After market bumpers

Hey y'all I am bringing a 1970 base car back from the dead.I bought it with a majority of the parts in boxes.But as I am about to replace both bumpers I have looked and called and have been assured that they all come from the same place over seas but then I see that AMD is supposedly better????Anybody got any experience in these.

I don't have any experience with any supplier except AMD but their front bumper compared favorably with the stock bumper I replaced.  It fit perfectly (see photo below) and seemed to be either the same gauge or very close to the same gauge of steel as the stock bumper.  I had to drill two holes in it to mount the front bumper guards and there's nothing soft about the steel they use!  I believe their bumpers are all plated in the US which is important for both appearance and longevity.

post-567-0-46208900-1488219422_thumb.jpg

I see you can get US-plated (but not completely US made) bumpers from Tamraz (click here) but they cost more than a standard AMD bumper from JEGS.  I've not seen any evidence to support the claim that all restoration bumpers for our Montes are made in one place. Seems unlikely that one factory would make the same bumper in all the different gauges of steel represented in the market today.  More and more I try to buy US made parts but I sometimes get fooled or there are no US made options available.

I have had my aftermarket bumper on the front of my Monte for at least 10 to 12 years and it looks as good today as it did the day I mounted it.  I also had to drill holes to mount the bumper guards.   That is one of those measure 20 times. place a mark with a sharpie, measure another 20 times to verify your sharpie marks, get the drill ad drill bits out and then measure another 20 times before you drill.  

I  can tell you, on my front bumper I did not remove or even loosen the bumper brackets where they mount to the frame, I only removed the nuts and bolts that mount the bumper to  the brackets go remove the old bumper.  When I lifted the new bumper into position the bolts slipped right into the holes without any adjustment of the brackets.

rob

I got mine from Jim at Muscle Cars Only but I fear Jim has recently sold his business because I have been trying to reach him recently and the number goes to a local car dealership, same with his Web site.

rob

Contact Konink's klassik's (Leo) he has a good line on some excellent bumpers. I bought mine from him and very happy with them. Located in eastern Michigan.He is on our parts resources page.You'll be glad you did.

Thanks I will look it up.I found a couple of factory ones that were rusty and bent for 200 and 250 for use as cores only.I already have that kind lol

I had some done @ 8 years ago @tri-city for the 72 monte...front and rear, one was 285, the other 300, and the same prices for chevelle, not sure why the price difference between front and rears. (I assume the cost has risen since) Front bumper guards were 75 a piece then. Recently spent 40 UPS shipping each way to have the chevelle rear bumper re-rechromed under their lifetime warranty.

The chrome on my tri-city bumpers has a much deeper shine than my reproductions, but the reproduction is not a straightened and repaired rechrome....so the fit and finish are better in that regard, especially the fit around the taillights.

If you go rechrome, just be sure and supply them with as perfect a core as possible.

• Like 1

I agree that the trip-city bumpers do look deep in chrome.and yes they have to be good candidates as for being straight.Leo has a great source for this bumpers and I for one am very pleased with the ones I have. I think the price reflects that. My front one is 10 yrs old the rear is 2yrs old and still look great.

Thanks again guys for the tips.I just looked up Leo and tricity.I am leaning more at Leo because for the cost and shipping I am not looking to go that extra mile.I have lots of miles to do with out adding on lolI had my interior done and it should be ready next week or so.I will let you all know how it turned out.Done in black and gray leather.seats and door panels.and I was told he could build me a console but I am going to order one from a catalog.

My car has been converted from coloumn shift to console I was told that their is a company that makes a collar to eliminate the shifter nub once you take the shifter off.Does any one know who this may be?Or if anyone has an old one laying around.I have seen the chrome after markets and all but it's not just the expense but I am not looking to add that much bling.lol

I have seen some people take a die grinder and grind the nub off and then patch it with a piece of metal and JB weld and then bondo it. If I remember correctly a couple of members here have done something similar.

I have seen some people take a die grinder and grind the nub off and then patch it with a piece of metal and JB weld and then bondo it. If I remember correctly a couple of members here have done something similar.

I did an extra column that I bought. Haven't installed it yet.

2012-08-19161552-1.jpg

2012-08-19162242-1.jpg

2012-08-19162208-1.jpg

2012-08-20201451-1.jpg

2012-08-20221702-1.jpg

2012-08-21173253-1.jpg

2012-08-21173228-1.jpg

2012-08-21173237-1.jpg

2012-08-21193817-1.jpg

2012-08-21193806-1.jpg

Rodney, that looks great, you did a fantastic job. Can't wait to see the finished car

Really GREAT job on that Column Rodney. :2beers:   Your gonna start getting requests if you keep that up!  :B

Doug

Thanks guys. I think I need to redo it with less gloss black