Bucket Seats Question

Katman

Were any Monte's with bucket seats done in cloth or were they all completely vinyl?  I found a place that has stock cloth for the buckets (PUI does not).  My current setup is bench with cloth.  I'd like to stay with cloth and am considering a switch to buckets when I redo the interior.  I have an SS but that should not matter as far as the type of material used, I don't think.  I may go with vinyl if buckets were never done in cloth - my car is not entirely original but want to stay true to what was offered back in the day.

My 70 Misty Turquoise has bucket seats with orig blk nylon inserts and the sides are vinyl . I'm changing mine to all vinyl and the Ralley sport covers. I'm keeping the orig seats front and back ,I have an extra set of buckets and back seats that I'm using for the new covers.

The difference is in the pattern sewn into the seat covers. This is a 1970...........

397097717.jpg

The seat cover pics that are shown above by Aaron are correct for a '71 or '72.

I'd like to point out for those that are interested in originality, the chrome edging that's on the backrest bolster is the only edging that the factory used on the Monte Carlo seats. They didn't put the one on the lower bolsters as shown here. I bought these reproduction bolsters and the edging was already on them, so I left them on. Some of the other GM makes and models that use these same seats had the lower edging from the factory, and the companies that reproduce them this way do so for those cars. 

Dan

So I guess I could use seat from a 70 model as long as I recover them with cloth for a 71 Monte.  Is that correct?  By the way, thanks for all the info.

The seats are the same from '69 thru '72. They can be from any GM A Body. That includes Cutlasses, Chevelles, Skylarks, etc. The covers are the difference.

Dan

Those in that ad, are worth $550-600 since they have good looking covers, otherwise if you are going to cover them anyway, $350-400 should get you a good set with good springs. The foam is is so old anyway it needs to be replaced, just bank on that, also its a plus if the headrest are nice and not busted up, as well as the backs and sides, all that adds up if its no good.

Headrest are $100, a set up backs are $100, a set of 4 sides can be $100.

Some people are dreamland on these seats, check them out real good.

Pontiac Grand Prix also had the same Bucket Seats.

I plan to recover them so don't care what the material looks like.  Thanks for the tip on the headrest.  I noticed the trim on those seats in Chicago need to be fixed up.  Going to have to look good when it's done if it is going into my Monte.  Let me know if you run across a set.  I need everything since this is a conversion from bench seat.  I do plan to put a console in and swap out the steering column.

Mark,

I have not yet done this conversion on my 71 but found (how to) instructions, in WORD format, years ago I will send you

How to Install Buckets and Console
by George Nenadovich
Car Courtesy of Dennis Wheeler

Bruce

I think you will have to change your carpet to as I noticed with mine the bench seat carpet don't overlap under the seat so you would have a gap with no carpet where your console would be.

Leo

• 2 months later...

Bought the cloth for the bucket seats today at Carlisle (got a 10% discount!).  Cars Inc told me that stitching (called a tuck) was available in 71 as well and pointed it out to me from their catalog.  I ordered mine "without tuck".

I would love to see a picture some time.

I bought my material from CARS 24+ years ago and had a trim shop do the sewing for my bench cloth black seats.

Buckets in the basement in green cloth for "someday"

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

I just received the foam for the back seats and the foam for the bucket seats.  Waiting on the cloth which they told me yesterday they are getting ready to make.  I should have them in a couple of weeks.  I still need to locate the brackets to mount the bucket seats.