Nascar not what it used to be

Michael Boyte

Ok , it might just be me .  

I grew up going to Petty Enterprise .  At that time, it was located next door to Lee Petty's house in Level Cross NC.  We used to go there about every other week . The Petty's were always so nice, they would let my brother and myself just roam the shop at will.

Later on my wife and I worked with RJ Reynolds sports marketing, She was a Smoking Joe Camel model ( Jimmy Spencer ) we would travel to every race .

A few years later Kevin Harvick became our neighbor , We both moved about the same time, that was 7 years ago.

I continue to watch Nascar however it just doesn't excite me like it used to.  I believe it to be difficult for most people to relate to the cars of today. I see so very little character in the cars , they all look the same now.  And a select few Billionaires basically controlling the field. 

I believe that the car owners should only be allowed 1 (one) car.   Then , the field would be more relatable to the average person and more competitive.  Now Nascar is nothing but money !!!

• Like 5

I was never much of a NASCAR fan, but remember watching Petty always win when I was a kid. 

Certainly has come a long way from the back roads, running bootleg booze from the police days.

• Like 2

I used to be a huge fan, but to quote Richard Petty, its no longer a sport, its entertainment. I haven't been to a race since 2013, and don't watch any. I still follow the headlines, probably my last year since KH is retiring. I do follow the Dale Jr podcast because he mostly focus's on the history of the sport and brings in some of the old timers. Ive been to lazy to take down the 2 hoods I have hanging in the living room, but they'll be going out to the garage soon.🤣 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Ive been to lazy to take down the 2 hoods I have hanging in the living room, but they'll be going out to the garage soon.🤣 

Bachelor life...😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Bachelor life...😁

Ok look who’s talking.  ‘Mr. Grinch in the living room. Left turn racing has never interested me in the least. I’m going to the Indy 500, not how I want to spend my day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Ok look who’s talking.  ‘Mr. Grinch in the living room. 

My GF loves the Grinch, in fact, she got me those slippers, as well as a few other things along the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ok look who’s talking.  ‘Mr. Grinch in the living room. Left turn racing has never interested me in the least. I’m going to the Indy 500, not how I want to spend my day. 

Also look whose talking...Mr Monte parts taking up the entire guest room and more.  

rob

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1
  • Haha 1

I agree it has changed a lot and money is king. With that said I still watch and it is pretty rare that I miss a race. It is a lot more competitive these days than it used to be which I like. I believe there were 19 different winners last year which was great. I was a big fan of Harry Gant (still am) and haven’t really picked a favourite since he retired in 1994. I have a few guys I root for though but not the same fan level as I did for Gant.

• Like 2

Since Watkins Glen International is about 20 minutes from my place, we always go to the road course race ( general admission now). That's the best thing for NASCAR racers.It's a bit more competitive in my book. I just wish they would include "the boot" in this race. Indy racing was here for 5 yrs and that was really good to watch. I'm always tuned into the Daytona 500 race just to see who is doing well and looking to see who I believe can get the championship. It's not like when I was a kid (whoa!) But it's fast and a little rubbin' fenders never hurt anyone!!

• Like 2