What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Guest PosiRon

Welcome!

Your rear end appears to be a 10 bolt. Mike's rear end is a 12 bolt which is why it looks different. The 350 2-barrel cars had 10 bolts. I believe all others had the 12 bolt rear.

Oh yeah - Duh.  I never counted the bolts.   I keep trying to post stuff on these forums but the site is very user-unfriendly, highly limited, generally doesn't allow much.  I keep getting every manner of message indicating refusal to post my replies, limits on the size of pictures, "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." et al.  Very cumbersome and primitive compared to some other sites I go on - ForABodiesOnly, for instance, is delightful to use.

Guest PosiRon

Oh yeah - Duh.  I never counted the bolts.   I keep trying to post stuff on these forums but the site is very user-unfriendly, highly limited, generally doesn't allow much.  I keep getting every manner of message indicating refusal to post my replies, limits on the size of pictures, "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." et al.  Very cumbersome and primitive compared to some other sites I go on - ForABodiesOnly, for instance, is delightful to use.

Jeeez I mean, seriously:  I went to reply to the guy who said he saw two quarter panels at Carlisle for $1,500, and I wanted to show him how I made patches for mine, so I went to attach one eeensie-weensie teeny-tiny picture that I shrunk down to the smallest possible size it could possibly be shrunken down to, and still I get this ridiculous message message :"Error This file was too big to upload

Attach Files    You can upload up to 107.3KB of files (Max. single file size: 107.3KB)

Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)"

107 freegin' kilobytes????   There are no photos in the world that are that small.  I can't do anything with your site with these kind of chintzy limits.  It wouldn't even allow me to add an avatar to my profile.  I'll go find another site.  This one is impossible.

Jeeez I mean, seriously:  I went to reply to the guy who said he saw two quarter panels at Carlisle for $1,500, and I wanted to show him how I made patches for mine, so I went to attach one eeensie-weensie teeny-tiny picture that I shrunk down to the smallest possible size it could possibly be shrunken down to, and still I get this ridiculous message message :"Error This file was too big to upload

Attach Files     You can upload up to 107.3KB of files (Max. single file size: 107.3KB)

107 freegin' kilobytes????   There are no photos in the world that are that small.  I can't do anything with your site with these kind of chintzy limits.  It wouldn't even allow me to add an avatar to my profile.  I'll go find another site.  This one is impossible.

Ronald when making a post or replying to a post look at the lower right of the reply box click on the "more reply options" this will open the reply in another window and you can attach info off of your computer by clicking on the "choose files".

Attach Files     You can upload up to 107.3KB of files (Max. single file size: 107.3KB)

Ron, I am working on this upload limitation issue. It is typically 500kb for a new board member. I'm not sure why your account has this 107 KB limitation. I'll get back to you on this.

• Like 1

New front seat upholstery, carpet, door panels and window felts. Left the original upholstery on the rear seat since it's not that bad and I still have young kids.

Looks real nice Aaron, good job!

Jim

Well, got mine out finally. winter was rough on our roads, salt piles everywhere. I did use moth balls  and dryer sheets this year. happy to report no small animals in the vicinity this year.Now to get the smell out. Charcoal briquettes. 260 did not do anything!

Just got the front suspension refreshed...new bushings, new ball joints, new springs, one new control arm and alignment.  Still would like to do something inexpensive (air shocks) to raise the rear end a little.  I prefer a slight rake to the stance on these long beauties but I don't want to do anything expensive or to permanent as I will be redoing the whole rear end when I do the actual restore. 

I hope the car is now safe enough to drive around for the summer. :)

• Like 1

I just took off the air shocks on my 72 because they made the ride to stiff. Went with the Air lift 1000 air bag with regular shocks. Ride is much better and can adjust the rake to some extent.

• Like 1

I wonder, could the air bags be used in place of the air shocks with the original automatic load leveling system that was factory installed on some of our cars?

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Dan

• Like 1

I wonder, could the air bags be used in place of the air shocks with the original automatic load leveling system the was factory installed on some of our cars?

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Dan

It might be worth a try, Dan.  The air valve works off the position of the right side lower control arm relative to the frame so it should shut off the air to the bags when that position is reached.  The bags are both higher volume and lower pressure than the air shocks.  Since the compressor tank holds 100 psi, if the valve failed to shut the air off, it would undoubtedly blow out the bag (max working pressure is 30-35 psi). I doubt anyone has both air shocks and air bags on their Monte to give it a try.

Rick, I think a lot of it is trial and error. I'm not sure how Tony did it but if it is just a swap of hinges, I would try marking yhe hood and fender around the old hinge for a good starting place.

I remember helping Scott install his hood and I guess we got very lucky because I don't remember it fighting us much. His Brother in law was also there to help which may have contributed to making it easier.

rob

Well the Snowball is finally melting smaller now.... Whew... spark plug wires installed, Heat stove installed, rad back in, ground straps hooked up and blower motor and housing reinstalled all today.

She is looking more and more like a 71 again.... And to think I was only contemplating a frame off, next thing you know a massive snowball and a thousand pieces everywhere.... well in baggies maybe and a third shed in the back yard. Hahaha

Darren

• Like 1

Well the Snowball is finally melting smaller now.... Whew... spark plug wires installed, Heat stove installed, rad back in, ground straps hooked up and blower motor and housing reinstalled all today.

She is looking more and more like a 71 again.... And to think I was only contemplating a frame off, next thing you know a massive snowball and a thousand pieces everywhere.... well in baggies maybe and a third shed in the back yard. Hahaha

Darren

I would love to see a picture of this "Heat Stove" installed.  I have seen other references (with a pictures) of the unit but I am not sure what it is and where it goes on the car.  Should my 70 big block (SS) have one?  If so, where would it be and what does it look like installed? 

Steve

Hi Steve, here is a NOS one pictured and then mine installed as you asked...

Your 70ss would have come with one from the Factory but alas as most smog

equipment or these Heat Stoves, they got removed and tossed away.

IMG_2024_zps575r1pmf.jpg

IMG_2022_zpsg4hdbajk.jpg

Darren