What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Well as most know I have been trying to get the parts to black out the tail panel and after 3 years that dream became reality today. Again I apologize to the 71SS guys for stealing the look for my 70 but can you blame me? I don't plan on going clone. Just like the look and since my car isn't numbers matching or original I decided to do with it what I want.

post-1188-0-35862900-1492441205_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Glen, I think that is the first time I've seen that done on a non-SS first gen.  I also somehow missed the black hood/deck stripes which complement the new accent panel.  Is that a power antenna on the right rear quarter?

Yep, it's electric. The old one was a non electric and I got tired of it being in the way when off. The hole was already there so I didn't have much choice.

Close to having her all back together again.  Basically, paint is done as is my work on the Grill.  Still have to finalize installing/securing remaining bolts but other than the 2 horns and radiator custom top plate, I think I am done for awhile with some minor items I may chase after next.  Anyway, a before & after.  Before not very representative but essentially, cleaned, painter Core Support area and repainted Fan Shroud.  Grill also received attention.   Once I get the battery recharged and everything anchored down, I can move it outside for a better look. :)  

Doug 

post-458-0-71952600-1492551128_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-20824100-1492551186_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-70727900-1492551240_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-87277200-1492551303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well stopped by the shop to see my Monte and my Cousin was working on her. Does the gap look right? He said he's got it where he wants it to be. It will be coming back off when it's time for paint.

post-624-0-03253500-1492735274_thumb.jpeg

Guest PosiRon

Well, after running out of gas the other day I decided that was it. I need to get into the fuel tank / gauge repair mode because I am not siting next to the road again waiting for my wife to bring me some gas... 

Happy to say that after some digging online here to help diagnose the problem the gauge functions well when grounding the sending the wire ect.

So.... I set off to drop the tanks, I had ordered a new sender a while back when I first bought the car so tool advantage, sanded and scrubbed exterior of tank (interior was clean as can be) painted it black with some automotive anti rust stuff, put in the new sender and ...sweet if the gauge worked. I added 5 gallons of fuel that I had pumped out and it read a bit over and 1/8 of the tank. So, I headed to my local Shell pumped in an additional 10 gallons of premium and it went just past 3/4 almost to full with about 15 gallons in the tank so It's close enough for me. Oh, and I also took advantage I had the tank down and sanded and gave the bottom underside of trunk a shot of rubberized undercoating... I posted a few photos of the week long project... 

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%2013_zpsm51ygd

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%202_zpsyvcek8u

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%203_zps3fseabv

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%205_zpsuwoe21t

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%206_zpsg47p15k

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%2012_zpsotr2ea

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%209_zps48c8irg

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%2015_zpsf2psst

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%201_zpsloj8ud3

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%207_zpsicmal3v

Is that rear out of the 72 Monte or is that a Chevelle or Nova rear?  Not cryin' foul by any means; I have a '68 Chevelle rear that looks just like it, with 3:36 gears out of a '66 Chevelle, in my '72 Monte, and I wouldn't trade 'em for nothin'.  But my original rear with the 2:73's in it doesn't look anything like that.  Not the cover anyway.

post-6969-0-44654400-1492735504_thumb.jpg

Guest PosiRon

I didn't do nothin' with the Monte today.  It was too nice out.  I weeded the vegetable garden fence and relocated the beaucoup volunteer bachelor buttons and larkspurs out of the garden to luxurious new accommodations.

But yesterday I finished making the new lip for the passenger rear wheel well for my '72 2-barrel 2-bolt Monte, been hammerin' and squeezin' it out of a piece of 20 ga steel all week, and now it's right, so I also cut a piece of metal to make the one for the driver side.

Frame's about done so now I'm workin' on the body. It was further over the edge than most people would try to bring back.  I'd say I'm halfway there.  Target date June 2018.

