Stolen SS 454

edlipman

I still have my peepers on! If it's of any consolation, I hope you find it.. give us an update on what you're doing to recover it? I know it's been missing for some time. Good luck.

Rod

fgmcc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but if it didn't get parted out, more then likely someone bought a broken down rusted 70 Monte and switched the VIN plates. This is fairly common and easy to do on the older cars. The other sad thing is the Police really spend little or no time looking for your stolen vehicle. Sometimes they get lucky though and stumble across it.

• 3 months later...

Ed here is a funny story. 1993 Super Chevy Sunday at Moroso in West Palm. A guy rolls up with a rollback 3500 Chevy with a triple green fiber optic SS454 on it's back. Older guy with lots of South Carolina drawl to him. There were a few things I distincly remember about him. He said he was kicked out of some Monte club for a fistfight. I would guess he was in his late 60's. He was pissed because our SS took first place over his completely original unrestored car. He left spinning the tires of the rollback on his way out after the awards were given out. And his name was Hap Hargrove.

The thing that got me was the fiber optics. We had never seen it and he made such a big deal over it. I might try to get aold of my bud to see if he still has pictures of it.

It is funny how some things just stick in your mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zebebad

Found this in a search, could this be the guy ? wouldn't think there would be mnny with that name. Richard Howard "Hap" Hargrove

Richard Howard "Hap" Hargrove, 78, of 2nd Street, Ardmore, AL, died Friday, July 15, 2005, at Huntsville Hospital, Huntsville, AL.

Funeral Services were held Monday, July 18, 2005, at 2 p.m. at Ardmore Memorial Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Sammy Brister and Rev. Willie Earl officiating. Burial was in the Gatlin Cemetery in Ardmore with Ardmore Memorial Funeral Home in charge. Pallbearers were Jimmy Lewis, Brian Adcock, Bobby Lang, Bobby Rolin, Moody King, and Billy Willis.

Hap was born December 22, 1926, in Ardmore, TN, to George William Hargrove and Sally Daly Hargrove. He lived most of his life in Ardmore and operated Hap's Auto Sales for more than 30 years. He was an Army veteran. Hap was preceded in death by his parents and his wife, Frances Jewel Hargrove, who died July 21, 2003.

Survivors include two sons, Farron Hargrove and Barron Hargrove both of Ardmore, AL; one brother, Mahlon "Big" Hargrove of Elkton, TN; two sisters, Christine Gates of Fayetteville, TN, and Louise Locke of Oxford, AL; five grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Found this in a search, could this be the guy ? wouldn't think there would be mnny with that name. Richard Howard "Hap" Hargrove

Richard Howard "Hap" Hargrove, 78, of 2nd Street, Ardmore, AL, died Friday, July 15, 2005, at Huntsville Hospital, Huntsville, AL.

Funeral Services were held Monday, July 18, 2005, at 2 p.m. at Ardmore Memorial Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Sammy Brister and Rev. Willie Earl officiating. Burial was in the Gatlin Cemetery in Ardmore with Ardmore Memorial Funeral Home in charge. Pallbearers were Jimmy Lewis, Brian Adcock, Bobby Lang, Bobby Rolin, Moody King, and Billy Willis.

Hap was born December 22, 1926, in Ardmore, TN, to George William Hargrove and Sally Daly Hargrove. He lived most of his life in Ardmore and operated Hap's Auto Sales for more than 30 years. He was an Army veteran. Hap was preceded in death by his parents and his wife, Frances Jewel Hargrove, who died July 21, 2003.

Survivors include two sons, Farron Hargrove and Barron Hargrove both of Ardmore, AL; one brother, Mahlon "Big" Hargrove of Elkton, TN; two sisters, Christine Gates of Fayetteville, TN, and Louise Locke of Oxford, AL; five grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

That is interesting. I just wonder if he was into stealing SS cars?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe this Hap Hardgrove had more than one Monte, But I remember talking to him at the 88 NMCOA Event and his car was a 71 I have a pic of it.

Lyle

Ed,

There is a guy in Valley Stream, NY with two SS454 Montes which he claims are survivors. A triple green 70, and a Triple Black 71. Only saw him a few times at cruises here. Rubbed us the wrong way. I can't remember if it had fiber optic but we are awfully close to Jersey and the guy has had them for years.

Last year he had both listed in Hemmings multiple times (with a (718) phone number but he was asking $20k for 70 and $25K for 71. Too much money for cars that are in good driver/low rust condition but need to be restored. He believes because they are "survivors" they are worth more....not true. I believe he lives in Queens but keeps the cars in a garage in Valley Stream.

Hope it helps. Steve (Monteman71) is also familiar with these cars, I'll see if he remembers.

Good Luck.

Dan

Its been 20 years now, since it happend but I have saw several stories of cars being returned to their original owner after 30+ years.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Hey Ed, any chance it crossed the border somehow to Canada?

Yep anything is possible Larry/Ed my 1970 Chevelle SS Cortez Silver with black vinyl top car disappeared in 1987 from my driveway and did surface in Vancouver BC via a Team Chevelle member seeing it but then lost sight before anything could be done and then it was seen in Spokane USA.?? so somehow it got across the border and also disappeared. Strange thing is I still have the keys for it some 25 years later and thats the only set that I knew of. I am sure it got parted out Stateside possibly.

Still hopeing some day somewhere..... ya right... frown

Darren.