Clock-to-tach conversion complete

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CB- apologies for hijacking your post! smile

Hey JRB - where did you get the oil pressure gauge???? I know the factory gauge cluster never had that..... What did you do for the wiring harness?

Quote:
Originally posted by MC72:

jrb70454, What car did you get your oil, water, and volts gages out of? Did they fit in without much modification? Thanks.

The oil pressure gauge, voltmeter and fuel gauge are out of a mid-70s chevy truck. The oil pressure gauge is mechanical, so there was no wiring involved. I ran a wire from a 12V switched source for the voltmeter, and just got creative in tapping into the wiring for the fuel gauge. The temp gauge, speedo and tach are factory Monte. The truck gauges are probably relatively easy to find- mine came from my old suburban before it went to the boneyard.

Did they fit without much modification? Hmmm... well, I'm a self-proclaimed hack. I can make solid-functioning prototypes (I'm not afraid to break things!), but it may not be pretty. It would probably be much cleaner if I did it again (or not). Thankfully my "work" is well hidden behind that pretty Monte dash!

• 3 weeks later...

Very tempting but since my car is dismantled, It wouldn't be hard to change to gauges cluster would it? What all would I have to change?

The Cluster, Overlay and engine harness?

I bought the kit from sonnie on ebay without any hassle.... smile

I have also seen a company advertise the kit for $365 & shipping in Chevy High Performace. They do not have a website...

The kit comes with the differnt printed circuit board and correct length wires in correct color and connections.

You could do it yourself, will have to the wiring as in the dash connector and at the fuse box as well as change the printed circuit board.

I just bought it.

It doesn't sound like it will be hard to do.

It comes with a new printed circuit as well as a temperature sending unit wire.

I don't want to sound like a beggar but if any one is removing their old clock and is planning on trashing it I would like to get one. I have a friend (watch maker) who is developing a method to repair them but the only one we have is the one in my car and I don't want to risk screwing it up if the idea doesn't work. Let me know and thank you. smile

I don't want to sound like a beggar but if any one is removing their old clock and is planning on trashing it I would like to get one. I have a friend (watch maker) who is developing a method to repair them but the only one we have is the one in my car and I don't want to risk screwing it up if the idea doesn't work. Let me know and thank you. smile

I just bought a new clock for mine and will be removing the old one after it gets here. The new one is quarts inside but looks just like the original! So I doubt there is a worthwhile your friend doing them . frown But if you still want one to tear apart, you can have the old one outta my car when I am done (It doesnt work ) just pay for the shipping.

terry

Bones,

Sounds great let me know.

Buster,

Thanks for the offer. I'll be happy to pay the shipping. I've heard about those conversions. I was thinking of going that way until Don offered to modify the one I have. The only trouble is he said he doesn't know if it will work or for how long. When you're ready let me know. Who knows... if this works maybe we could repair a whole bunch of them.

Sometimes it's a burden to want it "Just like it came from the factory".

nutz