engine power

jacob

its been a couple months since the Monte last ran so fired it up today and wanted to get your opinions on what power my motors putting out the engine builder said close to 350HP before the new aluminum heads.

Heres the specs

350 Chevy bored .40 over.

crank was ground down I think by .10

hyperdralic pistons

aluminum cylinder heads from proheader there 120s 64cc angled plugs that I was told were positioned in the lowest pressure zone in the cylinder making a larger spark ... the threads on the spark plugs are real long to reach this area.

the compression is in the low tens I can check the exact compression though.

the intake manifold is a edelbrock 2101 performer intake

the carburetor is a edelbrock performer series 600 cfm

the motor is a two bolt main any concerns or opinions.

I have flow tech long tube headers I had to heat them up and put a few dings in them for the spark plug boots to fit on the spark plug. but they fit good around the motor I'm also using a high performance mini starter so you may have a tight fit if you are using a regular starter. I got my headers uncoated so if i needed to beat them up I could with out chipping it all off and there's a guy locally that can ceramic coat them inside and out. smile

I couldn't find any real info either the cam card is pretty limited on info so heres the only other info I have. I tried to put it in the same format as the cam card.

lobe ctrs valve lift cam lift

INT. EXH. INT. EXH. INT EXH

106 110 .480 .480 .320 .320

I also found some info on the cylinder heads 64cc chamber- 198cc. 2.020 intake/ 1.600 exhaust - angled plug.

the Monte had probably 250 HP before and no problem speeding on down the road I cant wait to drive it now. shifter

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about changing out my 10 bolt 2:73 ratio peg leg rear end to a 12 bolt with posi traction. Should I buy a crate rear end or use my parts car 12 bolt rear end... could you put a posi traction carrier in a non posi rear end housing. its not something im looking to do right now but it would be nice to install every thing before the body goes back down. And what gear ratio do you suggest I plan on going to the drag strip some and driving on the street and I do have a TH 350 so that will probably have to be changed. its alright though I only payed $ 350 dollars for it and I can use it at a back up for the other Monte. cool

have your parts car 12 bolt built up with a posi unit. Had mine completely redone, all new guts for around $1200 parts & labor. If you plan on using the th350 I wouldn't go much beyond a 3.55 gear. If you go with an overdrive trans you could go with 3.73 or 4.11. Depends on how your going to drive it.

Me and Steve are both running 3:31 with the billet lower gear set in our trannys with stall converters. The new converters are very tight and you do not feel it driving normal.

With the billet 2:75 lower gear set first gear will feel like 3:64 off the line (with 3:31 rear gear) and in final drive ratio of 1:1 you can enjoy your 3:31 on the highway. Best of both worlds. Bullet proof built turbo 400, keep your #'s matching tranny in car, taller gear off the line for our heavy cars ……… and you can always add a gear vendors if you choose for an overdrive.

Dan

So just keep the TH 350 and go with the gear vendors setup ... Does having the gear vendors with overdrive for every gear make it a six speed if you have a TH 350.

Does having the gear vendors with overdrive for every gear make it a six speed if you have a TH 350.

Yes and no...yes if want to manually shift the gears via a button on the floor or on the shift handle and also shift your existing tranny using the gear selector at the same time. You also have the option to leave it "auto" mode and it will shift once into overdrive at 45mph and when you slow down to 22mph it will automatically shift out of overdrive.

• 2 weeks later...

A 331 is a great gear and would def be an upgrade over what you have now. If you notice a lot of the BB guys who don't have to worry about low end tq are running them and even the ones who run their cars on the track have respectable times. That being said keep in mind that you have a mild small block. Now I don't know what your intentions are but it seems that with the upgrades you are doing you have a I'll "go fast" in your blood??? If you want that mill to get up and go don't hesitate to go 355-373. They'll put a big smile on your face. The best of both worlds, hot doggin around town and keeping up with traffic on the highway. Now if you want more than that then get ready for that overdrive. Wish I had one at times

I'm doing a 200r4 conversion in my Monte. It has a stock 350 300hp but I have plans to build it up mildly. I've heard of a lot of people converting from the th350 to the 200r4 and then making the 12bolt a posi with 3:73 gear in the rear. Thats the combo I plan on running. The 200 will bolt right in place of the 350 as long as you move the crossmember back. Just thought this could be helpful if you wanted to take it that far.