1971 SS 454 4 speed electrical issues

Joe Szabo

I will start at the beginning. 5 years ago the restoration was started on the 71. After 3 years and with the aid of an an attorney the car was recovered in a disassembled state and was given to another shop to complete. The issues we have encountered so far are as follows.

1. Starter will not engage. We have jumped across the solenoid and it will turn over. Measuring the voltage at the solenoid at the terminal closest to the engine is 8 V DC when the key is in the start position. When turning the key to the start position the the horn buzzer relay clicks. The neutral start on the clutch was not physically or electrically  connected. Tested the sw and mounted correctly to the clutch.

None of the gauges on the dash are responding when the key is in the on position. Dash lights are also not working.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Joe

.IMG-0052.thumb.jpg.d4b61b5315463d98a083a2a22ea99dee.jpg

IMG-0054.jpg

That was going to be our next step. We have a factory new dash to replace as the existing one has holes drilled in it. That would explain why all of the gauges are not responding when the key is in the on position.  All of the grounds check good from the frame, body and engine. I forgot to mention that this SS454 has the LS6 engine with 425 HP. From what I know this is a rare car to have it mated to the 4 speed trans.

Thanks Paul

IMG-0065.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

The head and brake lights are working and I did not find a ground wire on the bracket.

Let me describe the symptoms with some new info.

The engine will turn over with the key in the start position.

With the key in the on or assy position.

1. None of the gauges are responding. Power windows are not working. Wipers are not working. 

2. The horn and buzzer relay next to the radiator energizes as it should with the door open.

3. The metal frame under the dash has ground wires attached from the instrument panel.  The metal frame is grounded to the body. 

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

dash.jpg

Quick question, when you start the car, do any of the gauges respond? 

(edit) you might look into something like this (yea I know it doesn't include the gauges, its for idiot lights) Not sure if the Chevelle or El Camino are similar, they have ones for the gauge cluster.

https://classiccarwiring.com/products/1970-1971-chevy-chevelle-malibu-monte-carlo-color-wiring-diagram

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Quick question, when you start the car, do any of the gauges respond? 

(edit) you might look into something like this (yea I know it doesn't include the gauges, its for idiot lights) Not sure if the Chevelle or El Camino are similar, they have ones for the gauge cluster.

https://classiccarwiring.com/products/1970-1971-chevy-chevelle-malibu-monte-carlo-color-wiring-diagram

He has the factory manual with the wiring diagrams (he & I talked about it a couple weeks ago).

Monte and SS Chevelle use the same diagram (3 hole dash, vs sweep speedo for standard Chevelle). Both types of diagram are in the manual.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update, slowly working through the electrical issues. Dash is more than halfway out. The mylar PCB on the instrument panel is severely delaminated, new one should be here tomorrow. We have another dash and we be moving the cluster because the original dash was modified for an aftermarket radio/cassette player. Have a repo radio we will install. Keep you posted.

Thanks for all of the support!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the Mylar PCB and changed all dash bulbs and sockets except for the temp gauge that has the fiber optic connection.  When we removed the dash there were 3 wires attached to the same ground as the light switch located on the dash frame . From what I determined those wires were grounded already and  1 should be attached to the cluster and 1 to the E brake. Leaving 1 that I'm not sure where to connect. As of now the only dash light that is lit is the temp gauge ang it will dim as it should.  Headlights, turn signals and high beams and lighter work correctly. Ordered the factory ground straps just to ensure frame, body and engine are properly grounded.

Any help would be appreciated.

A few questions.

The connector below was not connected when the dash was removed. It is located left of the glove box. Any ideas? 

Wire connector 1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Joe Szabo said:

Thanks for the reply. This car has AC and the resister is located in the air box on the firewall. Maybe its the plug if the car has no AC?

Absolutely correct Joe. If the car was non-A/C, that connector would be used inside the car, where the resistor would be located, on the HVAC box. As you discovered, if it's an A/C car, the resistor is in the engine compartment.

• Like 1

A few more questions about the 71 MC attachment below. 

When comparing the 70 non AC MC to the 71 AC MC the 70 has the red wire on the left attached below the air box and close to the fender. The 71 already has a wire connected at this location. Is this the same situation, not used on a AC car?

The other wire on the right in the pic was poorly extended about 3 feet and terminated with a lug that is not connected. I don't remember if I checked if it was grounded. 

Lastly, is this the AC/heater relay for a AC car.

Again, thanks for all of support.

wires.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, Joe Szabo said:

Installed the Mylar PCB and changed all dash bulbs and sockets except for the temp gauge that has the fiber optic connection.  When we removed the dash there were 3 wires attached to the same ground as the light switch located on the dash frame . From what I determined those wires were grounded already and  1 should be attached to the cluster and 1 to the E brake. Leaving 1 that I'm not sure where to connect. As of now the only dash light that is lit is the temp gauge ang it will dim as it should.  Headlights, turn signals and high beams and lighter work correctly. Ordered the factory ground straps just to ensure frame, body and engine are properly grounded.

Any help would be appreciated.

A few questions.

The connector below was not connected when the dash was removed. It is located left of the glove box. Any ideas? 

Wire connector 1.jpg

So you’re saying this plug is NOT used if you have a/c.