Stuff like this.

post-6969-0-24536900-1492737049_thumb.jpg

post-6969-0-69790200-1492737284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is that rear out of the 72 Monte or is that a Chevelle or Nova rear?  Not cryin' foul by any means; I have a '68 Chevelle rear that looks just like it, with 3:36 gears out of a '66 Chevelle, in my '72 Monte, and I wouldn't trade 'em for nothin'.  But my original rear with the 2:73's in it doesn't look anything like that.  Not the cover anyway.

Welcome!

Your rear end appears to be a 10 bolt. Mike's rear end is a 12 bolt which is why it looks different. The 350 2-barrel cars had 10 bolts. I believe all others had the 12 bolt rear.

This has been a fairly lengthy project for me and am pleased to say, I think I have completed it!  :yay:   The short version is replaced Rear Harness/reconditioned Tail Lamps and reconditioned under the Hood (cleaned/painted & ditto the Grill.  Without further elaboration, this is how She sits as of today.  Now I can start doing the detail cleaning/polishing of the exterior as the weather cooperates.

Doug.  

post-458-0-10281300-1492808066_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-68114000-1492808130_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-19681700-1492808190_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-95654300-1492808230_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This has been a fairly lengthy project for me and am pleased to say, I think I have completed it!  :yay:   The short version is replaced Rear Harness/reconditioned Tail Lamps and reconditioned under the Hood (cleaned/painted & ditto the Grill.  Without further elaboration, this is how She sits as of today.  Now I can start doing the detail cleaning/polishing of the exterior as the weather cooperates.

Doug.  

That looks really nice.  How bad did your engine compartment look when you started?  Mine looks pretty bad, well not bad for a nearly 50 year old car but way worse than I would like.  I have been wondering how guys go about reconditioning/restoring the parts under the hood.  Specifically, how do we get all the fittings on the AC box and lines looking good?  What about the brake booster and master cylinder, what are guys doing there to make them look new? 

Well, the first thing I think about is what my vision is.  That to me is selecting the paint(s) by Flat/Satin/Enamel texture/finish/authenticity.  Then deciding just what and how far you plan on going.  Unless your looking for a complete stock look, really the skies the limit.  When unsure, ask those questions from the Membership as you progress and you will get plenty of instruction/help. :)

Example:  when I replaced my Master Cylinder, I painted the body black & I was done.  Some replace with chrome, other variations or none at all.  Depends on what you think looks good so really, no one answer will satisfy your question(s).  I pressure washed the Firewall and kept the factory paint that was on it but in retrospect, wished I would have painted it now.  My A/C box is also original color.  I went with a satin finish under the Hood originally but now am slowly changing that look to gloss enamel.  It shows better and cleans up much easier.

Make a list of what you want to do, then prioritize.  That's the easiest part........................ :B 

Doug 

New door panel installed this morning. It is amazing how much work it is to get these assembled and installed properly.

Door Panel.jpg

• Like 2

Went up the Carlisle this morning to see what we could find. First thing that caught my eye was a 71 Monte the was going to be for sale.post-26-0-45026200-1492886772_thumb.jpg Green and tan interior probably was a 350 car but no options. There was a silver 72 for sale didn't walk by to see the price but was probably $14k and then there was a lime green 71 small block Monte for $16,500. Saw a pair of original Monte quarter panels for $1,500. For me I brought some wheel well trim for the 72 post-26-0-50497500-1492886783_thumb.jpg looks good with that big old tire post-26-0-04073800-1492886797_thumb.jpggot to do some work to get to fit post-26-0-69239400-1492886807_thumb.jpg little body work in this area post-26-0-60511800-1492886818_thumb.jpg

New front seat upholstery, carpet, door panels and window felts. Left the original upholstery on the rear seat since it's not that bad and I still have young kids.

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

• Like 1

The Legendary seat covers are quite nice. New foam too. The carpet is from ACC and fits nicely. Door panels are PUI and are not quite factory correct but look nice. The extra chrome trim on the panels has grown on me.