A Detailing... A Nice Ride to Dinner... An Exhaust Leak

Spent four hours applying elbow grease to the Monte this afternoon in preparation for a nice drive to meet friends for dinner this evening. 

Washed, tires bleached and dressed, vinyl top conditioned, windows cleaned, chrome polished and a final wipe with quick mist detailer... or so I thought.

I noticed the horizontal surfaces were rough to the touch. Broke out the clay bar and put two and two together... car must’ve been in close proximity to where the valve covers were painted (see the picture below - sure looks like Chevy Orange!). 

Car looks terrific, rode awesome and got a ton of looks. But pulling into the garage I noticed the exhaust tone was different. Suspected a leak somewhere on the passenger side and sure enough I found it immediately. Easy enough fix, but it’s always somethin’...

PS - I had to share a quick video of the exhaust (pre-leak). 

0E41D00D-F134-4629-A076-51A36C979E4C.jpeg

BE4211AD-580D-47B0-9B92-F008982A945D.jpeg

7C17BB64-5216-4FBB-AB3D-853500067301.jpeg

F0BD4A8A-A920-4E3D-A6C6-2956AB945E70.jpeg

3E360656-DA8A-44C6-837C-553355FE991F.jpeg

729A4469-3032-4A44-A0D1-482ABC97383E.jpeg

BD24CF25-B2FD-4058-8D02-869372542405.jpeg

644B7D9B-2EC9-4AFE-94B3-1D81A4609243.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gregs70 said:

Beautiful car man, love the color 

Thanks Greg, I got lucky with finding a Shadow Gray... I would’ve settled for any color SS in this condition.  More pix soon, hopefully with backdrops nicer than my alley 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gerard Munday said:

Your car looks great, hope you had a nice dinner!

Jay and Jenny

Thanks Jay (and Jenny!). Yes, dinner was great, got to catch up with friends we hadn’t seen in a while.  An all around good evening. 

My exhaust broke in the exact same place with the weld on exhaust hanger breaking off. Repaired it with wire feed welder and used factory exhaust hangers and clamps to repair

John S

2 hours ago, John S said:

My exhaust broke in the exact same place with the weld on exhaust hanger breaking off. Repaired it with wire feed welder and used factory exhaust hangers and clamps to repair

John S

Good heads up, thanks John. 

6 hours ago, willie said:

Glen she looks GREAT!!  Glad you had a nice dinner also.    What did you use to spruce up the top?

Thanks Willie.  A coworker recommended this. Directions say to reapply every 3 to 5 weeks. That won’t be an issue because it went on nice and easy.  Did one small area at a time and rub/buffed it in with a clean microfiber towel. For the small strip below the back window I just sprayed some directly on the towel instead of spraying it on the vinyl. 

0649E52E-9CE5-4CD5-A6BD-0443F814D318.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

Looks great and sounds good too. I was never a fan of welded on hangers. Welding them on the pipes always seems like it makes a weak spot. Clamp it. 

Thanks Dtret. I didn’t have a choice as the car arrived with this exhaust, but I was also leaning toward a traditional hanger as the fix.  Don’t get me wrong… I really love the way she sounds, but you’re absolutely correct ... this mounting process obviously leaves the metal compromised.   

21 minutes ago, John S said:

This is what I did to repair it you can see the repair that I built up then ground down.

John S

93AAD300-4EC8-4057-972F-ECF596C3E585.jpeg

Well done. Are you going to do the other side also?  Cause you know it’s coming. Get it on your terms. Lol. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Well done. Are you going to do the other side also?  Cause you know it’s coming. Get it on your terms. Lol. 

Yes the other side is done also. And I also took the other weld on clamps off in the rear and put the original clamps back on. I’ve done this long enough to know that if one side breaks the other is not far behind.

8 hours ago, John S said:

This is what I did to repair it you can see the repair that I built up then ground down.

John S

93AAD300-4EC8-4057-972F-ECF596C3E585.jpeg

Looks nice… And you are absolutely right… It’s Murphy’s Law. The other side will break as soon as I fix this side. 

23 minutes ago, willie said:

Thanks John i will look for it at my local detail shop, and give it a try.0649E52E-9CE5-4CD5-A6BD-0443F814D318.jpeg.d1b4785602b37296d54a0db3fe643eca.jpeg

Let me know what you think. I haven’t had a car with a vinyl top since my ‘81 Granada with the landau top. And it was my daily driver, so I ignored it and never did anything to it other than wash it. This looks good so far, and I’ll reapply as recommended. 

On 8/2/2021 at 2:05 AM, Glen said:

Thanks Willie.  A coworker recommended this. Directions say to reapply every 3 to 5 weeks. That won’t be an issue because it went on nice and easy.  Did one small area at a time and rub/buffed it in with a clean microfiber towel. For the small strip below the back window I just sprayed some directly on the towel instead of spraying it on the vinyl. 

0649E52E-9CE5-4CD5-A6BD-0443F814D318.jpeg

Some members recommended this on the forum previously, used it on my top very pleased 

image.png.07ec8244b9dd6b75342059530639b17f.png