where do I start

Boots

Hello all!!!!

Well I got this "beauty" on ebay. drove 10 hours to pick it up..now I'm asking myself what I got into..

I am in need of..

1. now floor from tunnel to rear seats

2. new trunk pan from rear backrest to the trunk lock

3. inner and outer quarters

4. both quarters...egaad!!!!!

my wife calls me a big ol dumbass..I almost agree

I have someone I am going to help, do the job...however I would like some opinions from the forum as to the sequence of panel replacement that would be the safest and best way

On my way!!

Bill...and thankshttp://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/tongue.gif

Most of the parts you need are being produced. The outer wheel house isn't yet that I know of. I had to buy the Chevelle Outer wheel house and cut it in half and weld in a filler piece. Others should chime in with more info. Good Luck with your project. Post pictures to. We all love pictures

When doing the floor pan make sure you brace the inner frame work. We did full quarter panels on our El Camino about the same time we did the floor. Main thing with sheet metal is to take your time and not to put to much heat on the panel as it will wrap. As for #4 closest thing you will be able to find is quarter skins.

sorry... I should have mentioned that I have all of the parts on order and should be here soon..I am using chevelle inner and outer housings, so they will match up, as I have to replace them both and am making the width of the wheelhouse a "little" bigger (hint,hint)

WOW that was a super fast response.

I have been looking at several other post and knew about the bracing..just wondering what order of replacement..seat pan 1st then go back..there is just so much to be replaced I dont want to get into any body flexing and non alignment of panels

IMO seat pan 1st then trunk then 1/4s..???

Bill, don't be so hard on yourself. The most important thing is that once you get all the new sheet metal on the old girl, she'll be nice and fresh and you will never need to do it again because it will never see winter. Even if you just had small holes or serious rust spots, the best thing to do is to replace the floors and trunk anyway while the car is apart. So, you'll be better off in the long run I.M.O. I've never done a body off restoration but I say this based on what I've read and learned.

You'll get there. You've learned a lot already and will learn the rest as you go from the knowledgeable Members of this great club.

When all is said and done, you are going to have one super nice Monte there.

It was great seeing you again last weekend and the other day. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Your outer wheelhouses will need some attention.I hope you got the 1970 chevelle outers, '72's do not fit well. '70's need the least amount of attention. you just roll the lip down to your quarter skin, then a 3/8" wide strip to connect the outer to the quarter skin. sounds simple, huh. Anyone with sheetmetal replacement experience can help you out with this. Start with the floorpan first then the wheel houses AFTER the floorpan. drill out all of the spot welds. brace across the back uprights behind the front seats. this is the most critical area before taking out those vertical braces. They will "pop" when you remove the spot welds. realign and clamp these back in before welding in. Are you talking the rear panel that goes up to your trunklid? that is the tailpanel. you will have to find a donor car for that piece. I lucked out and found one in Illinois in rust free shape from a member on here. Your story sounds just like mine when I got it home to look over closely. found rot on the rear floor under the rear seat,holes in the inner wheel houses,pinholes of rust on the outer wheelhouse and rear quarters.new tailpanel,trunklid,quarter skins,floorpan under the rear seat(I used the 2 piece kind) then overlapped my tunnel piece.I should have used the 1 piece kind.(not availible at the time).Feel free to PM me about this.You'll like it when all the hard work is done. No more Rust! Hope this helps some.Good luck and take your time.

Dont get the one peice floor pan, it sounds like a good idea but its for a chevelle. It will work but was told it wont fit in the car so it has to be cut anyhow and shipping is more because it a large peice. I havent done it my self but another guy I know tried and failed. just a thought. Has anyone else heard of this?