Reproduction inner fenders

MikeResko

Mike, I used the steel inners on mine also. They went in quite easy. No major adjustments on the holes. You do not use the bolt at the rear that goes to the upright brace, but that's no big deal. They will stiffen the front end up.

I've heard some horror stories on the repro's about the fit. But them some guys put them in with no trouble at all.

Scott why did you not put the bolts into the upright brace? I just got done going thru mine and added all the bolts, including the uprights. I had to drill a new hole as the plastic did not line up with the factory one..

Ian

Scott why did you not put the bolts into the upright brace? I just got done going thru mine and added all the bolts, including the uprights. I had to drill a new hole as the plastic did not line up with the factory one..

Ian

Originally Posted By: Allan
The metal ones are not formed the same as the plastic and there is about a 2" gap between the back of the inner fender and the brace so it would not work anyway.

Reality is you don't need it with the metal inners since the material is so much stiffer than the plastic anyway.

That's why Ian! roflrofl

Hey! While we're on the subject! I have a question.. Leo you can chime in.. grin here please. Do these holes look awful big on these N.O.S. fenderwells? ebay seller The holes common to the fenders along the top. I know they require fender washers, but I've never seen the holes that large. Including the other holes. I'm sure they would come in handy for alignment purposes but even though they look awful big. What's your take! Anyone else can chime in!

74ba_12.jpg

rob... don't your front marker light harnii go thru the 'extension' that bolts onto the front of the inner fender?

That's where mine go, and I'm still using gm plastic inners that are just about shot smile

that's definitely not how they came, a part can only be a NOS part once, after it's been installed it's no longer a NOS part....IT'S A USED PART

remember...NOS = NEW!!! old stock

Just what I was thinking.. looks like they've been installed! Maybe not, but them holes look awful big. The large hole for the harness where the grommet lays, it should be larger to accept the grommet. If they never been installed on a car. Someone has butchered them awful nice! nutz

Well I don't know if they've been installed or not (one still does have the GM sticker and I don't see any bolt marks in the plastic) but the holes for the marker lights do belong in the plastic like they are shown (not through the extensions Tim). I have found that on most NOS wheel wells (besides the one's that came originally) the hole for the grommet is typically a bit bigger than it should be (I don't know why). Those large holes on the top are correct as well. The large holes are covered by the big washers and give plenty of space for adjusting.

I have installed plenty of NOS wheel wells.....to me those do appear to be NOS....fact is, even most NOS wheel wells come all beat up because they don't come in a box and have been passed around for the last 37 years or so.....

If I had $400, I would have already bought them.....typically they go for about $800.....Ask Leo.....

My 2 cents,

Steve

You have to be careful on the plastic reproductions, I've seen several different styles out there, one (I believe from the parts place) and a junky version. The Parts Place one worked out well, and the other one didn't fit right, and had strange large gaps between the frame and itself.

if you look at the picture of both of them sitting side-by-side, you'll see the holes where the extension to the core support bolts on...the one on the left, the two lower holes have been enlarged, compare it to the one on the right

The N.O.S. ones on ebay sold already. They looked good except for those huge holes! The two sets I've done other than cracked, didn't have holes that big? From an alignment perspective I can see the larger holes coming in handy, but aesthetically speaking (peering through the engine compartment) they'd look awful with huge holes? The screws poke right through the fender, what's keeping those gapping holes from being seen from the engine compartment? What! The fender washers? Am I missing something? I'll have to check the set of used ones I have.

Rod

steve the one in the extention is stock. on the passangers side it sits just in front of the battery and i have the side marker light going behind the battery i did not take a pic of that side. here are some pics steve, here is where the turn signal harness comes out 001-25.jpg. here is the side marker light 002-30.jpg the other hole has wires for my battery tender run out of it.

I will have to look at mine and post how mine run. I remember putting holes in my new inner fenders in the same place as my old ones. My extensions are the origional.

Rob