Wheels

Tmac

I was looking around trying to price some Rallys 15x8 with the 4.5 inch back spacing. I can find alot just not the backspacing. Any place ya'll  found them or are you able to call and order these? Was thinking about Keystone Klassics as well.

1 hour ago, Michael Boyte said:

I absolutely love the Keystone Klassics . 

I would double check the backspacing . I might be wrong, I believe that the 5.5 backspacing would work a little better. 

I would be okay with that too, but I can't seem to find anything deeper than 4.25

21 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

5 inch to 5.5 inches of backspacing would fit best depending on the rim and tire combo. 

Isn't there a wheel/tire combo chart in here somewhere?

1 hour ago, Tmac said:

Isn't there a wheel/tire combo chart in here somewhere?

The https://tiresize.com/ site has outstanding online tools for comparing tire sizes and calculating wheel offsets.  If you scroll down a couple of pages in their excellent Wheel Offset Calculator tool, you will find a very useful chart that gives you a backspace figure for any given wheel width and offset. 

To find the backspace for any wheel at zero offset simply add 1 to the wheel width and divide the sum by 2.  Next you add the desired offset (usually given in millimeters to avoid confusion with backspace which is given in inches).  Positive offset moves the wheel inboard.  Negative offset moves the wheel outboard.

Lots of trial and error experience with wheel/tire combos on first gen Montes shows that the best wheel offsets (independent of wheel width) are +6 mm for the front and +12 mm for the rear.  Those offsets will keep any wheel/tire combo centered within the available wheelwell space.  If you want to use the same wheel width on all four, a good compromise is an offset of +8mm (or .30") which is exactly what the factory spec is for the 15 x7 rally wheels.

So, for a 15x8 wheel, zero offset is at 4.5" backspace (8+1)/2 = 4.5 and then adding a +12 mm offset (or +1/2") increases the required backspace to 5". For most wider tires, having more backspace (i.e. 5.5" on an 8" wide wheel) is better than having too little if you want to maintain clearance between the sidewall and the wheelwell lip of your quarter panel.  However, too much backspace can also get you in trouble with rubbing on tight turns when used on the front.

If you are planning to mount a 275x60-15 or larger tire on the rear using a 15x8 wheel with only 4.5" backspace, you will have little, if any, outboard sidewall clearance (unless you don't mind trimming the wheelwell lip). I believe that's why others have already advised using a 5" backspace on a 15x8" wheel.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

18 minutes ago, MCfan said:

The https://tiresize.com/ site has outstanding online tools for comparing tire sizes and calculating wheel offsets.  If you scroll down a couple of pages in their excellent Wheel Offset Calculator tool, you will find a very useful chart that gives you a backspace figure for any given wheel width and offset. 

To find the backspace for any wheel at zero offset simply add 1 to the wheel width and divide the sum by 2.  Next you add the desired offset (usually given in millimeters to avoid confusion with backspace which is given in inches).  Positive offset moves the wheel inboard.  Negative offset moves the wheel outboard.

Lots of trial and error experience with wheel/tire combos on first gen Montes shows that the best wheel offsets (independent of wheel width) are +6 mm for the front and +12 mm for the rear.  Those offsets will keep any wheel/tire combo centered within the available wheelwell space.  If you want to use the same wheel width on all four, a good compromise is an offset of +8mm (or .30") which is exactly what the factory spec is for the 15 x7 rally wheels.

So, for a 15x8 wheel, zero offset is at 4.5" backspace (8+1)/2 = 4.5 and then adding a +12 mm offset (or +1/2") increases the required backspace to 5". For most wider tires, having more backspace (i.e. 5.5" on an 8" wide wheel) is better than having too little if you want to maintain clearance between the sidewall and the wheelwell lip of your quarter panel.  However, too much backspace can also get you in trouble with rubbing on tight turns when used on the front.

If you are planning to mount a 275x60-15 or larger tire on the rear using a 15x8 wheel with only 4.5" backspace, you will have little, if any, outboard sidewall clearance (unless you don't mind trimming the wheelwell lip). I believe that's why others have already advised using a 5" backspace on a 15x8" wheel.

Great info, thanks alot!

Summit carries them. Wheel Vintiques is the manufacturer. 15x8 with a 5 inch backspacing is the correct size correct. I run a 275-60-15 on that rim with no fitment issues whatsoever. 

• Like 6
  • Thank You! 1

3 hours ago, Montemedic said:

Summit carries them. Wheel Vintiques is the manufacturer. 15x8 with a 5 inch backspacing is the correct size correct. I run a 275-60-15 on that rim with no fitment issues whatsoever. 

Couldn't find any keystone classics 15x8 with 5" backspace. But as CK mentioned 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-50-583405

• Like 1

Below is our Data base link for wheels and tires. 

Keep in mind an 8" wide wheel for the rear with 5" b.s. will work but the same wheel mounted in the front may hit a tie rod or something else. You can go with less b.s. but then the 8" rim will have a deeper look on the front and in my opinion would look bad comparing it to the back.

You would have to get a 7" wheel with 4" of b.s. to make them look the same.

I put 15x8 4.5" backspace on my 72 without fitment issues (front and rear). Prior to the 4.5" backspace, the car had 4" backspace (front and rear), which rubbed front and rear over bumps or sharp turns. I wouldn't go any less than 4.5" backspace.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Montemedic said:

Ditto