Straighten rear bumper alignment

Hi Folks, I’m getting a new dual exhaust system fit to the manifold next week, so I want to straighten my rear bumper before they are fit. From searching the forum I think I need to loosen the very edge bolt and then just use force to twist it correct. Bit nervous about the twisting part!

Is it the brace mount that needs to be loosened (as per photo)? 

65764605-FADA-4410-A7A2-347178AF45F3.thumb.jpeg.1c5a0596f3d6ad689699f33e1fe36403.jpeg

Are you guys using a ‘hustler stick’ to move the bumper, or a DIY tool, or what? 
9A3CC6B5-0BA3-4C2A-B710-54777A26C1D8.thumb.jpeg.5e9bbc992b634fce673c77aa74393ba0.jpeg

I’m assuming the other side is the way you want it ?  That doesn’t look like a big problem. Try loosening the 4 bolts and that side and see if it will twist. For as big as them bumpers are they are pretty flexible. 

• Like 2

Those corner end pieces can be moved around a little by yanking on them, if you run out of adjustments with the mounting bolt holes. Seems a lot of times someone bumped into something along the way & bent them in, etc. Don't be alarmed if you need to give it a pull to get the final straightening, they move around pretty easy.

I went through the same problem on the same corner.... Must be a blind spot on the left rear ? It was still bent after I got it back from the body lha4.thumb.jpg.af3e7fcb37985b895fa9b5c396edb170.jpgshop. 

What I used was a 24" pipe wrench and wrapped the jaws with lots of rags and tape. You have to be VERY careful how you position the wrench, and do your adjusting in small increments to make sure you don't go to far. 

• Like 2

I just tugged on the rear corners by hand, it bent pretty easy.

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

I was thinking of moving the whole bumper to tighten up the gap across the whole length of the trunk lid, how does the gap look…

2249E8ED-DE98-4997-B84B-80B24A3976DB.thumb.jpeg.2c7f8461b19b8b729bddfb0fea22e356.jpeg

2 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

I was thinking of moving the whole bumper to tighten up the gap across the whole length of the trunk lid, how does the gap look…

Yes, as stated earlier, adjust the bumper to the best position allowed by the available range of all the mounting bracket bolt holes, then if the ends/corners look a little off, give them a tug if necessary.

Sometimes they were pushed in too close to the body, or whacked while someone backed into something so that the vertical leading edge isn't parallel to the quarter panel body line, as in your earlier pictures.

Adjust first, bend second if needed.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 11:25 PM, jft69z said:

Well look at ya, Joe. We’re not all built like little Schwarzenegger‘s. Thanks for reminding us all of our inferiorities 😢

DA075C49-FF2E-4409-BB06-D68DE6590347.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Well look at ya, Joe. We’re not all built like little Schwarzenegger‘s. Thanks for reminding us all of our inferiorities 😢

I almost spit out my lunch, lol.

I'm certainly not the exercise type, that's for sure. More like potato chips and cookies. That extra fat on the a&& helps when tugging on the bumper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Diet potato chips and low-fat cookies?  

Hell no! What would be the point?

Joe if you ever get that big, that hot tub turns into a one-person tub!!!  You just keep eating whatever you want, butter pecan ben and jerry's.   lol

• Haha 1