My 1971 SS

ripleydale

5 months after I purchased it, my 1971 SS is finally home, in large part due to Vaughn from this club. What a guy. Never met me before in his life and saying he went out of his way for me is a huge understatement. Took time out of his busy life to drive down to the US border, pick my car up and take it back to Edmonton (6 hours from the border). After being taken by my original transport company, it's great to meet a guy like Vaughn. Couldn't say enough nice things about this guy, and his Monte collection is unbelievable. His black 70 SS is gorgeous and anyone going to Penticton is going to see an amazing car. So back to the SS, I was actually contemplating trying to drive it back to Edmonton. Pretty clear that wasn't going to happen when it would barely start and gas was pouring from the back holley carb bowl (figured that out later). I really don't think it's been driven since 1981, the date of the last plate and inspection sticker.

So it's triple black, highly optioned, 44,000 mile car in original condition. Which means not so good in my case, but all the parts are there. smile GT71SS sold it to me and bought it from the original owner in 2000. He acquired a vast array of parts while he owned the car but I'd say he just stored it the entire time he owned it. Check out the parts pics on the link and see what fit inside the car as it made its way to my place. 2 NOS fenders and inner fenders and lots of other goodies. Unpacking the car was like opening presents at Xmas. Lots of documentation including build sheets, POP, and assorted other documents from the original owner. I even had the original title in my hands, but I had to give it back to GT71SS so he could get me a current Florida title.

So it's going to take a while, but eventually I'll restore it from the ground up. For now, I'll drive my 402 car and plot the SS's restoration.

http://my.inbox.com/photos/ripleydale/index.aspx

Very nice!!

I can honestly say I have become good friends with some on the site. We just came home from a birthday party for RichG.s granddaughter. Its amazing how you can meet such good people from a silly post off of a car site when you think about it!

I talk to a few on a weekly basis and have met a couple also from the site... I hope to meet many more soon

Congrats on the new SS and good luck with it!

!

Very nice find. I love seeing those unrestored exotic cars like that. A 71 SS is just so rare. That Big block and everything still setting down in there. What a find. smileparty

Whats that place with the Monte Carlos and Chevelles with all the weeds grew up around them?

Great find. Good luck with it. Should be stunning when completed. I noticed in the photo with Ripley that there are seat belt holders at the base of the rear seat. Never seen another with those before. I have an NOS set in my basement I ended up with as part of some parts deal I made and never could find out why 2 of them were attached together. Now I know.

I think there are probably a lot of accurate bits and pieces on this car. Vaughn showed me a few things that are proof of the big block or commonly missing. I'll have to take a lot of pictures when I start taking it apart.

Jared, that's the Monte Graveyard. I created a post a while back. The guy is in the process of getting rid of them so I'm going to try and make a deal to salvage whatever I can. He's stripped out what he believes is valuable but I suspect there are a few things left that only a Monte restorer knows are hard to find. I've contacted Leo to get his opinions but haven't spoken to him directly yet. What parts would you save Jared?

I noticed in the pics that your cowl tag has the mysterious "L" on it - Leo has felt that this stand alone "L" for Kansas City made SS's could very well be another "clue" in it being an SS car as we all seem to have it! Very cool!

Hey, that's really cool, Kelly! And yes, Vaughn's a great guy. I'm looking forward to seeing him again and meeting you next month in BC at our Peach City Beach Cruise gathering! smile

Dave

Nice Find!

As for Vaughn, yes, he's a great guy.

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your big block Monte in Penticton next month. smile

Kelly,

It was a pleasure to help and meet you. For me this club is about helping each other out. I have had many members help me in the past and it feels good to return the favour.

Take lots of pictures of your air ride system from front to back. I will be bugging you for info for my next Monte build. grin

Kelly’s SS is in awesome shape. All complete and will be a great restoration. The pictures don’t tell the whole story. Hardly any rust from what I could tell, just sun faded.

I look forward to spending some time with you, Sandy and other club friends in Penticton.

Vaughn