What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Yeah, it's like every week I make changes. I was all set up sensor wise to get a LS1 harness, PCM and pay to have HPTuners, which I consider expensive. Now FiTech offers LS1 systems that'll save me a bunch and give me the ease of a dashboard mounted color touch pad. Their LS1 stand alone system saves me a small bundle over the GM PCM, harness and software.

post-201-0-42676100-1503277333_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got up this morning with the intent to wash/wax the Monte for a Car Show Saturday.  Pulled her out of the garage & while sitting there idling, the car died.  A new experience for me.  After a few attempts I realized something was wrong.  As long as I kept throttle above 1500 when not under load, I could keep her running.  But once I put her in gear, I had to keep the RPM up above 1500 to keep her from stalling out.  So I drove over to my brothers feathering gas pedal all the way to prevent stalling.  I ended up pulling the top off of Carb to see if there was anything I could recognize as being a problem.  What I found was a float that had an amount of fuel in it.  So bought another float, put Carb back together and runs GREAT again.  I will try the wash/wax thing again tomorrow & trust no more issues.  Wish me Luck......................................  

Doug

Went to a local show today, beautiful day and great turnout over 500 cars there. Was nearly a dozen first gens there I knew most of the owners and a few members there too, I talked to the ones I could find. Was a good time for sure.

Steve, where was this show located? I totally missed this one. I was at Race Wars with the purple Hemi at ESTA Speedway. Went 14.3 @ 99.7mph.

I recently visited OPGI while on a family road trip to Southern California and picked up a new rear bumper and a few other goodies. I have to say I'm quite happy with the quality of this reproduction bumper. It is not perfect but for the cost it is nice. It fit a lot better than I expected. The chrome is not as nice as a professional re-chroming but decent. Someday I may get the courage to drill the necessary holes for bumper guards but I'll leave it for now.

21268212_10154670930117680_973681465_o.jpg

21268502_10154670929987680_1321068425_n.jpg

21557859_10154712269457680_7041774737175430618_n.jpg

21557887_10154712269447680_7250298650719870628_n.jpg

21616493_10154713556182680_3236927920104533674_n.jpg

21742890_10154712269462680_2357224075400848212_n.jpg

I recently visited OPGI while on a family road trip to Southern California and picked up a new rear bumper and a few other goodies. I have to say I'm quite happy with the quality of this reproduction bumper. It is not perfect but for the cost it is nice. It fit a lot better than I expected. The chrome is not as nice as a professional re-chroming but decent. Someday I may get the courage to drill the necessary holes for bumper guards but I'll leave it for now.

You probably got the new bumper faster by driving to CA and picking it up than having OPGI ship it to you in Canada.  At least you knew it was in stock when you purchased it ...

• Like 1

You probably got the new bumper faster by driving to CA and picking it up than having OPGI ship it to you in Canada. At least you knew it was in stock when you purchased it ...

I ordered them ahead of time to make sure they had them when I arrived. My daughters had a bumper between their seats the whole ride home.

I’ve been searching for a loong time for a set of custom seat belts in blue. I had a set in green with all really nice hardware. There’s been a set on Ebay forever but they look like a very light shade of blue-and they're pricey.

I was considering having my green set re-webbed, but it’s pretty expensive.

I also considered buying dark blue webbing and sewing it myself but the two retractable belts would be really difficult to do.

A set popped up on Ebay, $200 with shipping. They actually came from a '70 Monte. All the white tags were intact. Some of the buckles looked tarnished, no prob, I have buckles. I bought.    

The set had to come from a flood car, the mechanisms in the buckles were rusted solid. The webbing was pretty dirty. One retractable was rusted but they both worked.

I removed the buckles and soaked the webbing in Shout laundry pre-treat then scrubbed them all with Dawn dish soap. They came out really nice.

I re-assembled everything (no easy feat!) with the better buckles and mechanisms from the green set, hit all the internals with some WD40 and I finally have a really nice set for my car. This worked out well!

post-201-0-19641100-1506451510_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Paul wrote:

I re-assembled everything (no easy feat!) with the better buckles and mechanisms from the green set, hit all the internals with some WD40 and I finally have a really nice set for my car. This worked out well!

Congratulations on a successful project, Paul!  Great feeling when a long-term project finally comes to fruition. 

Since you apparently moved serviceable brushed buckles from green webbing to the refurbished blue webbing, I assume you had to cut the original stitching on both sets and then re-stitch the good buckles onto the blue webbing.  If so, did you re-stitch manually or with a sewing machine?  Also, where did you find matching thread?

After prying off the cover and getting the latch/button out of the way, the slip bar can be removed and it can be pried out of it's bracket. Then the belt passes through the buckle body. Re-assembly is the reverse. I didn't need to do any sewing.

Here's one of the rusty yucky ones (and my retirement forms under it :k ).

post-201-0-72673700-1506463183_thumb.jpg

Ah,...Glen,...I see you had the same problem I had.  I posted a post and a couple days later I wanted to delete it and couldn't.  So I posted a " . ".   Wow, what are the chances ;).  DJB!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Was away from the garage for over a month, last week had to help my girlfriend move to CA in our slightly used Chevy 1500 pickup. Today I found my way to the garage to do some work. I throw a battery in the 72 to check the wiring to make sure the EFI was ready to go and ran across an issue with the ign switch which I changed out. 22196142_1658401547528145_57691522481230 Next week looks like the fire up date for the 72 might have a exhaust leak but we will see. The radio from Ausley's chevelle chevelle.com sounds good with just one speaker in place and its no where close to the speaker grill. https://www.facebook.com/rob.king.771/videos/1658334777534822/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...