What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Had some awesome 70 degree weather today, so I woke up the Monte from winter storage. Did a valve lash adjustment and an oil change then went for a drive. Shes hittin' on all 8 and ready to rip! Hurry up and get all this salt crap off the roads, I have no traction!   :shifter:

• Like 1

Going through all the stuff that's been stored for decades, I came across about two yards of headliner material. Score!

Because I couldn't find the nice sail panels the car once wore, I used the material to cover one of the really bad two sets I did find. They came out nice!

I go to stick them into the car and the headliner is noticeably lighter.

Researched it, turns out the darker is correct. I'm NOT gonna replace the headliner, I'll get some lighter blue material and re-do the sails to match. I don't mind a lighter headliner, this won't be a points car.

I've always had the best luck with C.A.R.S. All those years ago, they did several interiors for us perfectly. They're gonna send me some samples to match the shade.

(The seat cloth looks lighter in this pic than they really are, flash was used)

Sail_zpsfh5pjuss.jpg

I also can't find my door panels. :cry2:

I see they can be bought new with the rear seat panel. Although I have the rear seat panels, they're not mint and they'll stick out like a sore thumb when looking at them next to new door panels so I'll get the set.

Well, been spending almost every day this year puttering with the Monte.  Everything is put back together, the weather was Gorgeous today and decided to give her a bath.  On the way over to the garage I was waiting at a cross street traveling from East to West for the light to change and spotted a 1st Gen traveling South to North.  I was several cars back & didn't get a well enough look to make out the year.  I can't remember seeing that one around here before.  Had a Black Vinyl Top and paint looked like a silver with greenish hue in it?  I am sure it is a factory color as I have seen that color several times.  Got the car from garage, went to the self service car wash & gave her a cleaning.  Stopped on the way home to visit my Brother & then gassed her up on the way back to the garage.  It is amazing what a RARE Winter nice day can do to people.  While waiting, several people walked over and commented on her with questions like "is that a 67 or 69" was the most humorous question this time and the majority just commenting on how Gorgeous she is.  One asked if she could take a picture and of course, I agreed.  I told em about our Club and the Meets we attend where looking at mine and comparing to many others in the Club, mine is considered a daily driver.  But I guess I inspired them today or maybe it was just the weather.  I was a little overwhelmed by the interest being shown and the funny thing was, my Dash Cap is off and not one made mention of it.  So ended up back at the garage with my head held high while savoring the notoriety received.  All in all, a pretty eventful day.  Need at least one like this to remind yourself that it is/was worth the money, time & effort after all!  ;)

Here is the color I saw today &  Her she is after her bath..........................

Doug......................

post-458-0-41486500-1488066032_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-92640400-1488066155_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well got the rear end back in the car along with the brake lines hooked up, springs & shocks installed and then went to install the drive shaft but found out I need different u joint straps, different than what came off so I picked up a set at a local auto parts and will get back it tomorrow.

Leo

Ecklers told me they could find out what shade their supplier uses on the seat panels. I believe they have the shade correct. My two attempts with Sem paints failed. I'll call them tomorrow. I have a brand new console that needs to be match the seats. Good thing I have an old busted up console to test with!

blues_zpsbbssnikd.jpg

Paul are you trying to match the seat back? If so a good paint supply shop should be able match the seat back or at least get it close.

Yes I am. BUT I want my own aerosol spray can.

I found a shop that does color matching and they have the spray can machine!

I gave them a seat panel and here's the color. The seat panel's texture makes it look lighter than it is butt he new paint is still a little too dark. I'll get another can but this time I'll also give them the black console to test on. I'll get it right.

paintss_zps2rcb4xww.jpg

Last thing done on my was foam for the sail panels got but not glue down. Just submitted an order with S&W race cars for some dress up parts lol. Got some wheelie bars order and a wing to go on the trunk lid just for looks. 

• Like 1

Today I removed my tires.  I took them to my local tire guy to have all of the tires removed from the Rally rims.  Then I made the one hour drive north to drop the rims off at a shop to have them powder coated in Ardent Silver.  Our president, Scott Stephens, recommended this place and the $200 they quoted me to do all 5 rims is a real bargain.  It would have easily cost me that to have them sand blasted and painted.  Most of the places I checked wanted at least $500 to have them powder coated.  

I then ordered my new tires.  The powder coating should be done by Thursday or Friday and the tires should be in by then too so hopefully this weekend she will have new shoes....... and socks.  As some of you know, I am going from the raised white letters to the 3/4 inch white walls.

The shop who broke down the tires first looked at the 50% to 75% tread still left on the tires and asked why I was getting rid of them.  I told him to look a little closer at the tires.   When he did he fully understood.  These tires are 16 years old and the rubber had become very stiff.  I think if I would have tried to get another year out of them I would have been in danger of one of them blowing out, shredding and causing major damage or an accident.  

rob

Well, after running out of gas the other day I decided that was it. I need to get into the fuel tank / gauge repair mode because I am not siting next to the road again waiting for my wife to bring me some gas... 

Happy to say that after some digging online here to help diagnose the problem the gauge functions well when grounding the sending the wire ect.

So.... I set off to drop the tanks, I had ordered a new sender a while back when I first bought the car so tool advantage, sanded and scrubbed exterior of tank (interior was clean as can be) painted it black with some automotive anti rust stuff, put in the new sender and ...sweet if the gauge worked. I added 5 gallons of fuel that I had pumped out and it read a bit over and 1/8 of the tank. So, I headed to my local Shell pumped in an additional 10 gallons of premium and it went just past 3/4 almost to full with about 15 gallons in the tank so It's close enough for me. Oh, and I also took advantage I had the tank down and sanded and gave the bottom underside of trunk a shot of rubberized undercoating... I posted a few photos of the week long project... 

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%2013_zpsm51ygd

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%202_zpsyvcek8u

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%203_zps3fseabv

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%205_zpsuwoe21t

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%206_zpsg47p15k

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%2012_zpsotr2ea

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%209_zps48c8irg

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%2015_zpsf2psst

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%201_zpsloj8ud3

Fuel%20tank_gauge%20resto%207_zpsicmal3v

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous Saturday!   :)   Been working on reconditioning my Grill, Upper Core Support that evolved into removing Fan Shroud for repaint.  Figured I had her this part apart, I may as well do what I have been threatening to do for several years.  Fan Shroud is clean & ready for some paint & will happen tomorrow.  After my less than successful job reconditioning the Grill, that has been corrected mostly and ready to put back in once I have finished cleaning/prepping exposed areas of Engine Bay/Grill areas.  I have more prepping to do before applying paint but here is where I am today.  More cleaning and refreshing with paint as the weather permits.  Received a Summons for Special Grand Jury Duty in May (and lasts a month  :B, so better get cracking on these projects so am done before the WM!  Front end should show better along with Front Turn & Rear Tail Light(s) as  both areas have been reconditioned with replacement Tail Light Harness.  Had some damage to one socket & decided to replace the whole harness along with cleaning up Tail Light/License Light & Back Up light housings.

Anyway, just a couple pic's where I am today.  Will provide more as I complete chores.   :coffee2: 

Doug 

post-458-0-70355800-1492297372_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-58110100-1492297431_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-96975900-1492297464_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanx Rob.  I can only promise that it won't look worse when I am done. :fart:

Doug

Doug, that is all any of us hope for when we start a project