 custom emblems

Nikki

Hey guys! Sorry i keep buggin u! I'm blowing up these forums with all my questions...I finally have the $ i need to do what i've been wanting to do with my monte!

Anyway here are a few things,

I have a '72 custom. And I want to put a black vinyl top. It didn originally come with one, and I'm looking into getting one online, and I need the moldings too. Can u please share where u got yours? a molding set that matches the top...

and i can't find the "custom" emblem anywhere! I search for 72 monte carlo custom emblem, and i keep getting customized '72 monte carlos. I would love to get the custom emblem, you would be surprised how many people dont know about the customs, and think my monte is a SS.

anyway, gotta get back to work. thanks guys! xoxo

Hello Nikki, Welcome to the greatest club around. As far as the vinyl top they are easy to be found. The moldings also arent hard to find. (hopefully some of the members will chime in soon). However the "custom" emblem are the hardest to find. You have to constantly keep looking, and when you find one grab it. But they are also out there. Good Luck and send us some pics we love pics.

I plan on installing a vinyl top on my '70 even though it never came with one. I bought a '70 parts car a few years ago and took all the usable trim of from it including the Halo top trim. I have plans of buy a welding stud gun. Eastwood makes a adapter kit for there welding stud gun where you can weld trim rivets to the roof or other places.

If your on Facebook. Look up Hector Carrillo in Baldwin Park,California.He has allot of top trim and other parts. Or there are other guy's here that sell used parts.

Not to speak out of turn or kill the ideal of adding a vinyl top to a non-vinyl top car(Tony as well) you will need to get the distance of the stud location off of another car. If the studs aren't put in the right location you could have an issue with the molding blowing up as you go down the road, again I'm not trying to kill the ideal. As for the vinyl top trim Jared and Leo might have the trim and might even have the custom emblem. Now I have a complete vinyl top trim either for a 70 halo top or the later 70-72 style trim. Either trim set would need to be clean up and the trim area towards the vinyl top would be painted a matte block(if black top) or a matte color to match the top.

Putting the factory style vinyl top on is a lot more work than it seems. You need to get yourself some exact dimensions for those studs for mounting the trim. It's not impossible but requires more than just buying the trim and the vinyl.

I have a brand new vinyl top in Black. PM me and I'll give you a real good price on it. I'm in Florida right now but will be home on the 26th of Feb. I won't be able to quote shipping until I get home. If any one else is interested you also can PM me. Of course Nikki would be first.

Not to speak out of turn or kill the ideal of adding a vinyl top to a non-vinyl top car(Tony as well) you will need to get the distance of the stud location off of another car. If the studs aren't put in the right location you could have an issue with the molding blowing up as you go down the road, again I'm not trying to kill the ideal. As for the vinyl top trim Jared and Leo might have the trim and might even have the custom emblem. Now I have a complete vinyl top trim either for a 70 halo top or the later 70-72 style trim. Either trim set would need to be clean up and the trim area towards the vinyl top would be painted a matte block(if black top) or a matte color to match the top.

I have saved measurements from the parts car plus also the Sail panel I have off the parts car has the rivets and holes so I can go off them. So I think I am set.

Hello Nikki, Welcome to the greatest club around. As far as the vinyl top they are easy to be found. The moldings also arent hard to find. (hopefully some of the members will chime in soon). However the "custom" emblem are the hardest to find. You have to constantly keep looking, and when you find one grab it. But they are also out there. Good Luck and send us some pics we love pics.

yeah, the custom emblems are soooo hard to find. I think I might need to have someone make it. Thanks for the heads up! :)I will definitely upload pics. lets see if this works...

563068_477467395647253_1619308674_n.jpg

I have a 72, but for some reason i have a 70' front bumper, with the fog lights/ or highlights... i forget. lol Is there anyway that could've been a specific add-on when first bought? anyway back on topic... im checking online for the vinyl top, and im assuming its fabric. so i can't paint it black, i would have to buy a black one, right? I probably will take it to an upholstery to put it one, since i'm stuck at work all day. U think they might be able to correctly fit it, stud points n all?

Niki, the car looks great. I am also building a 72 "custom" W code. Do you have any of the "custom" emblems?

thank you smile

HA! I wish... lol when I bought my car, there was no moldings/emblems..it was completely stripped! there was only the chrome around the windows, thats it..So I'm having a tough time gathering all the emblems (pricey!) and moldings. I'm on the hunt for the "custom" emblems ...

I plan on installing a vinyl top on my '70 even though it never came with one. I bought a '70 parts car a few years ago and took all the usable trim of from it including the Halo top trim. I have plans of buy a welding stud gun. Eastwood makes a adapter kit for there welding stud gun where you can weld trim rivets to the roof or other places.

If your on Facebook. Look up Hector Carrillo in Baldwin Park,California.He has allot of top trim and other parts. Or there are other guy's here that sell used parts.

I'll look him up asap! Thank you!

sounds like hard work... I just LOVE the way montes look with the vinyl top. its a perfect combination. I was advised that I should paint it before putting on the vinyl top, to help prevent rust... I'm planning on going with a cranberry red or candy apple. preferably something a little darker than average red, and really shiny. who knows, maybe once i get paint, i'll stick with the hard top...

confusedkicking Can't decide... just checking my options... im a crazy woman.. lol jk

Putting the factory style vinyl top on is a lot more work than it seems. You need to get yourself some exact dimensions for those studs for mounting the trim. It's not impossible but requires more than just buying the trim and the vinyl.

Yeah, you guys have a good point... Can't believe that didn't even cross my mind... What would i do without u guys!? haha

A buddy of mine has a 71 monte, with a vinyl top. There's really no other montes here in El Paso, so hopefully i can get some insight with that one... there's nothing but chevelles, novas, impalas and friggin mustangs. ford... sick

It's not uncommon for people to switch bumpers over the course of 40 years. Sometimes they can't find the correct one or they just liked the look of the 70 bumper.

As for the decision to get the vinyl roof or not, check out the images in our gallery to see what red hardtop Montes look like and see what you think. Also try youtube, cardomain, google for images of 72 Montes. I found this has been helpful in deciding what colour to go with.

i can't find the "custom" emblem anywhere!

Originally Posted By: willie
However the "custom" emblem are the hardest to find.

Originally Posted By: Nikki
yeah, the custom emblems are soooo hard to find.

I totally agree, they are extremely hard to find. If either of you find some let me know, I sure could use some more smile

IMG_20130219_182431_zpsa22554f7.jpg

Yes, but isnt the CUSTOM part of the emblem cast right into the tail end of the Impala? Im pretty sure its connected and the two words are one casting, or maybe thats a different year Im thinking of. confused

Yep, both word are cast as one, check this one out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-73-74-75-7...n-/230931006173

These are not the same, but look nice, not sure of the dimensions

http://www.impalas.com/1968-chevy-impala-custom-front-fender-emblems-pair/t2717.html

I decided to share some of my stash. I will only sell 4 of these, & will keep the other 4 for myself. The best 2 I am keeping for myself, the other 6 are for sale & have various prices according to their condition, the 2 out of this 6 that dont sell I will keep. I cleaned these up & repainted the black. I will make a post in the for sale section also. Please PM or call me if interested, thanks Cory 517 206 6980

IMG_20130223_021050_zps16bd7f79.jpg

link to pics of ones for sale

http://s1295.beta.photobucket.com/user/CKZ03/library/CUSTOM%20EMBLEMS%20FOR%20SALE