What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Went ot a participant voting car show today and came home with nutin as usual. My son in-law Jamey took his 91 Z-28 Camero and got a top twenty which really surprised him. The 72 very does very well at participant voting shows for some reason. Jamey could not believe I gotsed nutin. A lot of good comments on the car and ran across two other First Gen owners that did not have their cars in attendance. Jim Gish used to be a member of FGMCC but never attended any events so dropped out. I have had no luck in getting him to rejoin. His car is the same color as Murphy's car and was repainted about 15  years ago. It looks pretty nice as I first met Jim about 3 years ago at a car show not to far from where we were today.. The other old guy has a black 70 with a white vinyl top and it is a three on the tree car with bucket seats not console. Both of these cars were purchased new by these guys. The black car is all original down to the paint with primer showing on the fender edges from waxing it and rubbing on it all these years.

• Like 1

Well not being a terribly exciting event...I did however made it to my local T.S.C. to pick up a bottle of welding gas...this is a minor celebration for my new job after being laid off since November !...the government paid for my tractor trailer license and heavy equipment certificate...start training on Monday hauling moo juice !..hoping for some freebies as my kids devour 20 litres oer week of the stuff..@4.50 per 4 litres gets expensive...now I can afford to start back on the car yeah!!!!

Changing oil and sway bar links on the 71. The oil filter was a challenge to get off and dropping the filter wrench in the oil drain pan did not make it any easier, LOL

Aaron do you use a short filter or the longer version. I have ot use the longer version because of my headers. Cannot get the wrench on the short one and even the long one can be a challenge.

Aaron,

Did you remember to smear a bit of new oil on the rubber seal of the new filter?

I have seen twice, old rubber seal (perhaps it wasn't oiled) sticks to the block, user doesn't notice, replaces filter, now has TWO rubber gaskets, drives it, oil all leaks out!!!!!!!

Not fun.......

Bruce

Aaron,

Did you remember to smear a bit of new oil on the rubber seal of the new filter?

I have seen twice, old rubber seal (perhaps it wasn't oiled) sticks to the block, user doesn't notice, replaces filter, now has TWO rubber gaskets, drives it, oil all leaks out!!!!!!!

Not fun.......

Bruce

I always put a bit of oil on the gasket. As for the old gasket staying on the engine, I always check for that too. It eventually came loose but was stubborn today.

Replaced my ignition box switch (anti theft switch) and took my Monte on it's first cruise this year...better late then never... B)

• Like 3

My 71 was having an intermittent charging problem, again. (All stock 350 4BBL, automatic, No A/C with full factory gauges) Tried several times thinking a poor connection at the voltage regulator but decided to take it to Marv's electric. Marv worked on it, quickly seeing the alt was OK and also thinking it was a poor connection issue. After some time is was working, I paid him $20.00 cash, drove home watching the gauge charging away. Got home, cleaned it up, restarted and NO CHARGE again. Drove back, Marv again worked on it, finding no power to the brown terminal at the voltage regulator. He believes it is an issue in the dash or gauge area. Marv found a hot brown wire, when the ignition is on, from my old removed TCS harness, teed into it and I now have a charging system again. I have had this issue in the past but never had to go this far. Marv didn't charge me any more!

Perhaps my original printed circuit is going bad? Some day I guess I will look into this because I don't like things that are wrong.

Fun with old cars, time to get out the wiring diagram...................first a nice long drive..........

Bruce

• Like 1

Drove around 80 miles today to Port Huron and back, still charging.

Found a car show in a mall parking lot but I didn't have my camera so I couldn't go in. Too bad because I saw a blue metallic modified 71 Monte Carlo, no V top done very nicely.

Bruce

• Like 2

Still playing with colors this is Summit Racing 2.8 VOC single stage black cherry pearl that has some dry copper penny pearl mixed in the paint. 13466230_1202913373076967_86509134266589 shade gives it the black/purple look on both a black primer area and a gray primer area. Then in the sun it pops to life 13494980_1202913396410298_80761188595133 maybe tomorrow it can get some more sun on it to get a better ideal. It does have flake in it.

• Like 3

Drove around 80 miles today to Port Huron and back, still charging.

Found a car show in a mall parking lot but I didn't have my camera so I couldn't go in. Too bad because I saw a blue metallic modified 71 Monte Carlo, no V top done very nicely.

Bruce

Too Funny Bruce, regarding not having the camera crack.  Loved it.

rob

Did some color on the tail light extension. post-26-0-63754700-1466970996_thumb.jpeg it looks almost like a candy ready and it's no ware close to the red paint that we used on a truck door a few again and it's no ware close to the test panelpost-26-0-69431300-1466971009_thumb.jpeg With a little trim on starting to look like a nice color mix 13557797_1203625133005791_53497603894921

• Like 1

Finally got all 4 coil overs on all 4 corners. I also put on UMI boxed lower control arms since I was so far into it. I am loving the ride quality and the stance. Well worth the pain of assembly and cost. All squeeks and groans are gone.

image_zpshkquezta.jpeg

image_zpsaia07udb.jpeg

• Like 3

Glen don't forget to have it aligned before driving it to far.

Yeah. They have recommended adjustment for camber and toe for the front. I still need to get the front sway bar fixed before I get that done. I want to find a company that deals with this stuff consistently and have someone who knows how to do it correctly. Most of the places don't have people that are qualified to do these adjustments anymore.

That would be a great topic here, "Alignment Specs, then and now"

There was a story in a car mag years ago saying to increase caster (I believe) for cars with P/S.

I will look for the article. (Found it)

I will start a new post.........

Bruce

• Like 1

That would be a great topic here, "Alignment Specs, then and now"

There was a story in a car mag years ago saying to increase caster (I believe) for cars with P/S.

I will look for the article. (Found it)

I will start a new post.........

Bruce

I will have to read it.