Clock-to-tach conversion complete

I purchased the Shiftworks in-dash tach to replace the non-operational clock after reading about it here. They shipped it quickly from New York and I tackled the project yesterday.

Tearing into the dash was as big of a project as I imagined it would be. I'd say it took almost 3 hours to get the gauge cluster out, but I was going slowly and carefully to avoid disaster. Once out, it took only 15 minutes to swap out the clock with the tach. The directions from Shiftworks are clear and easy to follow.

I then spent about an hour cleaning the gauge cluster and polishing the clear lens with fine scratch remover. Turned out pretty nice. I replaced all 17 bulbs in the cluster with new ones; you'd think the dash would light up like a Christmas tree but it's still just ok.

I got the cluster installed and the dash back together in a couple of hours, still not rushing it. I wired up the tach according to the diagram which thankfully includes a clear warning about not hooking up the signal wire to the coil when running an MSD ignition. A quick check of the MSD web site wiring diagram shows exactly where to attach the signal wire from the tach (love the internet!). After double-checking all my connections, I fired up the engine and the tach worked beautifully!

The trouble came when I tested the headlight switch and found that I had no dash lights and that the hazard lights stayed on but did not flash. It took only about 5 minutes to realize that I did not have the thin metal bracket where the light switch ground wire is attached grounded to the car. It took another hour of playing with that @#$%&* bracket to realize I had no idea how it had been attached and grounded before! I then drilled out the rivet connecting the ground wire to the bracket and attached it to another spare ground wire hanging loose from the wiring harness. With that problem solved, I installed the dash pad and cleaned up. Total time for installation - about 9 hours.

In hindsight, I don't think I would drop the steering column again if I did it over. Without the column attached, the dash drops much further than you need to remove the cluster and is much harder to support by yourself during re-assembly. And climbing over and around the steering wheel wastes time. I think the dash would have rested on the column and still left enough room to get to the gauge cluster.

All in all, a very worthwhile project that demanded more patience than expected.

~CB

IMG_0022.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick,

If you're referring to the tach signal source, there is a tach output terminal on the side of the MSD box. It is a male spade lug located in the center of the black plastic grommet.

~CB

Hi CB,

Thanks for sharing your info. The Tach looks great and I am definitely considering doing one of mine.

If you want to address the dim lighting problem, here is what you will need to consider:

1) Replace the standard 3amp bulbs with 5amp bulbs (cost about $20)

2) Convert the standard externally regulated charging system with a newer high output internally regulated one. (cost about $120)

I have done both of these and the results were tremendous. I also have instructions and documentation on both if you (or anyone) is interested.

Mike

Wow, that looks phenomenal!!! You really did a nice job!

Would you mind putting down some directions on removing the dash to get the gauge cluster out? I've been debating that to clean my lens and gauges but haven't because it sounded like such a huge job, but 9 hours isn't so bad!

Looks great!

C.B. that looks like a very neat installition. A job well done. Thanks for the valuable information. I also plan on installing the swap.

Mike, do you by chance have the part # of those 5W. bulbs? Thanks again guys.

The brighter dash bulbs that go into the printed circuit are: Sylvania 2825

If I remember correctly, the guage cluster has about 18 bulbs in total. You only need to replace the 11 "background" bulbs. I did not replace:

2 - Turn signals (r and l)

1 - High Beam

1 - Brake Light

1 - Oil

1 - Gen

1 - Alt

Also, the Heater/AC panel uses a different type of bulb. It is Sylvania 3893.

Good luck!!

Mike

Looks extremely nice... cool

Blends right in looking factory.

The only thing someone might ask is "what is that little hole in the lens for?" lol

Here is a link to the Shiftworks web site and the kit I bought:

http://www.shiftworks.com/tachs-ss.htm#1970

Cheaper than Original Parts Group and Shiftworks shipped it from New York to San Diego faster than OPG ships just 100 miles south.

Mike, thanks for the info on increasing the brightness of the dash lights. Since I already put the whole thing back together, I think I missed the boat on that opportunity. Anybody else should definitely take your suggestion while everything is apart to make those simple changes.

I'll try to write up a brief list of steps for getting the gauge cluster out by the weekend.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

~CB

• 2 weeks later...

I have already purchased a MSD ignition, Distributor and Coil. I haven't installed them and won't until I install a crate engine. Does anyone know if thee is any problem with the operation of the this Tach with the MSD ignition?

CB - you almost have me convinced to do mine!

Hey JRB - where did you get the oil pressure gauge???? I know the factory gauge cluster never had that.....

What did you do for the wiring harness?

Looks Great! Not to bad on the install.....I have HEI so I can tap right off the top of the distributer,where I already have a tach wire for the tach on the column...which I hate!

Thanx again!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your info. The Tach looks great and I am definitely considering doing one of mine.

If you want to address the dim lighting problem, here is what you will need to consider:

1) Replace the standard 3amp bulbs with 5amp bulbs (cost about $20)
2) Convert the standard externally regulated charging system with a newer high output internally regulated one. (cost about $120)

I have done both of these and the results were tremendous. I also have instructions and documentation on both if you (or anyone) is interested.
Hey Mike,
Could you send me any info you have about the changes, I would like to get my dash lights brighter and that might be what I need. Swagnerone@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Steve