My Custom project

Dtret

3 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Happy birthday Dennis,  make sure if you do come to Syracuse eventually you have to bring the banana 

If you come to Carlisle I will sure bring it also. Syracuse is always a possibility. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Part of today was spent sandblasting 70 parts. That bored me so I continued destinking the 72. It doesn’t really bother me but Karen will have no part of it, she won’t even sit in it. ( I should leave it be. Lol jk). Now I have to scrub everything. ( the loose wires are to the fm converter and the cassette player, he ran separate speakers for them and didn’t cut into the harness at all.  (Good Previous owner))

IMG_5773.jpeg

IMG_5772.jpeg

IMG_5770.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

• Like 4

A few things that I didn’t know about the 72. 
Retractable lap belts in the rear and a weight pressure sensor in the passenger seat that , I’m guessing, triggers power to the floor seat belt retractor she the car is put in gear. The driver side is always powered. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve never seen these things before. My 70 and 71 has none of it. 

IMG_5777.jpeg

IMG_5770.jpeg

• Like 5

Also I had no interior lights when I opened the passenger door. I found a broken wire at the door jamb switch and repaired that too. With parts that I had “ in stock”. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dennis first of all i would of used a bottle of Febreze before i did all that work, because you are opening a can of worms there!!!   Second yes my pass side bucket has that metal senser in it also. The whole idea NOT to touch that car was so you can drive it.   lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i believe that the strap under the seat is for the seat belt warning light,that goes on if the seat belts are are fastened , i took mine out in the early 80s because as i would start the car it was pretty annoying ,but still have it ,  my 72 roger

Roger is right, that sensor under the passenger seat is part of that dash warning light circuit. There should be yellow/black wires going to the seat retractors too.

From '72 GM Service Manual:

72 Monte.JPG

72 Monte1.1.JPG

• Like 3

It’s all there and yes the annoying thing works, explains why the PO just left the seat belts buckled all the time. It was just something I never seen before, geez these new fangled cars. Lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

Dennis first of all i would of used a bottle of Febreze before i did all that work, because you are opening a can of worms there!!!   Second yes my pass side bucket has that metal senser in it also. The whole idea NOT to touch that car was so you can drive it.   lol

I have get the mouse houses out from previous storage. Nothing bad just some remnants. Just cleaning everything and putting it back together. It all came apart fine no worms. 

• Like 4

On 8/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, Dtret said:

A few things that I didn’t know about the 72. 
Retractable lap belts in the rear and a weight pressure sensor in the passenger seat that , I’m guessing, triggers power to the floor seat belt retractor she the car is put in gear. The driver side is always powered. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve never seen these things before. My 70 and 71 has none of it. 

IMG_5777.jpeg

IMG_5770.jpeg

You better double check your build sheet. Thats a rare RPO (ES1). It’s an Ejector Seat for when front seat passengers get outta pocket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/2/2023 at 6:47 PM, willie said:

The whole idea NOT to touch that car was so you can drive it.   lol

hey Willie  i thought I heard that too..."I'm just gonna  drive this one a while before tearing into it."   (0r was that the W code custom??) either way it will be another beauty when its done!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Blake350 said:

hey Willie  i thought I heard that too..."I'm just gonna  drive this one a while before tearing into it."   (0r was that the W code custom??) either way it will be another beauty when its done!!

Just cleaning the stink and replacing the package tray and trunk mat. That’s it. I’m waiting for the parts, hopefully this week but most of it will be reassembled today. I’m glad I did it, the mold smell was bad. 

• Like 6

Very nice, good for you!

Does it smell better inside, or aren't you brave enough to roll the windows up and let it sit a couple of days 😁

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Very nice, good for you!

Does it smell better inside, or aren't you brave enough to roll the windows up and let it sit a couple of days 😁

It does.  Windows are closed now. I’ll let you know the results. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dtret said:

Just cleaning the stink and replacing the package tray and trunk mat. That’s it. I’m waiting for the parts, hopefully this week but most of it will be reassembled today. I’m glad I did it, the mold smell was bad. 

WHAT ???? Nothing "IN STOCK" ? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, willie said:

Two things Dennis, 1) does it smell better???

2) Has Karen ridden in it yet????  If not, why?????

Yes and no. I never started it. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I took the car out for a drive yesterday (and yes it smells a lot better )but interestingly enough with the recent cleanup of the interior I guess the clock decided to come on board and play nice. I’m guessing you don’t see many 51 year old clocks still working.

• Like 1