What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I finally received the last of my new interior parts so I pulled the seat and carpet out of the 70 today. I'll be getting the seats recovered with covers from Legendary, putting in new carpet from ACC and also new door panels from PUI. The rust is not too bad considering this is the first time in 47 years that the carpet has been pulled up. Just surface and some flaking. No holes or weak metal. In any case, I have some wire brushing to do.

A couple interesting things found. On the driver's side floor under the black sound deadening material there was a short piece of drip rail trim (see photo). It is the vertical piece for behind the quarter window. Does this qualify as NOS?? LOL. Also found under the wire looming on the driver's floor was a 1969 Canadian dime (see photo). I find it interesting that it is a Canadian dime since the car was built in Baltimore. The carpet sections also had tags on them with the date they were made.

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2833.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like you have a little more work than just a wire Brush. Are you going to seal it with something like that pore stuff everyone talks about? I may doing this soon also. I want to replace carpet and add some sound proofing.

I took my Monte for a short ride. As I posted before, I was recently notified that I was losing my Monte Storage garage on January 1st so I needed to act immediately because I am going to be laid up for awhile. I was able to find a nice garage and moved her from one garage storage area to another yesterday.

rob

• Like 1

Hey Rob, Glad you found a new Monte storage garage so fast. I hope its close to you. Laid up again, OHHH boy. Hope all will be well.

Going to try and start ripping the engine apart today. Have to make some room on the work table first. lol

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get the 71 out for another drive or two before my insurance runs out on Nov 4th but the weather has not been cooperating with cloudy skies and threats of rain. I drove it to work Friday which was nice.

• Like 1

I took my Monte for a short ride. As I posted before, I was recently notified that I was losing my Monte Storage garage on January 1st so I needed to act immediately because I am going to be laid up for awhile. I was able to find a nice garage and moved her from one garage storage area to another yesterday.

rob

I'm glad you found another storage place Rob. If you were closer. I got room in my garage.
  • Like 1

Hey Rob, Glad you found a new Monte storage garage so fast. I hope its close to you. Laid up again, OHHH boy. Hope all will be well.

Going to try and start ripping the engine apart today. Have to make some room on the work table first. lol

Willie,

Yeah, I damaged my Right Achilles Tendon shortly after the Carlisle GM Nationals while pushing my Model A Ford to pop the clutch to get it started and pushed off to hard.  They were trying to treat it by me wearing a boot and going through a couple rounds of Physical Therapy with no relief.  It has been a long time in a air cast.  On the 15th they are going to do a procedure called Platelet Rich Plasma Injection or PRP.  They will take my blood and spin it down and then inject the plasma portion which contains the platelets directly into the the tendon.

Following this I will not be allowed to put any weight on that leg for 3 weeks.  The 4th week only my toe can touch the floor, the 5th week 25% touch and the 6th week only 50% weight so I will be on crutches for a long time.

Glad to hear you are making progress on your car.  Hopefully it will be ready for the 2020 Carlisle show Eastern Meet for the 50 years of Monte Celebration.

rob

Today I got my pre-assembled door panels from PUI all together. They come without any holes cut in them so I had to cut all the necessary holes for the arm rest, pull straps, window switches, mirror remote, etc. I was quite afraid of cutting the holes but it all turned out great. I just took my time and made sure I was careful. When I received the door panels, at first I was a little disappointed that they were not factory correct panels (Extra chrome) but they do fit nice and are good quality. I may still move over the correct horizontal chrome strips with the black paint from my original panels but have not decided yet. I still have to do the rear ones but the only cutting will be the window switch.

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2838.JPG

Aaron the door panels I purchased from Legendary had the holes for the arm rest and window crank but not the chrome trim. I had to punch the holes for the trim but like you siad slow and easy made it work out.

Dropped the front seat off with the upholstery guy yesterday with the new replacement covers and foam from Legendary Interiors. Can't wait to see what they look like when done. I have not decided if I am going to get the rear seat done also. It's not too bad and I still have young kids.

post-98-0-20621900-1477768848.jpg

I took the 71 to work today. It will be put away for the winter starting Saturday. It is a nice day so I took it for a cruise to the beach for lunch.

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 2

How's the progress on the 70?

I've been working on the new interior panels. I have a few parts to order before I can put the door panels back on. I'll be attacking the rusty floor and POR15 this weekend. Then I can put the new package tray and carpet in.

• Like 1

Put the Monte up on Jack stands, added stabil to the gas and fogged the motor. Still have to bleed the brakes replace the carpet and add some sound proofing. I also want to change out the door panels but that may have to wait for another winter storage.post-1188-0-57787200-1478212107_thumb.jpg

Put the Monte up on Jack stands, added stabil to the gas and fogged the motor. Still have to bleed the brakes replace the carpet and add some sound proofing. I also want to change out the door panels but that may have to wait for another winter storage.attachicon.gifIMG_1788.JPG

Hi Glen, do you use fog spray and do you spray it down the carb or do you pull the plugs and spray it in each cylinder?

Hi Glen, do you use fog spray and do you spray it down the carb or do you pull the plugs and spray it in each cylinder?

You may think I am weird but I use a spray fogger through the carb until it chokes the motor out. Then I pull the plugs and drop an ounce or 2 of 10w30 down each cylinder and pull it over by hand then put the plugs back in. It's an old snowmobile ritual I used on 2 stroke motors.

I do the same regarding spraying the fogger down the carb until it chokes out. I figure it would coat the internals some so I don't pull the plugs. I'm no expert though.

I have seen evidence on 2 stroke motors of rings starting to rust to cylinder walls with just fogging oil. So I started dumping a little extra reassurance down the cylinders. I have a syringe with a long tube on it to dump oil down the cylinders. It smokes like crazy when started in the spring. It doesn't last long though. Call me strange....I am ok with that.
  • Like 1

I took the 71 to work today. It will be put away for the winter starting Saturday. It is a nice day so I took it for a cruise to the beach for lunch.

Aaron your Monte is beautiful!

• Like 1

I currently have the steering coupler apart and am waiting for the replacement to be delivered. So I decided to work on getting my heat working again. I have a fabricated block off for the A/C and have a 90 degree 2.5" pipe coming out from the heater core directed at what's left of the blower motor. Tonight I fabricated a piece of sheet metal to join the two.